Music Master | Teen Ink

Music Master

By SarahMichaela BRONZE, Cary, North Carolina
SarahMichaela BRONZE, Cary, North Carolina

FADE IN:

INT. HOUSE - KITCHEN - MORNING

SIERA, a 17-year-old female, hums a melody as she grabs a bowl from the cabinet and a box of Chex cereal from the pantry.

A glass of orange juice is on the table.

Siera takes a sip of the juice.

She starts to make herself a bowl of cereal, but when she reaches into the fridge,a milk gallon slips out of her hand and lands directly on her foot.

She crumples onto the floor in agony, clutching her foot. 

Suddenly, "Keep Your Head Up" by Andy Grammer starts to play. Siera freezes and looks baffled.

HIDDEN VOICE:  "...I know it's hard to remember sometimes, but, you gotta keep your head up, oh oh..."

Siera inches towards the corner of the kitchen. She keeps one hand around her sore foot, but her attention is focused on what she thinks she hears around her. She looks around. The room seems to be empty.

SIERA: Who's there? I will call the police.

HIDDEN VOICE: Sweetie--I wouldn't do that. Not necessary.  Don't you understand what's happening? Haven't your parents told you about me?

SIERA: Please leave me alone. I have no idea what you're talking about.

HIDDEN VOICE: I can't leave. I'm in your head. Calm down. I mean it, sweetie--calm down.

Siera wipes her eyes and shakily stands up. Her face softens from terrified to curious.

HIDDEN VOICE: I am your Music Master.

SIERA: My who?

MUSIC MASTER: Your Music Master. Every negative feeling you have, I combat them with music that address your emotional needs. Your parents have paid for me. I believe they slipped me into your drink this morning.

Siera looks over at the glass of orange juice. She sits down at the coffee table, puts her head in her hands, and sighs.

SIERA:
(mutters)
This can't be happening. It has to be a dream. Wake up, wake up, wake up…

MUSIC MASTER:
(plays Avicii)
"...So wake me up when it's all over, when I'm wiser and I'm older, all this time I was finding myself, and I didn't know I was lost..."

SIERA: Stop! Please stop! Let me think!

Siera furiously types on her phone and then pauses. The phone beeps. She picks it up, reads it, and gasps.

SIERA: You-you-they, well, you weren't lying. My parents--they bought me a Music Master. I can't deal with this right now. I'm going to be late.

INT. HOUSE - FOYER

Siera lifts her backpack from the floor and opens the front door.

She pauses, takes a deep breath, and leaves the house.

INT. SCHOOL - MATH CLASSROOM

A large group of students write furiously on exam papers, calculators in hand.

The teacher impatiently glances at the clock.

TEACHER: Five minutes left.

Siera softly gasps, leans her head even closer to the paper, and writes even harder.

MUSIC MASTER:
(plays Mozart)
Here is some classical music to help you along, sweetie. Trust me, it has been proven to help.

SIERA: Um, thanks.

Siera grins, tucks her hair behind her ear, and keeps writing.

INT. SCHOOL - LOCKER BAY

A group of girls, including Siera, lean against their lockers laughing and teasing each other. Among them are Siera's friends ASHLEY, CLAIRE, and HEATHER.

ASHLEY: So my fellow senior queens, what are y'all's plan for tonight? Shopping? Movies? Dinner? The night is ours!

CLAIRE: I need new shoes for prom this year, oh, and dinner sounds great!

HEATHER: You all know that anything that involves food, I'm totally in.

SIERA: Hate to break the news, but I'm hanging with Will tonight. Can I take a rain check?

ASHLEY: You're hanging with Will? Baseball star Will? I'd say that's as good an excuse as they come.

The BELL RINGS, and all of the girls smile and exchange goodbyes. They walk off in different directions. 

EXT. PARKING LOT - AFTERNOON

Siera and WILL lean against a car, a few inches between them.

SIERA: So--what are the plans tonight? I'm so excited.

WILL: Yeah, about that…

Siera looks away at the ground.

WILL: Some of my friends invited me over for a pick-up game on the courts, and I couldn't say no. I'm afraid that will take up most of my evening. Maybe I'll catch you some other time. See you around Siena.

Will saunters away.

SIERA: It's Siera.
(mutters)
Jerk.

Siera opens her car door, gets in, and starts it.

INT. CAR

Siera sits with her head in her hands. Sounds of sniffling can be heard.

MUSIC MASTER:
(plays Beyonce)
"...Baby I won't shed a tear for you, I won't lose a wink of sleep. Because the truth of the matter is replacing you is so easy..."

Siera straightens up and smiles.

INT. DINING ROOM - EVENING

Siera and her parents eat a meal.

SIERA: So, guys. I've had an interesting day. I'm sure you can guess why.

MOTHER: It worked!

Siera's mother and father exchange joyful glances.

FATHER: We've been waiting to give you this surprise for weeks. Everyone is raving about how well it works for decreasing stress levels. Not to mention, we know our Siera loves her music.

MOTHER: How'd you like it? You left before I could ask you about it this morning.

SIERA: Other than it scaring me half to death, it's been all right I guess. I just wish you had told me.

FATHER:
(with a mouthful of food)
We're so glad it went well. We wanted it to be a surprise.

SIERA: Yeah, I'm okay with it right now. If I'm busy or get sick of it, how do I turn it off?

Siera's parents exchange uneasy glances.

SIERA: What was that look?

FATHER: About that…

MOTHER: It's irreversible.

SIERA: A what?

MOTHER: An irreversible process.

SIERA: Funny guys. Funny.

FATHER: Siera…

MOTHER: You can't turn it off. The technology is so new. We--we just figured you would love it.

Siera jumps out of her seat, and knocks over her drink. Her face turns a dark shade of red. She grabs her chair for support.

FATHER: Honey, are you all right? We figured you wouldn't mind. It's just music.

SIERA: I can't…

She starts backing out of the room.

SIERA: I can't believe this.

MUSIC MASTER:
(plays Montgomery Gentry)
"...that's all right, I'm OK, it ain't nothin' but another day..."

SIERA: Shut up!

Siera storms out of the room. Her parents set their utensils down and glance at each other.

INT. SIERA’S ROOM - BED - NIGHT

Siera lies under blankets in the dark, with her eyes open.

THUNDER rolls in the near distance and lightning flashes in patterns against the window curtains.

Siera tosses and turns in her bed.

MUSIC MASTER: Afraid of storms?

Siera stares blankly into the darkness.

MUSIC MASTER: Well if you won't respond...
(plays Rascal Flatts)
"...I will stand by you, I will help you through, when you've done all you can do, and you can't cope..."

Siera rolls over in bed with her back to the windows. She sobs.

MUSIC MASTER:
(plays The Beatles)
...Now it's time to say good night, good night sleep tight, now the sun turns out his light…

FADE OUT: