An Even SIx | Teen Ink

An Even SIx

By jacktmason SILVER, Franklin, Wisconsin
jacktmason SILVER, Franklin, Wisconsin

Acting is not about being someone different. It's finding the similarity in what is apparently different, then finding myself in there. - Meryl Streep

An Even Six

Plot: Zach Olson has lost who he is.  He no longer has the emotions that he has always had with him.  Throughout the play he is introduced to people, his emotions who have been sent to him to help him rediscover who he is.  After many attempts, Zach’s emotions finally help him realize that they are a part of him.  To make sure that Zach is not lonely once they all leave, they send him someone to be with Zach so that he isn’t alone.

Characters:
Zach Olson: Zach is a very bland person in the beginning of the play because he is missing his emotions.  Throughout the play as he rediscovers them, and he becomes more himself.
Patricia Roberts is one of Zach’s emotions.  She is empathy, so she understands people’s emotions and can put herself in that person’s shoes.
Nicholas Blue is one of Zach’s emotions.  He is Loneliness, and he shadows Zach for most of the play because he is obviously lonely.
Sarah Scott is one of Zach’s emotions.  She is Sass, or Sarcasm and basically leaves Zach speechless every time they have an encounter.
Oscar Hill is one of Zach’s emotions.  He is obsessiveness, so once he gets introduced to something Zach is interested in he becomes immediately obsessed.
Garrett Reed is one of Zach’s emotions.  He is clumsiness, so he is falling or bumping into people constantly.  He is just an awkward person.
Other Characters: Waiter, Waitress(Linda), Darren

ACT l

Zach Olson is a twenty
four year old guy who 
really is satisfied with his Life.  In reality though he is really anything but satisfied, especially lonely, he just doesn’t know it.  The other five characters are Zach’s emotions, Empathy, Loneliness, Sass, Obsessiveness, and Clumsiness.  All of these emotions are a part of Zach, but he doesn’t realize that they are.  Zach is the only one who can see these emotions, no one else can.  The world may think he’s going crazy, but he’s just finding himself.
Scene 1: A stroll in the park
Stage is dark with a bench placed CS L with Patricia sitting on the left side of it.
     Patricia
    (Sitting on the bench)

Zach
    (Walking on from SR slowly)

Nicholas
    (Following Zach like his shadow. Sits behind bench, directly behind Zach)

Zach
    (Sits down on bench next to Patricia, but does not see her. Sighs putting face in hands, rubbing his temples)

Patricia
Rough day huh?

Zach
    (Jumps slightly and looks out of his head in hands)
You have no idea.

Patricia
Want to talk about it?

Zach
Not particularly.

Patricia
That bad huh?

Zach
Worse.

Patricia
Oh…

Zach
Do you have any idea how it feels for your entire work place to laugh at you because you spilled coffee on yourself.  It’s not great.  I thought today was going to be fine, I had a business proposal I was working on and got my coffee this morning.  Then, when I was at my desk, my printer turned on and vibrated my coffee right off the table into my lap, it looked like I pissed myself.

Patricia
Well I can’t say that’s ever happened to me, but I don’t really have a job, well I do, but I don’t get money for it.

Zach
So you’re an intern?

Patricia
Sure.

(Patricia stands up and begins to walk off center stage left.  Stops mid-way to turn to Zach)

Patricia
I’ll see ya ‘round Zach.

Zach
How do know my name?

(Patricia turns and walks offstage left without answering his question. Enter Sarah from Down Stage Right walking towards Zach.)

Sarah
Yo Zach, what up my main man, how long has it been?

(Sarah grabs his hand and pulls him off the bench into a bro hug.  Zach resists because he does not recognize her)

Zach
    (Shoves Sarah off of him)
What the hell was that?  I have never seen you before in my entire life.  Who are you?

Sarah
First off, it’s a bro hug man, and second, you’re kidding me right?

Zach
No... Should I know you?

Sarah
Um, of course I looked different back then, but come on, I’m way hotter now, thank god for small favors.

Zach
Back then?  What’re you talking about?

Sarah
Sixth grade camp dude, I was in your group.  Remember? I was your partner for literally everything.  Don’t tell me you forgot me.

Zach
I, uh, no, I recognize you now.

Sarah
Nice try man, but I know when someone is lying to me.

Zach
Well, I’m sorry but I don’t remember you at all.  Sixth grade camp feels like ages ago.

Sarah
Well, I can bet you won’t forget me this time.
   (Sarah winks at Zach and exits stage left)

Nicholas
    (Still shadowing Zach, following him on the stage)

Zach
    (Pacing back and forth, not to audience)
Why are people being so weird today?  It’s like the world has gone crazy and I’m just caught in the middle of it.  Like that first girl I met today, what was her name, she never even told me!  She was trying to get all close and personal with me, I guess I do see that being empathetic can have its perks, but not today.  I just wanted to be left alone, like I always am, but of course the day I want what I usually have, I get the opposite.  Now, I guess it was nice of her to ask me how my day was going, but she had to of known it wasn’t good, I mean come on, my coffee stained paints were pretty obvious.  And that second girl, whatever her name was reminded me of an old childhood friend.  She was always cracking jokes at me, and some of them were funny, but most were cringy beyond belief.  I never expected to have another person like that in my life, but here we are.  I better go finish that business proposal, I’ve got a big day tomorrow.

(Zach and Nicholas exit Stage Right and the lights go dim for a scene change.)

Scene 2: The Proposal

Zach
    (Enter Stage Right in a suit with a briefcase)
Finally, yesterday was rough, but today is a new day.

(Zach walks up stage center where there is a table with businessmen and women sitting all ready to hear his proposal.)

Jeffrey
Zach, I hope you don’t mind, but I’ve invited a few of my associates to listen in on this proposal to give me their professional opinions.

Zach
    (Slightly nervous addressing the businessmen and women.)
No that’s perfect, the more the better.  My name is Zach everyone and I’m an employee here at Doc it or Drop it inc.  I’ve been here for over six years, and I’ve come up with a new idea that I believe can really push the company forward.

Oscar
Please continue Zach.

Zach
Well as you know, this business is solely based on our websites.  Everything in this company is online.  I think that this has really gotten us far in our progress, but I think we can go even further.  I am suggesting that we fund a warehouse where we can file away all of our records so that we do not have a chance on losing all the progress this company has already made.  Now, this building would be built not too far from here actually.  I found a nice piece of land that is perfect for building this warehouse.  I think it would be valuable because then we can be sure that we have all of our records safe from being destroyed.  If approved, construction would start for this in two months so we can have it done and ready before the winter season starts.

Oscar
This sounds like a wonderful idea!  I’ve never trusted the internet personally, so I think building a warehouse to keep the records safe would be a valued addition to this company and we’d be stupid to refuse.

Jeffrey
Let’s take a vote.  All those in favor of building this new warehouse raise your hands.

(Everyone raises their hands in favor of the warehouse)

Jeffrey
    (Looking around)
Looks like the vote is unanimous.  It’s settled then, the warehouse will begin its construction in two months.  Congratulations Zach, it was a wonderful proposal.  The meeting has now come to an end if no one else has anything to bring up.
Jeffrey
(Looking around at everyone for someone to speak up)
Well, then you are all dismissed, we will see you all back here next month.

(Outside of the meeting Oscar catches up to Zach)

Oscar
Zach, hang on a second.  I just had to come tell you personally that your idea was awesome.  I really think it’s going to help this company take a step in the right direction.

Zach
Thanks, I uh, who are you again?

Oscar
Oh my bad, I’m Oscar Hill, I just started here a few days ago.  I’ve been working in business for about six years now however.

Zach
Oh, well it’s very nice to meet you Oscar, and welcome to the company.

(Oscar and Zach shake hands)

Oscar
Thank you.  You know, I’ve been really looking for some pointers on how to run a business and you seem to know an awful lot.  Care to join me for coffee down the street.  I’m meeting up with my sister already, and would love for you to join us.
     Zach
    (Hesitantly looks down at pants)
Well, I suppose I don’t have anything else I’m doing tonight, and I could use a little celebration.

Oscar
That’s the spirit.  Meet me at the Frank Cafe down the street in an hour.

(Oscar waves goodbye to Zach and heads offstage left)

Zach
I guess I’m going out for coffee, maybe this time it will end up in my mouth instead of on my pants.

Scene 3: Everyone

(Table and chairs set up Down Stage Left with Patricia, Sarah, Oscar, and Garrett.)

Enter Zach Stage Right
     Zach
    (Makes his way over to the group waving to him at the table with Nicholas following close behind.)

Oscar
Zach, please have a seat.

Zach
Uh, what are you all doing here?

Oscar
Zach, this is my sister Patricia, our cousin Sarah, and her uh, her…

Sarah
Boyfriend

Oscar
Right. Her boyfriend Garrett.

Sarah
What’s wrong Zach? Cat got your tongue.
   (Sarah lets out an obnoxious laugh)

Zach
I... I... I met you all before.

Oscar
Indeed you have Zach.  We have some explaining to do, but it’ll all make sense soon enough.

Patricia
Zach.  All five of us were brought to you for a reason.  You have been missing part of yourself, and it’s taken a toll on your personality.  You’ve lost who you are.  We are here to help you find yourself again.

Zach
First off, what do you mean by I’ve lost part of myself?  I’m the same person I’ve always been.  I don’t need help from people I’ve met in the last few days.

Garrett
We are here to stay whether you like it or not Zach.

Zach
Great, just what I need.  I’m going home, I don’t need this.

Waiter
    (Walks up to table)
Excuse me sir, but you have to pay before you can leave.

Zach
They can handle the bill.

Waiter
Sir, you were sitting alone, there is no one else here but you.

Zach
    (Eyes Wide)
So you’re saying there is no one else sitting at this table right now.

(Patricia, Sarah, Oscar, and Garrett all shake their heads.)
     Waiter
Nope, just you sir, now about the bill...

Zach
Um, thanks, I’ve got it.
    (Zach reaches for the bill and takes it from the Waiter.)

Waiter exits Up Stage Left

Zach
So...

Oscar
Yes, you’re the only one who can see us.  We are here to help you and that’s it.

Zach
So Patricia, when you said you had a job...

Patricia
You are my job.

Zach
Sarah, what about you, and sixth grade camp?

Sarah
I lied Zach, I was trying to make you more comfortable around me.  I thought if I brought back a childhood memory you would ease up to me.

Zach
And Oscar... What about the meeting?

Oscar
No one heard me but you.  They still loved your idea, and it is approved, I was just there so I could introduce myself.

Zach
I’m getting light-headed

Garrett
I know this is a lot to process Zach, but I promise, everything will be back to normal in no time at all.
     Zach
I just... I need some fresh air.

(Zach steps out of the cafe and gasps for breath as he tries to process what he had just been told.  Everyone else steps outside and sees that Nicholas has his hand on Zach’s shoulder, comforting him.)

Zach
What are you all here to help me find?

Sarah
That’s for us to know and you to find out.

Zach
You can’t just tell me?

Oscar
You wouldn’t believe us even if we did.

(Oscar, Sarah, Patricia, and Garrett all exit Center Stage Left leaving Nicholas and Zach on stage alone.)

Nicholas
You know, you’re not alone, right?

Zach
    (Jumps from hearing Nick’s voice)
I’m pretty sure I am, but it’s not like it matters, I can live my life just the same.

Nicholas
I once thought just like you, that no one loved me.

Zach
Yeah, well what does that matter, I don’t know you.

Nicholas
Zach, I am you.

(Stage goes black and the curtain comes down as Nicholas and Zach stare at each other.)

End of Act l

ACT ll
Scene 1: Clumsy’s what they call me
    (Stage is set with a bar and stools Upstage Center with Zach sitting on the left and Garrett on the right.  Facing each other.  Stage has an orange glow.)

Zach
So you’re telling me that no one else can see you?  Like, at all?

Garrett
Yup.  No one but you and well, we can see each other too.

Zach
    (Rubbing his chin)
Hmm, well why me?

Garret
It’s not like we get to choose who we help.  We are all the same, just different personalities.

Zach
What do you mean we are all the same?

Garrett
It’s something you have to discover on your own, I can’t tell you because then I would be stuck here forever.

Zach
Stuck here forever?  Where exactly are you from?

Garrett
From deep within Zach.

Zach
What does that mean Garrett?

Garrett
It doesn’t matter Zach, we aren’t from around here.  None of us.  Once you discover it on your own you will realize why we couldn’t tell you.

Zach
This is all just too weird.  How am I supposed to figure this all out, I’m all alone.

Garrett
I’m sure you’ll think of something, now if you’ll excuse me, I have to go meet up with the others.  We have a lot to discuss.

(Garrett turns to get off the stool and he trips off of it and face plants.)

Garrett
    (Jumps right back up)
I’m fine, I’m okay.  I’ll see you in a little while Zach.

(Garrett turns to leave running right into the bartender with a platter of drinks spilling all over him.)

Zach
Garrett look out!!

Garrett
Agh!

(Garrett falls to the ground now all wet and cold.  He shivers.  Zach shivers too as if he were cold)

Zach
Why did I just shiver?  I’m not even cold.  Wait, did I shiver cause you did?  Are we... No, we can’t be... That’s not possible!

Garrett
Zach, we are the same person.

Zach
Now you too!  First Nicholas and now you!

Garrett
So Nick told you too?

Zach
Too? Are you both me?

Garrett
Technically yes, but I can’t tell you more than that.

Zach
So, you’re both me? This is a lot to digest Garrett.

Garrett
I know, but you’ll be fine.  With time you will be back to normal.

Zach
Well alright.  Here, let me at least help you dry your shirt

(Zach tries to get up but he trips the exact same way Garrett did. Garrett catches Zach and Zach looks up into his eyes.)

Zach
Umm, thanks Garrett.

Garrett
My pleasure.  Do you want to come with to see all the others?

Zach
Sure.  Thanks again for catching me.  I’ve never been that clumsy before, I don’t know what came over me.

Garrett
    (Smiling.  Under his breath)
You’re just finding yourself Zach.

Zach
What was that Garrett?

Garrett
It’s nothing, come on.  We have to get back to the others.
    (Still smiling)

Garrett and Zach both exit stage left to go find the others and the stage goes black for a scene change bringing on a couch two chairs and a small table.

Scene 2

Enter Patricia, Sarah, Oscar, Garrett and Nicholas stage left meeting center stage to sit down on the couch and chairs.

Sarah
    (Addressing Garrett)
So he did the same thing as you, you’re sure.  Like completely fell on his ass face plant.

Garrett
Trust me, he went down, just like I did a moment before.

Oscar
Do you think he’s realizing he’s clumsy?  You could be done here pretty soon Garrett!

Garrett
I think he’s figuring it out yeah.  He looked like he had realized something when I caught him, so maybe he knows.  I’m excited to find out.

Patricia
I would be too, being able to be back in bed, doing our normal activities.

Garrett
Yeah, I’m hoping, he should be here any minute, he told me he was coming.

Enter Zach stage right coming to meet the others

Zach
    (Pointing at Garrett)
You

Garrett
Yes Zach?

Zach
I was supposed to realize that I’m clumsy, weren’t I?

(All eyes go wide staring at Zach)

Garrett
What makes you say that?

Zach
Don’t play this game anymore.  I thought about it a lot after we had left.  I got home and realized that you are part of me.  After we had both fallen off the stool and face planted and I got cold when you did, I realized that I’m clumsy.  That’s what I’ve been missing.

Garrett
    (Glancing back at the others tears in his eyes.  They all nod to him.  Garrett stands up to meet Zach.)

Zach
What’re you doing Garrett?

Garrett
You don’t need me anymore.  You’ve discovered your clumsiness, my work here is done.  All you need to do is hug me to, in a way set me free.

Zach
Where will you go?

Garrett
I’ll always be with you, just not in person.

(Zach walks over to Garrett and pulls him into an embrace.)

Zach
Thank you.

Garrett
The pleasure was all mine.

(The stage goes dark for a moment in enough time for Garrett to exit the stage.  Lights come back up with Zach standing in the same spot without Garrett still holding his arms out like he’s giving him a hug.)

Zach
    (Looking at the rest of the group)
I feel... different.

Sarah
Well I’d sure hope so, you have a person inside of you.

Patricia
Sarah!

Sarah
What? I’m just trying to lighten the mood!

Patricia
Well, you’re not helping, we just lost Garrett and you are here trying to crack jokes, what is wro..

Zach
Patricia, it’s fine.  She just doesn’t want me to get to hung up on Garrett.  I don’t think I have to though, He’s here.
    (Puts his hand on his heart)

Patricia
    (Smiling)
I’m so glad he helped you, promise you’ll never lose sight of who you are again.

Zach
I promise.  There’s just something I don’t understand.  What are you all here for?

Oscar
Sarah, Patricia and I have all said it before, we can’t tell you.  You just have to figure it out for yourself.  You’re smart, we know you can do it.

(All except Nicholas and Zach exit stage left)

Nicholas
So you’re clumsy huh?

Zach
    (Jumps)
Nicholas you have to stop doing that, you nearly gave me a heart attack.
     Nicholas
Sorry Zach, I’m just trying to be there for you, I know this is weird and scary, and you probably feel alone.  Trust me though, being alone and lonely sucks.  Find someone or something that makes you happy.

Zach
Thanks Nicholas.  Ya know, I think you are my favorite out of the five of you, well four now.  It’s just the rest of them are so pushy, you understand.

Nicholas
It’s because I’ve been in your situation, and I know how it feels.  I wish I would’ve listened to them.

Zach
Who?

Nicholas
The rest of them, Patricia and all.  They tried to tell me to find someone, but it was hard after my girlfriend died.  I’ve just been so...

Zach
Lonely?

Nicholas
Yeah.

Zach
Me too, my girlfriend actually was involved in a car accident a few years ago and died as well, so I know how you feel.

Nicholas
Yeah, you know exactly how I feel.

(Nicholas stands up to leave and Zach stands up and catches his hand.)

Zach
Are you busy tomorrow?

Nicholas
Just watching you.

Zach
Right, I forgot that you guys pretty much only talk to me.  Well since you’re gonna be here already, do you want to go spend the day somewhere?  I know this great place that has the best food in town.

Nicholas
I’d love to, but can Patricia come along, she’s like my best friend.

Zach
Oh, sure, yeah, the more the merrier.

Nicholas
So tomorrow then?

Zach
Tomorrow.

(Zach and Nicholas exit opposite ways.  Zach hangs his head low and scuffs his feet as he sulks off stage.)

Scene 3: The date

(The stage is set up with a table Down Stage Right a napkin holder in the middle of the table and menus on either side.  Patricia, Zach, and Nicholas all enter from Stage Right walking directly to the table and taking a seat.  Waitress walks in from stage left to meet them.)

Waitress
Hello, my name is Linda and I’ll be your server today, what can I get you started with sir?

Zach
    (Forgetting he can only be seen)
They can order first I’m still deciding
    (Looking through menu)
I’ll be just a minute.

Linda
Sir, are you expecting someone?  You’re the only one here.

Zach
Oh, I’m so sorry, I was thinking I came with my brother.  No, I’m alone and I can order now.

Linda
Alright sir, what’ll it be?

Zach
I’ll have the golden tower, the wake me up before you go go, and the toaster.

Linda
All three of those sir?  Well alright, I’ll bring a to go box with all that.

Linda exits stage left

Zach
I’m sorry guys, I feel bad that she can’t see you.  That must suck.

Patricia
We survive, but thank you Zach, I didn’t know you were so emotional.

Zach
I’m not... usually I’m much more straightforward and emotionless.  This feels weird.  My heart is racing at a rapid pace.

(Nicholas exchanges a hopeful glance with Patricia.)

Nicholas
Do you think it’s that you wish she could see us or that you wish she didn’t think you are crazy?

Zach
I think the first one.  I really want her to meet you guys, plus it looks like she’s having a bad day at work.  I’ve been there, it’s not fun.

Patricia
Zach?

Zach
Yes, Patricia?

Patricia
You’ve done it!

Zach
Done what?

Patricia
Found another part of yourself!

Zach
I did?  I mean of course, you’ve been Empathy this whole time, haven’t you?  You are me!  Ever since we first met, you put yourself in my shoes even though it had never even happened to you!

Patricia
I told you that you’re smart Zach.  Now come give me a hug.
    (Patricia stands up and Zach runs to her and pulls her into a tight embrace.)

Zach
Thank you so much Patricia, I’m really going to miss you.

Patricia
It’s been a pleasure Zach.  I’ll always be close by.

Zach
I know.

(The stage goes dark once again for Patricia to exit and then the lights come back up to show just Zach and Nicholas.)

Nicholas
We should head back to tell the others about Patricia.

Zach
Yeah, I suppose we should.

(Zach wraps his arm around Nicholas’s shoulders and they walk off stage right.  Lights go off, end of scene 3.)

Scene 4: Time to work
    (Stage is dim with yellow lighting.  Office desk is set up for Zach and Oscar.  Oscar and Zach enter from stage right and Zach sits at his desk.)

Oscar
    (Picking up different objects on the desk)
You have a stapler!  And a roll of tape!  Oh, I bet this is your fancy folder you use to keep all of your secret documents.  And this is your computer! Oh. My. God.  I’m...

Zach
Obsessed?

Oscar
Yeah, just a little.

Zach
It’s okay, I love this job.  It’s sometimes the only thing I get up in the morning for, until you all came along.

Oscar
Ya know, we’re pretty similar.

Zach
What do you mean?

Oscar
We both love business, have been working for six years, I just show up now and we are already friends.  Don’t you think that’s weird?

Zach
I mean I guess I just was thankful to have some friends, but people can’t see you.  What business have you worked at? Or have you not worked at all?

Oscar
I have never worked in business before Zach, but I’ve been around it for six years.

Zach
How have you been around business for.. six... you’re me.

Oscar
Yes Zach, I am.  I’m glad you realized, it’s been killing me to tell you haha.  I’ve been obsessing over it really.

Zach
Haha, yeah, I could tell. Wait, are you supposed to teach me something too?

Oscar
I’d love to tell you, but you know I can’t tell you Zach.

Zach
I know... I just hoped maybe this time would be different.  I’ve been obsessing over all of this, it’s become all I think about.

Oscar
Really?!

Zach
Yeah... It’s the only thing on my mind, trying to figure out why you guys are here... and I just.. I’m... Obsessed
    (Zach looks at Oscar with wide eyes)
I’m supposed to learn how obsessive I am from you!  Aren’t I?

(Oscar just nods while tearing up)

Zach
I’m gonna miss you Oscar.

Oscar
I’ll miss you too Zach, but I’ll always be with you, I’m too obsessed not to be.
    (Laughs.  Zach walks towards Oscar and brings him into an embrace.  Lights go off for Oscar to exit the stage.  Lights come back up leaving only Zach on stage. Zach looks around then put his hand to his chest and exits)

End Scene 4

Scene 5:Love?

(Enter Zack, Sarah, and Nicholas stage right.  They all walk to center stage and Nicholas lays out a blanket on the ground for their picnic to start.)

Zach
I’m glad you guys wanted to come along, I’ve never been on a picnic before but I figured I’d start with you.

Sarah
Yeah, don’t get too excited.  I’ve heard they aren’t that fun.

Nicholas
Come on Sarah, Zach’s just trying to do something nice for us.  We should enjoy it while we have time.  Either of us could be next.

Sarah
I always enjoy what’s given in life, (smirking) I don’t want to take anything for granted.

Zach
Oh, well that’s good.

Sarah
I’m kidding Zach, my life revolves around you.  I have to follow you everywhere.

Zach
Wow, you make following me seem like a chore.  Come on, I’m not that bad. (Smirking)

Sarah
Oh really. (half-laughing)

Zach
Yeah, and Sarah.

Sarah
What?

Zach
Pass the fruit.

Nicholas
    (Chuckles quietly)

Sarah
    (Looks between Zach and Nicholas speechless.)
I... Zach you’re so...

Zach
Sassy?  I figured it out Sarah.  The first time we met you were really sarcastic and you always say things that leave me at a loss for words.  I thought about it and I somehow unlocked something that made me really...

Sarah
Sassy?

Zach
Exactly.  And I figured it out thanks to you.  I just feel more alive, thank you Sarah.

Sarah
It’s what I do Zach.  I’ll miss ya bud.  Good luck with everything.  Make sure you find someone to love.
    (Sarah walks over to Zach and pulls him into an embrace.)

Sarah
So long sucka.

Zach
Goodbye Sarah.

(Lights go off and Sarah exits.  Lights come back up and Nicholas pats the blanket next to him for Zach to sit back down.)

Zach
    (Looking anywhere but at Nicholas)

Nicholas
    (Putting his hand on Zach’s shoulder)
Are you alright Zach?

Zach
    (Looking away from Nicholas)
Fine.

Nicholas
    (Turning Zach towards him looking him in the eyes)
What’s wrong Zach?

Zach
It’s just... I don’t want to lose everyone.  You’re the only one left.

Nicholas
You still have us Zach, there are all right here. (Pointing to his heart)

Zach
I know, it’s just I feel like I’ve known you my whole life, and I don’t want to lose that.

Nicholas
You’d never lose that.  You have had us with you forever, now you’re just rediscovering us.

Zach
Nicholas?

Nicholas
Yeah Zach?

Zach
I really like you...

Nicholas
I like you too Zach.

Zach
Really!

Nicholas
Yeah, I’ve become really great friends with you and I’m gonna miss you when I eventually have to go.

Zach
    (Looking away from Nicholas)
Oh, right, friends.

Nicholas
Oh my god Zach, I didn’t realize.  It’s just that I’ve never had someone like me before, I never thought it would happen.

Zach
Seriously?

Nicholas
Well I mean, no one else can see me so...

Zach
Right, I forgot about that.

Nicholas
Zach?

Zach
Yeah Nicholas?

Nicholas
I really do like you too.  You’re not like other people I’ve had to help.

Zach
Really?

Nicholas
Yeah...

Zach
    (Leans towards Nicholas to kiss him)

Nicholas
    (Leans in towards Zach)

(Zach and Nicholas kiss)

(Stage goes dark and Nicholas exits leaving Zach alone.  Lights come back up and Zach is the only one on stage.)
     Zach
    (Puts his hands up to his lips.)

(Enter a runner from stage right and trips over Zach. Zach helps the runner up after getting up himself)

Runner
Hey, sorry man.  Didn’t even see you there.

Zach
Umm, that’s okay, I’m uh Zach by the way.

Darren
    (Eyes wide. Smiling)
I’m Darren.  Nice to finally meet you.

Zach
Finally?

Darren
Yeah, I’ve heard a lot about from some of my friends.  I hoped I’d run into you sometime soon.  Want to go grab a coffee.

Zach
    (Smiling, knowing Nicholas and the others sent Darren to him.)
I’d love to Darren.
    (Takes Darren’s hand in his own and they both exit stage left.  The stage goes dark and the curtain comes down.)

End ACT ll

This piece is about a guy who doesn't know he is extremely unsatisfied with his life, that he is missing parts of himself.  Throughout the play, different characters are introduced to him who are his emotions that he didn't know he had lost.

NotGonnaSay GOLD, Richland, Oregon

"I live for glitter, not you." - Mika

I loved this! You definitely have talent, I'd love to read more of your work, keep posting. :)