Letter to Ophelia | Teen Ink

Letter to Ophelia

Oh! My dear sweet Ophelia how your virgin crants still surround you, even after death, in that shallow grave following such maimed rites. Alas, I fear the fault is mine that you did not receive a better burial. For one so lovely, so sweet and once so untainted by polluted thoughts. My lies and deceit were to much for such a kind and fickle heart as yours, for in truth, forty thousand brothers could not with all their quantity of love make up my sum. I loved you a great deal Ophelia.

The deception of saying that I did not love thee, was far too cruel and untrue. I believe that my seeming indifference to you combined with your father’s death at my hands, is what left you in such a depraved state. I feel these were the catalysts that drove you beyond the brink and to your suspicious untimely demise or as some would say suicide.

Please know Ophelia I too have experienced the loss of a father at the hands of one I trusted and loved. It is unbearable the loss of a parent and I would not wish it upon anyone.

My own fathers murder by my uncle Claudius drove me to the point of insanity, much like yourself. In this revengeful maddened state, I killed the wrong man, for it was my sword that plunged into your father’s heart when indeed it was intended for Claudius and not a man of such high council as your father Polonius was. It was an accident, a spur of the moment action, but one that is stained on my conscience for all eternity. I deeply regret my wrongdoings and pray that the heavens will forgive me.

Ophelia, I did not intend to hurt you so. Surely you must know this. But alas, I cannot speak these words to you. I wish I could. But it is to late for us to reconcile in human form. If only I had known of your madness before your mind lead you wondering down the path to the babbling brook. Perhaps I could have saved you, however I was and still am too caught up in my own selfish affairs of revenge, which now seem somewhat petty after your death.

The brook into which you fell, with such heavy weighted clothing, dragged you to the bottom of its shimmering surface and along with you my heart was dragged to the extremity of its depths. I ache for your sweet smile and warm embrace once more. I’m drowning without you in my life Ophelia.

I fear that for all the wrong I have done you, that we will never reunite in a later life. If your death was indeed a suicide as some do proclaim it to be, perhaps it was fated that our love was never to be. I pray that wherever my soul may go that it is bound to yours, no matter whether it be in Purgatory, Heaven or even Hell at its greatest fiery pit. I know my death is soon approaching, my revenge has come at great costs, but I must see it through for my father’s sake. I hope forgiveness will be granted to the both of us by the Heavens, so that I may tell you all that I have written and behold your angelic face once more.
Yours forever, Hamlet.