Confess | Teen Ink

Confess

May 30, 2016
By Diamonque BRONZE, Blossbrug, Pennsylvania
Diamonque BRONZE, Blossbrug, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

CONFESS

A play in III acts

 

 

 

 


CHARACTERS

JAKE Leader of group, acts tough, but really isn’t.
CARL Acts guilty and looks suspicious, can’t keep his mouth closed.
ELLIE


NORMAN

DEPUTY SHELBY  Know it all, stuck up, but the most careful in the group.


The person that the group kills.

Police officer that takes the case 

 

 


 

    SETTING

In a house at a random party.

 

      TIME

Late 12:00AM. Sometime in 2005.

SCENES


Scene 1  A random party Midnight
Scene 2 A shed in woods  Three hours later
Scene 3 Police station  Morning

 

 



 
    ACT I

    SCENE 1


JAKE
Hey guys, let’s check out this party!

ELLIE
I don’t think that is such a great idea Jake, we don’t know anyone.

JAKE
Okay know it all, what do you want to do?
(Jake attempts to push aside Ellie and walk in)
  
ELLIE
Wow! Seriously how can you be that rude?
CARL
Knock it off children!
(Steps between Jake and Ellie)
(A loud fight begins in the house at the party)
JAKE

What is going on!?

    NORMAN
Is it any of your business kid?

(All four finish walking through the door when they notice that the fight is intentional and Jake is the next victim)
       JAKE
Calm down man, I’m just asking. I don’t want to cause any trouble.
(Norman walks slowly to Jake and before Jake could do anything Norman pulls out a knife and swings towards Jake and misses. Jake pulls a gun out and shoots him in the chest.)
ELLIE
OMG what did you just do, Jake!
      CARL
It was only self-defense so let’s call the police.

       (Carl is shaking franticly, but manages to get his phone out while Ellie and Jake are staring at Norman’s body)

JAKE
WHAT ARE YOU DOING CARL! We can’t call the cops they won’t see it as self-defense. 


    ELLIE
What are we going to do with the body, we have to move it before someone sees it.

        (Jake and Ellie start to move       the body, while Carl is standing there watching)
                                                              JAKE
Carl don’t just stand there, help us!
                                                             CARL
I don’t want any part of this!


JAKE and ELLIE both speak up

You witnessed the shooting and didn’t call for help, you are an accomplice now, they will put you in jail too! GRAB HIS LEGS!


    ACT I
    SCENE II


   (Jake, Ellie, and Carl proceed to drag the body out of the door and to the trunk of a random car. They drive 12 miles down the road until they see a path leading into the woods. THERE, PULL OVER!  They drag is body 4 miles down the path while he is wrapped in an old blanket that they found in the car)

     JAKE
Look there is a shed hidden behind those trees!

CARL
Someone is going to find his body in there!

ELLIE
No they will not, we have to get rid of his body, NOW!

JAKE
ELLIE is right, back here is fine. If anyone finds him, they won’t suspect us.

 

ELLIE
Alright Carl, here’s what is going to happen; we were at the party all night, we have never met Norman let alone seen him around.


CARL
I still don’t feel good about this guys.


JAKE
It will all be okay in the morning, for now we are going to drop you off at home, get some sleep and we will talk about it tomorrow.

     ACT I
     SCENE III
(It’s now morning the next day and Carl is freaking out about what had happened the night before. He is so scared that he decides to go to the police before things get out of hand. Carl arrives at the police station and walks in)

CARL

I need to report a murder!

DEPUTY SHELBY

Okay, come with me to my office and we will talk there.


CARL
Last night I was a party with two of my friends and some guy tried to stab my friend Jake, so he pulled out a gun and shot the guy in his chest and instantly killed him.
DEPUTY SHELBY
I’m going to need you to write a statement with everyone involved, every little detail, and what happened to the body.

(Carl begins to write his statement when he notices Jake and Ellie walking into the police station)

CARL
That’s Jake and Ellie they are the ones that were with me last night!

DEPUTY SHELBY
I will be okay, I want to go get their side of the story, finish up your statement.

(Carl begins to wonder by Jake and Ellie are at the police station. His hands become so sweaty and he starts to shake. Carl things to himself, why is it taking so long?)

     (1 hour later)
CARL
What is going on?


DEPUTY SHELBY
Are you sure you’re telling me the truth, son?
CARL
                Yes, of course why would I lie about a murder?
DEPUTY SHELBY
                  Jake and Ellie are telling me that you shot the victim.
(The guilt and stress builds up in Carl and he can’t take it anymore. He knows that Jake and Ellie’s word will over power his so he confesses to murder and goes to prison for 10 years.)


The author's comments:

Bates Motel inspired me to write this. I hope poeple understand to becarful around the ones you think you know.