Devils Hour | Teen Ink

Devils Hour

April 25, 2016
By SmolWolf BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky
SmolWolf BRONZE, Louisville, Kentucky
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

ACT I SCENE I
Elise: a petite 13 year old girl. She has long light blonde hair and bright blue eyes. She is cheerful, friendly, optimistic, naïve, and curious. She loves to have fun and is very playful, affectionate and free with her emotions. She tends to be reckless in her curiosity and naivety, not able to sense the danger of a situation. She also trusts people too easily and is very innocent in her actions and ideals. 
Lucy: Elise’s 14 year old sister. She has bright blue eyes but darker blonde hair than her sister. She’s quieter compared to her sister, and prefers to watch the situation before engaging. As the oldest, she acts more mature, taking her role as a big sister seriously. She’s very cautious and has a keen sense of danger. However she is easily swayed by her rambunctious younger sister and always end up going along with her.
Alvah: The Ringmaster of the carnival. At first glance he appears cheerful, friendly, rambunctious and over the top in his actions. He is friendly and attentive to his young guests and appears to take a special interest in Elise. He is handsome and stands over six feet tall, with dark black hair. His eyes are however covered in shadows, unable to be seen. He is dressed in a crimson red tailcoat, black breeches, with a matching top hat.
Lilith: a little old lady, about sixty years old. She works in the costume tent, sewing. She is silent and keeps to herself. She has an aura of sadness about her. Her eyes are also covered in darkness, however when she gives the girls a look of pity, her eyes appear, dead, hollow, empty and sad, like a dolls.
Children: children of all ages serving as guests of the carnival. Children are dressed in many different periods of clothes. Their eyes are also covered in darkness.      
Set in a large family house, in a rural area adjacent to the woods, no other houses nearby. A young 13 year old girl lays asleep in her room at the back of the house on her bed next to the window looking out into the thick woods.
Loud carnival music plays from a distance, coming from the woods, Elise wakes up confused, and heeds towards her window, opening it and listening.

Elise: (speaking to herself quietly) Carnival music? (She walks out her door and goes into her sister’s room. Her sister is sleeping silently)
Elise: (whispering) Lucy! Lucy wake up! (Lucy lays fast asleep so Elise begins to shake her sister. Lucy jolts up, wide awake now)
Lucy: (rubbing her eyes, and glaring at her sister) Elise, what do you want? Its 11:40 at night.
Elise: Come to my room, I hear something coming the woods, something like a carnival
Lucy: (stares at her sister like she’s crazy) It was probably a dream, Elise, go back to bed.
Elise: (pouts and glowers at her sister) It wasn’t a dream or my imagination, I know what heard! (Elise pulls her sisters hand, dragging her from her bed and walking towards her room, they stand in front of her open window) Listen, do you hear it?!?!
Lucy: (rolls her eyes at her overactive younger sister, but sticks her head out the window to humor her, her eyes widen though as she begins to hear the caravel music and she jumps back) Whaaa?!?!
Elise: (excitedly jumping up and down) See Lucy! I told you, C’mon lets go check it out before it’s gone!!!
Lucy: (looks nervous) I don’t know Elise, it’s pretty late, besides don’t you think it’s weird for carnival to be out here?
Elise: (whines) if you don’t come with me I’ll just leave you here
Lucy: (still apprehensive) fine but only ‘cause you’ll get yourself into trouble without me.
(With that the two girls go downstairs, grabbing flashlights, slipping on their shoes, leaving through the back door, towards the woods. They continued walking deeper and deeper into the woods, the music becoming louder and louder, before laughter and voices fill their ears from the other side of a cluster of trees. They both look at each other, eyes curious before they continue forward. The girls are greeted by a large carnival. Tents are everywhere, worn but still colorful. Different attractions are scattered all throughout the clearing and tents, clowns, games, food stalls and all sorts of other fun stuff) *smoke machines are on either side of the stage, with smoke and the slightly tilted angels of the setts, giving it a surreal feel*
Lucy and Elise: (together, hands clasped and holding their flashlights) wow
(A tall man, over six feet heads to them. He’s dressed in a red tailcoat and black breeches, a matching top hat on his head. His face is handsome with sparkling teeth, and dark black hair. His eyes are covered by shadows)
Man: (arms outstretched, a wide smile and voice booming in excitement) Hello and welcome to the amazing, stupendous and terrific Ghitmaern Circus! I am Alvah Ghitmaern, this establishments humble ringmaster, here for your entertainment (bows down and tips his hat) now who might you two be? (NOTE to the actor: when moving, overstretch your movements, make it seems like he sways do to his energy and height. Make your movement bubbly and hyper- exaggerated)
Elise: (giggles and playfully curtsies) I’m Elise, and this is my sister Lucy! (Lucy stares at him but doesn’t say anything, Elise elbows her sister)
Lucy: (spoken softly) Hello
Elise: Mr. Ringmaster, sir, may we see the circus? I’ve never been to the circus before!
Alvah: (chuckles) of course, love!
Elise: (looks at her sister, her eyes downcast) I’m sorry, we didn’t bring any money, though
Alvah: nonsense, dear, don’t worry about a trifle thing like that (laughs) and please, Dove, call me Alvah (gives a friendly laugh and holds out his hand) How about I give you a special tour of the circus, free of charge.
(Elise takes his hand, and Lucy grabs her sisters, Alvah begins leading the girls into the caravel)
Elise: (giggling in excitement) Thank you so much Mr. Alvah!
Lucy: (whispers aside to her sister whilst looking at people in many costumes. Workers and clowns dressed in tattered patterned and colorful costumes, with white and red face paint entertain children, all eyes are covered in shadows. There are no adult guests) Elise, I’m not sure about this, maybe we should just go back home
Elise: (whispers harshly back) Don’t be rude Luce, besides it’ll be fun, and we’ve never been to a carnival before!
(Alvah continues walking but then stops at a tent, he ushers the girls inside a dark purple and red stripped tent. Inside are a variety of intricate costumes and dresses. An older women sits, working on a sowing machine wearing a long dress and shawl over her shoulders, her face shrouded in darkness)( the tent is to the side of stage right, and has open flats, the costume rack lead of the stage I into the back but is shrouded is darkness)  
Alvah: (voice booming in excitement) Lilith, my dear, I bring guests! This little dove here is Elise, and her sister Lucy. Now Lilith could you be a dear and find them something more suitable to enjoy the carnival in? (a playful smile on his lips)
(Lilith halts working, and walks towards the racks of costumes, silently disappearing into the seemingly endless amount of clothes)
Alvah: Don’t mind Lilith, loves. She’s just a shy old lady
(Elise smiles at Alvah, while Lucy looks around. Lilith returns carrying two dresses and accessories)
Alvah: (laughing and smiling playfully down at Elise) Speak of the Devil and she returns. Just take those dresses from Lilith, there’s a changing area towards the back of the tent, I’ll wait and as soon as your dressed in more fitting attire, the grand tour will begin!
(Elise and Lucy take the outfits and head towards the back of the tent. As they leave Lilith gives them a pitying look, in response to Lilith Alvah glowers. Lights go out. The girls exit stage right- end of Act 1 scene 1)
ACT I SCENE II 
(Elise enters first, now dressed in in a short dress. The top black, the bottom a full skirt of dark purple tulle, a dark purple satin is bow wrapped around her dress, and a matching bow in the back of her long, light blonde hair. Her sister Lucy follows close behind in a matching dress, a colorful orange instead of purple like her sisters, and a headband in her dark blonde hair, they both walk towards the front of the tent, Elise, a bounce in her step, and Lucy trailing behind her sister, uneasy)
Alvah: awe Dove, don’t the two of you look lovely. (smiles) You’ll both fit right in. (playfully bows again and holds his hand out) My lady’s if you’ll follow me please, a night of fun awaits
(Elise grabs her sister’s hand, and takes Alvah’s in the other, and he leads them out of the costumes tent, into the lively carnival. Games, attractions, clowns, and acrobats are all over the place, entertaining costumers)      
Elise: Mr. Alvah, Mr. Alvah, may we go see the trapezes artists, pretty please?!
Alvah: of course Love! Prepare to be amazed!
(The three take seats in the front row, Elise in the middle of the two. A costumed man and woman walk out, their faces painted white and gray. Red paint dripping from their eyes like bloody tears. The same red around there mouths. There costumes are colorful, spotted and slightly ripped. They stand in front of the audience. Ropes high above behind them, and high soaring platforms. There is no safety net)
Trapeze Artist #1: Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome! My partner and I would like welcome you to Ghitmaern Circus death defying trapeze act! We hope you enjoy the show! (the man and woman bow, and begin the show)
Lucy: Mr. Alvah? Isn’t there a safety? What happens if one of them falls or slips?!? (Leans backwards and stares at Mr. Alvah)
Alvah: not to worry dear, nothing will happen (leans backwards, smiles and stares at Lucy and whispers) If we’re lucky, maybe something will, that would interesting though, wouldn’t it?
(Alvah turns his face back towards the show, and lightly makes jokes towards Elise. Lucy’s eyes widen in slight fear. She quickly turns attention back towards the act, her hand slightly shaking in her sister’s hold. Elise turns her attention away from the show and whispers)
Elise: Luce are you okay?
Lucy: (smiles fakley) yea, I’m fine. I think I’m just starting to get hungry. (Laughs fakly) I didn’t really eat much at dinner earlier.
Elise: (nods her head) ohh yea. I didn’t either (smiles brightly) we’ll get some snacks after the show. I saw a lot of yummy treats! Is that alright Mr. Alvah? (Elise tilts her head to the side)
Alvah: ‘course Dove
(the show ends and the girls are lead to a food both. They pick out there snacks, each choosing a pretzel. They eat, and continue following Alvah, finishing their snack and playing carnival games, being lead deeper into the carnival, as they move deeper the fog from the machines becomes thicker. As they walk, Lucy begins to slow her steps, taking her sisters hand with her, she continues slowing down until both she and Elise are out of Alvah’s earshot. Alvah appears not to notice and exists the stage)
Lucy: (whispers aside, and looks around anxiously at the clock in the center of the carnival as the crowd of children and carnival workers seem to be getting closer. The clock reads 2:48) Elise, it’s getting late, we should probably head home before mom and dad notice where gone.
Elise: (yawns, and looks around tired, eyes droopy) you’re right, it’s late and I’m so sleepy.
(The music picks up ominously and anxiously, building up. The music crescendos and Alvah pops up, seemingly out of nowhere, directly behind the girls)
Alvah: (smiles widely) What’s this about leaving loves?
Lucy: (shifts anxiously) yeaaa… it’s getting late, and our parents will be worried, so we better head home
Elise: (smiles sleepily, not noticing the darkening mood) It’s been so much fun Mr. Alvah, but Lucy right
(Alvah squats down to Elise’s height and pouts) aww dove, you two aren’t leaving already? There’s so much more… fun (stress the deviousness of the line) to be had
(Lucy grabs Elise’s hand, and begins to walk backwards with her sister, away from Alvah)
Lucy: (stuttering) iittt’sss been soo much fuunn but we really havve to goo.
(As she says this, the smoke begins to thicken even more, and the children and workers begin circling them, their eyes being revealed to be emotionless, like Liliths. The lights flicker off, while the lights are off, Alvah quickly and silently moves in front of the girls, holding Elise harshly and tightly to his chest and harshly and tightly gripping Lucy’s wrist, starring down at the two of them)
Alvah: (chuckling darkling) I’m sorry dove you won’t be leaving me, the two will be staying here forever… (The clock strikes 3:00. Alvah’s eyes are finally revealed to be a dark red, the color of fresh blood as the lights dim out. The fog thickens covering the stage, the lights go out. The girls scream)
(END)

 

Alvah: evil, iniquity
Ghitmaern: nightmare