Warmth | Teen Ink

Warmth

By Positivity_At_Its_Finest DIAMOND, Morrow, Georgia
Positivity_At_Its_Finest DIAMOND, Morrow, Georgia

Life is a stage, get on it and perform your best act.

Characters
Marques
Toren
Dalila
Erin

Dalila is hosting a reunion for her friends at her house; they have not seen each other since they all went away to college. Unbeknownst to Toren, everyone has a surprise for her. Whether or not she will like the surprise is debatable. At this point, everyone is seated at the table, preparing to eat.

Dalila: Oh my gosh! I'm so glad to see you guys, I really missed all of you.

Toren: I missed you too girl! I'm glad to be here, I needed a break from school.

Erin: Exactly! I'm with you on that one, Toren. I never thought I'd say this, but I missed all of you.

Toren: Of course you missed us, we're the best! Duh!

Erin: (laughing) Oh please, don't flatter yourself.

Toren: Haha! You know I like to joke around.

Marques: I'm glad to see all of you! (looks at Toren, speaks in joking manner) Except you.

Toren: Oh, ok Marques! Go ahead, go on with your insults! If you truly didn't miss me, you wouldn't go out of your way to let it be known. But hey, if you say so. (she playfully sticks her tongue out at him).

Marques: (laughing)... I did miss you, that's why I'm insulting you.

Toren: (smiling) mmhmm.

The group continues to eat and joke around. Dalila, Toren, and the rest of the girls go upstairs to continue girl chatting. Marques, Erin, and the rest of the guys stay in the living room. The boys start preparing decorations for Toren's surprise.

Erin: Marques, you're a brave man! I don't think I would be able to do this.

Marques: I may be brave, but I'm definately not confident! I'm actually scared.

Erin: Oh come on, don't be! You're a great guy, Toren is a smart girl, she knows that.

Marques: Have you forgotten that I turned her down before? I sometimes feel that she still likes me, but Toren doesn't strike me as the type of person who would give someone another chance after they turn her down. To be honest, I don't think I would give myself a chance.

Erin: At least you weren't disrespectful, Marques. You said it yourself that Toren completely understood that you only saw her as a good friend. Both of you were mature about the situation, and moved on from it. Well you thought you moved on.

Marques: Yeah, I hear you, but I'm still nervous about her reaction. I realized that Toren is an amazing girl, and I would love to try something with her. I just wish I would've noticed her worth before.

The guys finish up decorating. "Will you be my girlfriend?" is spelled out on the living room floor. Roses surround the question. Marques sends Dalila a text message, asking her to come downstairs to approve the romantic gesture. Dalila eventually enters the living room.

Dalila: Awww! Marques you're very sweet! Why didn't you add chocolate?

Erin: (to Dalila) The dude is asking a girl to be his girlfriend, one who he has previously turned down. I'm pretty sure she won't be focused on chocolate.

Dalila: (laughing) Shut up! The chocolate is actually for me... so I can take it while he's giving his love speech to her.

Marques: I hope she says yes, I want her to understand that I am being genuine.

Dalila: Don't worry, she knows you're a good person; that's why she liked you in the first place silly.

Marques: Ok, I guess you're right. I'll just hope for the best.

Dalila tells all the guys to hide. She goes back upstairs and tells Toren that someone wants to ask her something. Toren comes downstairs, she soon notices the gorgeous decorations on the floor.

Toren: (confused, calling out) Who is this for?

No one answers her.

Marques: ... (stepping out of a hidden corner) It's for you.

Toren: For me?! From who?!

Marques: Me. Toren you're a very sweet girl and I really like you.

Toren: (smiling) I'm glad that you feel that way, but how do I know that you're being truthful? I refuse to be anyone's last choice. You told me that you only saw me as a good friend, and I respected that. Why are you asking me now though? Why should I say yes?

Marques: I am very sorry. I really regret it. Toren... I really am being honest with you. I love everything about you, you're smart, funny, caring, even loyal. I would understand if you didn't want to give me a chance. Just know I would never lie to you, especially about something like this.

Toren: I know that you're not that type of guy, that is why I like you, I never stopped. You have always been a really good friend to me and I appreciate it. Yes, I will be your girlfriend!

The two hug each other. They eventually kiss, the rest of the group emerge from hiding; they proudly approve the new relationship.