"Take The Shot" | Teen Ink

"Take The Shot"

May 6, 2015
By NTroutman BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
NTroutman BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Take The Shot
By: Nate

Liam: Secret Service member for 5 years, has a son, married to Rachel Waters.
Damon: Secret Service member for 12 years, single, no children.
President Richardson: Corrupt president, abusive of power, looks at poor people as scum.
Aaron: Grew up in a poor family, lives alone, gun enthusiast, 2012 sharpshooter champion.
Briefer: Senior briefer for the operations of the Secret Service.
Police Officer
Forensics Scientist
______________________________________________________________________________

(Liam and his colleagues are in the briefing room, similar to a traditional school classroom, rows and columns of chairs, Liam begins to have a flashback about his career.)

Liam: (Looking out the window, as if he was daydreaming) I have been working here for 5 years now, only been in the car with Mr. President once, about to do it again.

Damon: (Looks over to Liam with a concerned face) Do you think you’re cut out for this Liam? You have only gone with us once, and you were freaking out the whole time!

Liam: I’m fine Damon, just let me gather myself up before we go.

Briefer: The previous head of the operation, Eric Ralts, has quit today, leaving Mr. Liam Waters in charge.

(Liam walks up to the front of the room)

Liam: For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Liam Waters, I have been in the Secret Service for 5 years now, and have only been in the car with the President once, but I am ready to do it again. On this trip, I will be taking Damon with me. We will be taking Mr. President to the annual veterans day parade on Main Street.

(Damon stands up)

Damon: Lets do this.

(All rise and proceed out of the room, all except Liam and Damon, who are discussing seating in the car.)

(President Richardson enters)

Mr. President: So you two are the ones in charge of protecting me?

Liam & Damon: Yes sir.

Mr. President: (Motions hand towards door) Shall we?
(All three proceed out of the door and begin walking to the garage as the camera fades away.)

(The camera fades back into clarity and we are in an apartment in the highrise overlooking main street.)

Aaron is day-dreaming about the event going down later today.

Aaron: (Starts looking off into nowhere, then starts talking to himself) Don’t stress out over this, they won’t find me, there is no possible way they can find me, no way. I’m just gonna wait for Damon to send me the go, line up, and shoot, no need to stress about it.

(Camera zooms in on Aaron’s face, and then blurs off, image becomes clear again in the garage at the Secret Service building.)

Liam: Are you two ready for this?

Damon & Mr. President: Yes, lets do this.

(The three of them get into the car in their pre determined seating order, then head to the parade.)

Liam: Alright, we just turned on to Main Street, just a few more blocks.

(Damon reaches into his pocket and pulls out his phone.)

Mr. President: You aren’t supposed to be texting people.

(Damon looks down and sees that the text is from Aaron and it reads “I am ready Damon, make it happen.”)

Damon: It’s just a low battery notification.

Liam: Forgot to plug it in last night?

Camera fades back to Aaron’s apartment


(Aaron starts talking with his friend Jerry, who just arrived.)

Jerry: You finally getting this b------ out of office?

Aaron: Yup, we might be able to live normal lives again.
Jerry: Richardson really looks on us poor people as wastes of space.


Aaron: It’s ridiculous, that’s why me and Damon are getting rid of this sickness that is our corrupt president.

(Damon’s phone lights up again, Liam and Mr. President look at him concerned.)

Mr. President: Someone has to be messaging you, who is it?

Damon: Just a friend sir.

Liam: That is against protocol Damon.

Mr. President: Indeed it is, hand it over

(Damon reaches over to pass the phone to Mr. President, instead he jumps toward the door and opens it.)

Liam: What the h--- do you think you are doing Damon?

(Aaron lines up and shoots next to the open door, the bullet flies through the back of the President’s head.)

Liam: Sir!

Damon: It has been done, and I will not be responsible.

(Damon throws Liam out of the car and holds him on the ground until the police arrive.)

Liam: I didn’t do it! Check his phone!

Damon: It is against code to have your phone on you in these operations Liam, I saw you pull yours out and then jump to open the door.

Liam: I don’t have my phone on me!

(They find Damon’s phone on Liam.)

(They take Liam in for questioning)

Liam: Check the phone for my fingerprints, it is Damon’s phone.

Police Officer: Send this to forensics and have it run for fingerprints.

Camera blurs out and comes back into clarity in the forensics department.

Forensics Scientist: Let me apply the dust to the back of the phone first.

(She applies the fingerprinting dust liberally to the back of the phone)

Forensics Scientist: Now I will dust the leftover off and we will see the fingerprints.

(She dusts off the powder and there are 3 fingerprints clearly visible on the back.)

Forensics Scientist: I will now run this through the database to see whose fingers were laid on this phone.

(She runs the phone under the camera and instantly, there is beeping heard from the machine.)

Police Officer: We have a hit!

(Printer starts up and spits out a piece of paper.)

Forensics Scientist: The only fingerprints visible from recent use is Mr. Damon Michaels

Liam: See! That is his phone, he must have planted it on me!

(They go apprehend Damon from his office.)

The camera fades out and back into Liam sitting on his porch talking to his son.

Liam: So that is what happens when I go to work son.


The author's comments:

In an assignment, we had the choice to write a play script or a screenplay script, I chose the screenplay route.