Chances | Teen Ink

Chances

April 28, 2015
By KTG23 SILVER, Willingboro, New Jersey
KTG23 SILVER, Willingboro, New Jersey
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.”
- Dr. Seuss


INT. BEDROOM - MORNING

TEX sleeping wrapped in covers. His phone alarm begins to ring on night stand next to the bed. TEX wakes up rather lazily.  Hair a mess and only in boxers and a t-shirt. He rises slowly and sits on the end of his bed. 

INT. BEDROOM CLOSET  - MORNING

TEX chooses what he is going to wear to work.

INT. BEDROOM - MORNING

TEX straightening his tie in his body mirror. He stares at himself in the mirror.  He looks not entirely great but, has a unique like charm.

INT. KITCHEN - MORNING

TEX beginning to make himself coffee. He goes to the fridge to get milk.  When the refrigerator opens, a bottle of ketchup falls from the top hitting him on the head. TEX is standing in front of the window to the backyard, drinking coffee. Opens door to let dog in.

EXT. BACKYARD GARAGE - MORNING

Tracking shot behind left shoulder to garage door. TEX puts in the code, garage door doesn't open. Pushes code again. Nothing. Then he uses door.

INT. GARAGE - MORNING

TEX walking in through door.

INT. CAR - MORNING

TEX driving to work. 

INT. DEPARTMENT STORE - LATER THAT MORNING

Tracking shot of TEX going to the elevator. Pushes button. Bell sounds and the elevator doors open.

INT. ELEVATOR - MORNING

Pushes floor level. JESS squeezes her hand between elevator doors. Steps into elevator.

JESS (blushing) - Sorry...I have an interview...don't want to be late.

JESS pushes floor level. An awkward silence settles into the elevator. TEX admires JESS, a pretty woman totally dressed to impress. He occasionally glances over to her. Elevator doors open.  JESS walks out.  TEX makes a slight motion towards her. Nothing. He now stands in the elevator downhearted. The elevator doors close.

INT. BEDROOM - MORNING

Phone alarm rings. TEX jolts awake in bed again. He looks around the room dumbfounded. 

TEX (VO) - What the h---? 

TEX rises out of bed extremely confused.  He looks down at himself. In his boxers and a t-shirt. He makes his way over to his body mirror. Rubs his eyes.

TEX (VO) - That was..unusual...

INT. BEDROOM CLOSET  - MORNING

TEX chooses his outfit for the day.

INT. BEDROOM - MORNING

TEX fixes himself in his mirror, straightening his tie.

INT. KITCHEN - MORNING 

TEX starts to make his morning coffee. Opening refrigerator and the ketchup falls. Drinks his coffee in front of the backyard door. He lets the dog inside.

EXT. BACKYARD GARAGE - MORNING

TEX puts in the code. Doesn't work.

INT. GARAGE - MORNING 

TEX enters through the regular door.

INT. CAR - MORNING

TEX driving lifelessly to work.

INT. DEPARTMENT STORE - LATER THAT MORNING

Tracking shot of TEX behind his left shoulder, making his way to the elevator. Pushes elevator button. Bell rings and the doors open.

INT. ELEVATOR - MORNING

Pushes floor level button. JESS juts her hand between the elevators door. She steps into the elevator. TEX has a look of shock once he spots the girl.

JESS (blushing) - Sorry...I have an interview...don't want to be late.

JESS pushes floor level.

TEX (at a loss for words) - Uh...I...you...

JESS (giggling) - Is everything alright?

TEX (embarrassed) - I just...I feel like I know you. But I can't remember where.

A moment of silence passes by. A bell rings in the elevator.  The doors open.

JESS (smiling) - Well maybe we'll meet again someday. JESS steps out of the elevator. The doors close TEX inside.

INT. BEDROOM - MORNING

Phone alarm begins to ring and Tex opens his eyes, all in one shot. He sits up with quick haste breathing heavily. He picks up his phone.The phone reads 7:01 Monday April 20.

TEX(VO) - What is going on!

INT. BEDROOM CLOSET  - MORNING

Tex chooses his clothes.

TEX (VO) - I swear I'm going crazy.

INT. BEDROOM - MORNING

TEX looks at himself in the mirror, fixing his tie. He slowly begins to realize that he remembers this exact moment. What is going on?

INT. KITCHEN - MORNING

Begins to make his coffee. Opens refrigerator, but catches ketchup this time without hesitation like it guided itself to his hands on its own. Stares at the bottle and looks up. Drinking coffee in front of door. Lets dog in.

EXT. BACKYARD GARAGE - MORNING

Tracking shot to garage. Punches in code but halfway through hesitates. Stops.

INT. GARAGE - MORNING

Enters through regular door.

INT. CAR - MORNING

Driving to work.

INT. DEPARTMENT STORE - LATER THAT MORNING

Tracking shot of TEX walking to elevator. Goes to press button. Stops. Looks left for JESS. Nothing. Looks right for JESS. Nothing. Presses elevator button. Bell dings, doors open.

INT. ELEVATOR - MORNING

TEX steps onto elevator and waits. JESS sticks her hand in between the door. Steps into elevator. Presses floor level.

JESS (blushing) - Sorry...I have an interview...don't want to be late.

JESS pushes floor level. Awkward silence for a few seconds. TEX shatters the silence.

TEX (with haste) - Do you feel like you lived this day before...?

JESS - Uh...not really...

Awkward silence. Bell rings. Doors open. JESS walks out. 

TEX - D-----

Doors close.

INT. BEDROOM - MORNING

TEX sprawled out on the bed. Makes a loud groan.

INT. BEDROOM CLOSET  - MORNING

Pulling out clothes.

INT. BEDROOM - MORNING

Fixing self in mirror.

INT. KITCHEN - MORNING

Making coffee. Opens refrigerator from a distance to let ketchup hit the ground instead of him. Standing in front of back door. Goes to drink coffee. Hot hot hot hot hot. Spills coffee on himself.

TEX (angrily) - Son of a-

INT. BEDROOM - MORNING

TEX sitting up in his bed.

INT. BEDROOM CLOSET  - MORNING

TEX choosing his clothes with haste.

INT. BEDROOM - MORNING

Clothed in front of mirror. Looks more dapper this time around however.

INT. KITCHEN - MORNING

Skips making coffee.

INT. KITCHEN - MORNING

Nothing in the room. Dog waiting at door. TEX comes back to the door to open it for the dog from outside mumbling something.

EXT. BACKYARD GARAGE - MORNING

TEX going through door without even trying to use the code.

INT. GARAGE - MORNING

Running to get into car.

INT. CAR - MORNING

Driving.

INT. DEPARTMENT STORE - LATER THAT MORNING

Tracking shot to elevator. Pushes button. Bell ring. Doors open. TEX steps inside and has a look of confidence. Doors close. No JESS. Doors open again. TEX has a not pleased look on his face.

INT. BEDROOM - MORNING

TEX lying upside down off the front of the bed.

INT. BEDROOM CLOSET  - MORNING

Begins to choose one outfit (should be usual one). Changes his mind and chooses a different one.

INT. BEDROOM - MORNING

Standing in front of  body mirror. Looking extremely nice.

INT. KITCHEN - MORNING

Drinks orange juice from a glass while letting dog in.

EXT. BACKYARD GARAGE - MORNING

Tracking shot of him walking with swagger towards door.

INT. CAR - MORNING

Driving, with one hand on top..swag.

INT. DEPARTMENT STORE - LATER THAT MORNING

Tracking shot of walking towards elevator. Pushes button, bell rings, doors open. TEX steps on but hold the elevator door. JESS steps on.

JESS (blushing) - Thanks.

TEX - Don't want a pretty girl like you to be late (smiles).

JESS blushes even more. TEX pushes his floor level.

TEX - Floor?

JESS - Four please.

TEX - I'm Tex.

Sticks hand out for a hand shake.

JESS - Jess

TEX - You in for an interview?

JESS (smiles) - How'd you know?

TEX - I'm psychic.

They both laugh. Bell rings. Elevator door opens. Jess writes down something on her pad. Rips out the page hands it to TEX. Smiles.

JESS - Don't forget Mr. Psychic.

Walks out the elevator. Doors close. Shows paper which reads JESS'S number along with a heart. Doors open. TEX hesistantly walks with a smirk, out of the elevator, and out of camera's view.


The author's comments:

Should we record this?