Broken Crown | Teen Ink

Broken Crown

By Stair-Goblin SILVER, Monroe, Connecticut
Stair-Goblin SILVER, Monroe, Connecticut

"This is my story, it goes the way I want it." -Tidus, Final Fantasy X

Broken Crown

(KING DRACUL is seated at a table, patiently awaiting a guest. His son ALASTAIR enters, takes a low bow, and stands up straight again)

ALASTAIR
Good evening, father.

KING DRACUL
Good evening, my son.

ALASTAIR

May I ask the occasion for such a lavish meal?

KING DRACUL
It’s the eve of your seventeenth birthday, of course! Have you forgotten your own birthday?

ALASTAIR
No, father.

KING DRACUL
I thought it would be nice to have special meal before your coronation tomorrow, just you and I.

ALASTAIR
It does sound nice.

KING DRACUL
Well don’t just stand there! Have a seat, enjoy your last day as prince.

(ALASTAIR takes a seat on the opposite end of the table and he and father eat. ALASTAIR carefully picks at his food while KING DRACUL takes a long sip from his goblet)

KING DRACUL
I have dreamed of this since the day you were born. But as I watched you grow, I was assured you would be an excellent successor to the throne. You have a very diplomatic mind and your skills as a knight are impressive; two traits that make a great king.

ALASTAIR
(Nods his head politely)
Thank you, father.

KING DRACUL
You have a great legacy to carry on, one created by your grandfathers. I am sure they will be smiling down at you from the heavens as you hold the scepter and-

ALASTAIR
(Interrupting) No.

KING DRACUL
(Pause)
What was that?

ALASTAIR
No.

(KING DRACUL rises from his seat and stamps over to ALASTAIR)

KING DRACUL
Are you…rejecting the throne?

ALASTAIR
(Stands up)
Proudly.

KING DRACUL
(Laughs)
You clearly do not understand, you cannot just give up your birthright, your destiny, your entire future.

ALASTAIR
(Yelling) Yes I can!

KING DRACUL
No! You have a dynasty to carry on, the same dynasty you great-grandfather, your grandfather, and I carried!

ALASTAIR
A dynasty written with blood! You have razed and slaughtered entire kingdoms for your own selfish, gluttonous needs! Your father and your father’s father are not remembered as kings but as murderers! I will not carry on a dynasty-

KING DRACUL
(Interrupting) Yes you will! You have a legacy to carry, a destiny to fulfill! Do you mean to leave this kingdom at her knees, vulnerable and without a leader to defend herself?

ALASTAIR
If that’s what I must do to rid myself of this filthy name then yes!

(ALASTAIR tugs off this cape, throws it to the floor, and begins to walk offstage)

KING DRACUL
You you’re getting to let an entire kingdom fall because of your selfish needs? You’re starting to think like your old man.

(ALASTAIR stops in his tracks. KING DRACUL strides towards his son as he takes off his crown)

KING DRACUL

If you run away from the crown, then the kingdom will crumble because you were too self-absorbed to save it.
(Places crown on ALASTAIR’s head)
But keep the crown and the kingdom continues to thrive because you are willing to dedicate yourself to ensure its well-bring and prosperity. Would you rather save your name or an entire kingdom?

(A long pause)

ALASTAIR
(Grabs the crown and holds it between his hands)
I will spare myself the shame of wearing this broken crown!
(Tears off the crown and throws it to the ground)
I would rather die a poor, nameless man than to rule with your name! You can keep using blood as a method of control but I won’t! I won’t allow myself to fall in line with assassins and molesters of freedom! I’ll forge my own legacy and I will do it without your name!
(Turns to exit the stage)
Tomorrow tell the kingdom the prince is dead.

(Exits the stage. KING DRACUL stands there stunned as the lights close)

An assignment from my creative writing class. We had to write a short scene for our playwriting unit and I came up with this idea when listening to the song "Broken Crown" by Mumford and Sons. Out of the three pieces I wrote for our playwriting unit (two scenes and a one-act play) this is my favorite.