Will I Accomplish My Dreams? | Teen Ink

Will I Accomplish My Dreams?

By Timothy Stock BRONZE, South Jordan, Utah
Timothy Stock BRONZE, South Jordan, Utah

Scene 1
Characters: Shane, Des
Setting: Basement of Shane’s parents house. Lights are off. TV is on. Futon is laid flat. It is 10:30 PM
Situation: Shane and his girlfriend Des are laying on the futon cuddled up while watching their favorite movie “Almost Famous.”
Shane- We have watched this movie a million times Des and I just now realized something.
Des- What have you just realized babe?
Shane- I just realized that the kid in this movie has incredible determination. Determination that we need. If we had what he has then we would be able to get out of this basement. Away from my family. We could open our studio and help other musicians reach their dreams. Our dream would come true Des! We just need that kind of determination. We already have the equipment we just need the facility and the money. Do you agree?
Des- I want to agree but babe this is just a movie. It isn’t real. This kid is just handed these opportunities.
Shane- I know Des. It is just a movie but we do need some more determination. I feel like we are just waiting for something to jut fall in our laps instead of trying to make something of ourselves.
Des-That sounds amazing Shane but where are we going to get the money to rent or buy a place where we could set up?
Shane- Maybe we can get it from my parents.
Des- You know that they hate the idea of our entire dream right? Your mom is a journalist and your dad is a doctor. They don’t get it.
Shane- This is why we need this kids determination. I know it is only a movie but if we have enough determination we can show them and prove to them that we mean business and hopefully they will help us.
Des- Possibly Shane but it seems like a long shot.
Shane- It probably is Des. It probably is. Now let’s get some sleep and we can start working on this tomorrow. Sound good?
Des- That sounds good babe. Goodnight.
Scene 2
Characters: Mrs. White (Shane’s mom), Mr. White (Shane’s Dad), Shane, Des.
Setting: Kitchen of Shane’s parents house. The table is set for breakfast. The sun is shining through the kitchen bay window. It is 9 AM.
Situation: Shane is going to bring up his and Des’s plan to Mrs. and Mr. White. Tensions are high whenever Shane talks to his parents about music.

Mrs. White- Good morning Shane and Des. How did you sleep?
Shane- Well Des slept like a baby but I had a hard time falling asleep. *flashes a smirk towards Des*
Des- Hey! You fell asleep before I did Shane!
Shane- I know Des *laughs* I was just kidding. *smiles at Des*
Mrs. White- Oh stop it you two. Are you two hungry?
Shane- Well I was actually going to take Des to her favorite place to have breakfast. I did wan to talk to you about something though.
Mr. White- If this is about music then forget it Shane.
Mrs. White- Don’t listen to your father. But you do know how we feel about music. You both just have so much more potential than just to work with music. You could make way more money doing something else.
Shane- It isn’t about the money mom. It’s about doing something we love. Des and I want to work with music and we want to help other musicians reach their dreams. We know what we need to do in order to start our own studio. We have a couple of places that are for sale that we could live in and have a studio in. All we need is the money. With our current jobs we don’t make enough money so I wanted to see if you could help us.
Mr. White- Music is a waste of time Shane and there is no way that I will help you with it. *Mr. White exits stage in a small angry fit*
Mrs. White- I agree with your father Shane. This dream you have is a joke and you should not pursue it. Why don’t you actually apply yourself and become something great like a lawyer or a doctor like your father.
Shane- Why do you only tear me down? Aren’t parents supposed to support their children and help them reach the dreams that they have?
Des- Ma’am what if we showed you what this dream meant to us? If we could prove it to you then would you be willing to help us?
Mrs. White- Let me talk to my husband and we will get back to you two and let you know what you have to do in order to prove that we should help you.
Des- Thank you so much Mrs. White! Should we talk again tonight then?
Mrs. White- We’ll talk when we talk Des. Now I have to go to work. See you two later! *Mrs. White Exits Stage*
Shane- Should we go get that breakfast now Des?
Des- Oh of course babe! *Smiles at Shane*
*Des and Shane exit stage*
Scene 3
Characters: Shane, Des, Mrs. White
Setting: Shane’s parents basement. Shane is playing acoustic guitar and Des is laying down listening to Shane play. It is dark outside. The lights are on in the basement. The TV is at really low volume and is playing music videos.
Situation: Mrs. White walks downstairs to tell Des and Shane how to prove that Mrs. White and Mr. White should help them reach their dream.
Mrs. White- Hello you two!
Shane- Hey mom. What are you doing?
Mrs. White- Well because of Des here I am telling you how you can prove to us that we should help you.
Des- REALLY? HOW?
Mrs. White- Well neither me or my husband believe that a music career is a good idea but since you two are so stuck on it we’ve decided that if you can show the effects that you can have on another musician then we will help you. You have to show us that you can help change someone’s life for the better. Set up a studio in the front sitting room. We will observe what you two will be doing and if we can see whoever you are helping change then we will help you. Now I’ll leave you two so you can discuss what you need to discuss.
Des- Thank you so much Mrs. White!!!! We will prove that you should help us.
Mrs. White- You’re welcome Des. Oh one last thing. Shane your dad wanted me to tell you that if you don’t either prove that we should help you or if you don’t take up a new career choice then your dad is kicking you out. I tried to convince him not to but he is dead set on it.
Shane- Well when we prove dad right then he won’t have to deal with me anymore anyways.
Mrs. White- Hopefully you make the right decision Shane. *Mrs. White exits the stage*
Des- Shane are you sure we should do this? Your dad is a really hard guy to influence so I just want to make sure that we should really try.
Shane- Des I promise you that we can do this. We have the drive and the motivation to prove him wrong. We know what the power of music can do now let’s start setting up this studio shall we?
Des- Sounds awesome!
*Shane and Des leave the stage*
Scene 4
Characters: Shane, Des, Brad (musician that Des and Shane are helping), Mr. White, Mrs. White.
Setting: In the front sitting room where the studio is set up. The sun is lighting the room through all of the windows in the room. Des, Brad, and Shane are sitting behind the sound board.  Mrs. White and Mr. White are standing by the door.
Situation: It has been almost two weeks and Shane and Des are finishing up an album that they have helped Brad produce. At this time they are picking the song lineup for the album with Brad when Mr. and Mrs. White walk in. Shane and Des are hoping that they have proved themselves to Shane’s parents.
Shane- Oh hello mom and dad. What are you guys doing?
Mr. White- We are here to tell you what we have decided about helping you.
Brad- Do you guys want me to step out of the room for a little bit?
Des- No its fine Brad.
Shane- So what have you guys decided?
Mrs. White- Well you know that your father here is the final decision. I just want to say that you have proved to me the power that music has on people. Brad here has been given an opportunity that he may not have had because of you two. I think that it is a great thing what I have seen in you Brad. You have changed so much. Every day that you come in and record you get happier and happier.
Mr. White- I am sorry to interrupt you honey but I don’t think he has proved anything. Yes this guy may be happier but that doesn’t mean he has changed his life in any way.
Brad- Sir can I interject here real quick?
Mr. White: Go ahead.
Brad- Shane and Des actually have changed my life. When I was a kid my uncle bought me my first guitar and I fell in love with playing and song writing immediately. I have developed my singing and playing over the years. When I had enough songs that I was confident in then I tried to branch out and get some studio time. The problem was I didn’t have a fan base so I couldn’t get that time I needed to record but because of your son and his girlfriend I have been able to start my career. They have given me this amazing opportunity. They have been extremely supportive of my music and have been nothing but helpful. So please sir whatever this is about you should really help them and give them the opportunity that they have given me.
Mr. White- Is this really true Brad?
Brad- Yes sir it is.
Mr. White- Well maybe I haven’t been looking close enough. I didn’t know that you two could give someone this kind of opportunity. I still don’t like it but I guess I can help you. What do you two need?
Shane- We need six thousand dollars to buy a studio. It isn’t just a studio though. It is a studio on half and a living area on the other so we would be able to move into it also.
Mr. White- Okay. We’ll see what we can do son. *Mr. White starts to walk out the door but turns around in the doorway* Oh and Shane. Good job. *Then Mr. White leaves*
Mrs. White- Good job you two! *Mrs. White leaves the room*
Des- Shane. Shane we did it! OH MY GOSH SHANE WE DID IT!!!! *Des jumps up and down excited and hugs Shane*
Shane- Yes we did baby! We can achieve our dream now. But we have to thank Brad here. Brad thank you so much. You just gave us the biggest opportunity we could ever ask for. We owe you one big time!
Brad- Don’t worry about it guys! I am glad I could do something for you in return.
Shane- Hey why don’t we get this finished up then we will go celebrate!
Des and Brad- Sounds fantastic!

Lights turn off and the play ends.

This is my first submission so let me know what you think!