Noticeable Absense | Teen Ink

Noticeable Absense

January 29, 2015
By AlejandroG BRONZE, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
AlejandroG BRONZE, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

FADE IN:

EXT. BUS STOP – DAY

CHARLES, a bereaved and humbled old man, waits at the bus stop, cursing himself; when his ex-wife JOAN, a mid 50s but still attractive woman, stands next to him. She digs into her purse and smirks into a small mirror. She sees Charles and crinkles her nose in disgust.

JOAN
Charles! You’re looking like my excrement today.

CHARLES
Nice to see you too, Joan.

JOAN
(snobby)
To think about it, you never did look your best.

CHARLES
You look very nice today, Joan. Where are you headed to?

JOAN
To the salon, I’ve got a date tonight. Say, Charles, when was the last time you’ve been on a date? Don’t say it was with me -

Charles looks at her for a moment, then looks at the bus pulling up in front of them. He inches onto it without answering her question.

CUT TO:

INT. BUS – DAY

The bus is calm and quiet. Charles inches towards Joan and slumps down next to her. She fiddles with something. He notices and turns, looking out the window.

JOAN (CONT.)
- you haven’t, have you, Charles? Oh, you’re so pathetic.

CHARLES
Do you remember what today is?

JOAN
What are you babbling about now?

Charles sighs before speaking.

CHARLES
It’s our son’s birthday. I just wish I could remember what his face looks like.

Joan cuts him off. She fiddles more with the thing in her hand.

JOAN
My therapist told me not to think about it. He said it will help me get through the healing process faster.

CHARLES
Will you please have dinner with me?

JOAN
Charles, I – I just can’t.

CHARLES
Please?

JOAN
(annoyed)
Oh my Lord, okay. I’ll reschedule my date to have dinner with you.

Cut to:

INT. RESTAURANT – EVENING

CHARLES and JOAN have been seated in a diner, served their dinner and are already half-way through their food.

CHARLES
How have you been, dear?

JOAN
Please call me Joan, but great! How about you? Oh, wait, don’t tell me. You’ve been crappy?

CHARLES
You always knew how to talk to a guy.

JOAN
What’s that supposed to mean?

CHARLES
Nothing. How’s the food, Joan?

JOAN
(mockingly)
You always knew how to treat a girl.

Charles pauses, then gets up to pay the check.

CHARLES
Joan, would you like to take a walk with me?

JOAN
I haven’t finished eating.

Charles looks at the door, then back at JOAN. She reluctantly agrees.

JOAN
Where do you want to go?

Charles, in a bad attempt, tries to sound hip.

CHARLES
The spot. You remember where that is, right?

Joan blushes and laughs at the failed attempt.

JOAN
Of course.

Cut to:

EXT. MIDTOWN SCHOLAR – NIGHT

Charles and Joan stand outside of a coffee shop.

JOAN
(hesitant)
When you bring me here Charles, it can only mean one of two things; good news or bad.

CHARLES
(evasive)
I remember when Scarlet owned this place. It’s been almost 5 years since I’ve been here.

Charles holds the door open for her. Joan shuffles inside.

JOAN
Everything okay?

Charles orders a cup of tea and a coffee for Joan. After waiting a moment in silence, the waiter comes back with their drinks.

CHARLES
(in between sips)
Bad news: I have cancer. Good news: you won’t have to deal with me when it gets bad.

As Charles continues to talk, Joan is completely skeptical.

JOAN
Charles, that is not funny! You should be ashamed of yourself! You’re full of it!

Charles pulls out doctor reports and hands them to Joan. Joan takes them and starts to read them. After she’s done reading, her face softens.

JOAN
I told you to …

She drops the harpy voice in favor of a softer tone.

JOAN (CONT.)
… get a checkup sooner. Is there anything that can be done?

CHARLES
No, I have two months left.

Joan and Charles sit in silence until Joan gets up. Charles looks at her for a few seconds. She looks back at him then leaves.

CHARLES
(to himself)
See you around, Joan.

ONE MONTH LATER

INT. APARTMENT – EVENING

Charles answers the door, surprised to see JOAN, who fiddles again with something in her hand.

JOAN
(trailing off)
I wanted to see if you, you know -

CHARLES
Still here. Sorry.

JOAN
(saddened but annoyed)
Don’t say that.

Charles struggles for breath. Joan notices and goes back to her cold self before offering help.

JOAN
You just want my sympathy.

CHARLES
I need help. Pizza and Chinese everyday aren’t exactly nutritious meals.

JOAN
Don’t you have a nurse for that?

Charles shakes his head no, and turns to go sit down. Joan inches into the apartment.

CHARLES
I don’t want a nurse. It makes me feel helpless.

JOAN
You’re such an idiot! You know you can’t function by yourself. I’ll do it.

CHARLES
Don’t–you don’t have to.

JOAN
Yes, I do-

CHARLES
Why?

Joan looks towards the ground.

JOAN
(guilty)
We had a son together, which means we’re family. Family looks out for each other.

CHARLES
(joking)
Yeah, right … or is it because I’m the only one that will put up with you?

They both chuckle at the same time then fall into silence. Charles walks over towards the window and looks out.

CHARLES
I wish at least one picture of him would have survived the flames. I miss him, a lot.

JOAN
Me too, Charles, me too.

CLOSE UP: Joan tearing up.

Cut to:

INT. HOSPITAL ROOM – DAY – ONE WEEK LATER

Charles and Joan wait for news in the doctor’s office.

DOCTOR
I’m sorry, Mr. James. The only thing left to do is spend time with your lovely wife.

CHARLES
Oh, she’s -

JOAN
Is there nothing else you can do, Doctor? More treatments?

Charles looks at Joan and then at the doctor in disbelief. Charles looks at the window and zones out.

DOCTOR
He has had all the treatment his body can endure. Any more will kill him.

Joan begins to sob.

CHARLES
It’s okay doc, my … wife is trying to be caring.

Charles takes a long pause, then studies Joan’s face, looking for the old Joan to emerge.

CHARLES
(cautious)
Don’t worry, love. You’ll be fine.

JOAN
Can we go for a walk?

CHARLES
Sure! Where to?

Joan creeps out of the room sniffling. Charles comforts her on the way out.

Cut to:

EXT. MIDTOWN SCHOLAR – DAY

Joan and Charles in the shop. Wild World by Cat Stevens plays in the background. The waitress approaches.

CHARLES
(to Joan)
Still love cinnamon apple tea?

JOAN
Yes!

CHARLES
(to waitress with a slight smile)
For the lady, Cinnamon-Apple tea with an eighth cup of milk and two teaspoons of sugar -

Charles aims his head towards Joan.

CHARLES (CONT.)
Right?

JOAN
(blushing)
Yes! For him, hazelnut coffee.

Waitress reacts to both of their thoughtfulness and leaves.

JOAN
Remember this song?

CHARLES
November 11, 1973. You walked through that very door wearing that beautiful black dress. I was stunned.

Joan blushes, then looks at Charles. Her sentiment changes when she sees Charles struggling for air. Charles stands up and then falls to the floor.

JOAN
SOMEONE CALL 911!

Cut to:

INT. HOSPITAL ROOM – DAY
Charles lies in the hospital bed, attached to an air pump. Joan sleeps next to him, holding something in her hand. Charles sees it and taps Joan until she wakes up.

CHARLES
(whispering)
Joan … Joan, wake up.

JOAN
(startled)
What? What is it? What’s wrong? Do we need the doctor? I’ll go get him.

The item falls from her hand. It’s a photograph. Joan quickly picks it up and puts it out of sight.

CHARLES
What is that?

JOAN
Oh, it’s nothing. Just a sticky note with the stuff you’re allowed to do.

Charles starts to sit up, but falls right back down.

JOAN
You’re not allowed to sit up. If you want to, I can get the doctor.

Joan starts for the door.

CHARLES
Joan, no. I don’t need the doctor. I’m fine, I promise. Can I please see what’s in your hand?

Joan stops and turns to him slowly. She takes a moment, then holds her hand out, revealing the PHOTOGRAPH. Charles takes it out of her hand with hesitation. He waits a few seconds then looks at it.

CHARLES
Our baby boy.

Tears stream down his face.

CHARLES
Where did you get it?

JOAN
I’ve kept this picture a long time.

Charles smiles.

CHARLES
I can go in peace now.

JOAN
Don’t talk like that.

Charles looks out the window.

CHARLES
Why the change of heart?

JOAN
I never stopped loving you, Charles.

Charles gazes, lifts his head, and kisses her. Joan blushes and smiles.

Cut to:

INT. HOSPITAL ROOM – DAY

Charles lies motionless. The doctor breaks the bad news to Joan.

CLOSE UP: Joan sobs.

While Joan cries, Wild World by Cat Steven plays on the hospital room TV.

JOAN
(sobbing)
I’m sorry. I love you. I’m sorry I didn’t stay. When Sebastian died, I had nothing left.

Joan kisses him on the cheek, puts the photograph in his hands, and inches slowly out of the room.

FADE TO BLACK


The author's comments:

I got the idea for this ten page screen play from a man sitting alone with two meals at a reasturant.