Power Struggle | Teen Ink

Power Struggle

April 13, 2014
By R_Clark BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
R_Clark BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Power Struggle

In the words of Abraham Lincoln, “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.” Throughout time authoritative figures have been known to struggle with their fall from grace. William Shakespeare displays this in his drama Macbeth. The tragedy begins with three witches appearing to Macbeth and tells of his fate to become king. At this point his struggle for power spirals out of control and he commits the ultimate sin. William Shakespeare uses witches to represent power and why fate should remain unknown.

Prior to Macbeth’s sinful deed, the witches convince him that he will become king. In the text they say “All hail, Macbeth, thou shalt be king hereafter! […] So all hail, Macbeth…”(1.3.4-6). This shows that the witches were representing power and had an influence on Macbeth’s actions. Their proclamation to Macbeth creates his drive and determination to achieve the throne of Cawdor. Had his fate been unknown there would be no need for Macbeth to thirst for power.
Throughout the text the witches are aware of what Macbeth would eventually do. Having this knowledge prior to when it actually happened represents the power the witches had over Macbeth. In text they say I myself have all the other,And the very ports they blow,All the quarters that they know I' th' shipman’s card.I’ll drain him dry as hay.Sleep shall neither night nor day Hang upon his penthouse lid. He shall live a man forbid. Weary sev'nnights nine times nine. Shall he dwindle, peak and pine. This shows the level of control the witches had over Macbeth. Had the Macbeth not have been so persuasive the power the witches had over would be less.
When Macbeth first encounters the witches he is unaware of what they are aware of. In the text, when they say “fair is foul and foul is fair” they are saying, in regards to the murders, it is foul but fair because Macbeth was destined to become king and because he had to kill to become king what is fair is foul. Had Macbeth’s prophecy remained unknown the events in the text would be different.
Overall the witches’ telling of Macbeth’s fate brings him anxiety and unrest. If his fate remained untold the sinful actions he committed would have been prevented. From the text, having fate been foretold brings out a side of Macbeth no one had seen. With the power the witch’s had over Macbeth he was unaware of their real intentions.