Esther Finkle | Teen Ink

Esther Finkle

Ester Finkle is a 19 year old female that lives in Cleveland, Ohio. She has lived with her mother throughout her entire life. Even though she has grown into an adult, she still has an attitude that resembles one of a 14 year old girl. She spends her free time singing, its a hobby of hers. She is convinced that she is famous, and everyone knows who she is. The only problem is that not a single person knows of her because she isn't really famous. She is convinced that she is the center of attention. She looks at herself as a sole source of talent, wisdom, and beauty. She is known for her cocky personality, fibs and lies, exaggerations of the truth, outrageous habits, and symbolic facial expressions. Esther will go to any extent to get what she wants in any given situation, and won't back down when it comes to reaching her “stardom”. She really has quite the odd personality. Some of her habits include a fascination with spaghettios, her weekly bath, her extreme obsession with religion, her common mispronunciation of words, and the tone of her voice. She tends to always one-up any person in sight, so watch what you say. Just remember, Esther Finkle is ALWAYS right.

In this scene, Esther is on a mission to set up a gig. She tries to call many large corporations to see if they will hire her. This process becomes tedious and she doesn't realize how far-fetched her requests really are. With each absurd phone call she becomes more angry, but casually keeps talking about herself to maintain her confidence and to keep her cool.

Esther Picks up phone and waits for an answer. Eventually, there is an answer and proceeds hopefully. Hi, is this 104.2 radio station?...Now that she is certain, she proceeds with much more confident yet cocky attitude. Hi this is Esther, Esther Finkle. I wanted to know if you were going to play me on the radio today. Pauses, is ticked off and confused. What do you mean who am I? Esther. I’m Esther. I'm famous for singing, obviously how could you not know that. She now starts to get mad. You dont know who I am? Flips hair. Well I know who I am, so gotcha. Makes smug face and twitches eyebrows. Phone call hangs up on her, she stares with a confused yet blank expression on her face. Hello?...Well I’m better than you anyways, so. Proceeds to dial a new number.

Hi is this NBC studios?... Yes my name is Esther Finkle. I’m going to be- I mean...i am a super famous singer, really popular, and I need a TV show. Can you do that for me? Change in facial expression, moves eyebrows. Well actually I can act too. Im a five threat: (counts with fingers) Singing, Acting, Modeling, Brains, Gorgeous. When i was just a baby my mom and I found out that i was just born naturally gifted, so. Im really good, just saying. And in dressing room i'm gonna need lots of spaghettios and an assisant (assitant) to help give me a sponge bath. And also- Call hangs up. Hello?...Well, NBC isn't good enough for me anyway, so.

Dials new number, once again. Getting more irritated with each call. Hey i need you to tell me how to call the prestident (president)...Yes, the prestident of the United States of these Americas. I want to sing for him, i figured it'd be real good for my apple-cations (applications).And I can't sing anything inappropriate, no potty words, I am not a sinner. Hangs up once more, pauses, stands up in anger. Whining.Hello?! Are you kidding me? Is his a joke? Youre my uncle, youre supposed to help me. Is NOT funny. So rude.

Picks up pen and paper and crosses out list. Okay so 104.2, rude (crosses). NBC Studios, really bad (crosses). And my uncle, really igornat (ignorant) (crosses). Throws pen, stands up, and walks to the door. Tomorrows list: Americas got talent, Grandma, and Zac Efron.

I wrote this monologue for my creative writing class.