The Continued Chronicles Of Raisin In The Sun

Scene 1
The crescent shaped, silvery moon dipped down into its dusky domain as the sun's beams finally peaked out from the folds of the sky. It was early dawn, people were deep in slumber dreaming of distant lands and mystifying fantasies. A light breeze ruffled the tall, pine trees and sent faint ripples across the blue lake. The roads were barren except for one car. It slowly made its way around the block, halting every five minutes to take in the town of Clybourne Park. The houses were quaint and simple but emulated the atypical american dream home, picket white fence, little patch of green and front porch. The country’s flag, a patriotic band of red, white and blue billowed high in the sky. The residents were pleasant both in demeanor and disposition. They waved good morning to each other, sent flowers when someone was feeling down and brought over freshly baked bundt cakes. The lonesome car pulled into a twisted driveway. The mailbox was slightly slanted, the numbers a tad faded but still readable, “406, Clybourne Park.” The doors opened and a family of five piled out.

Ruth: Look! look at tha yard, perfect for ma Travis! Oh Mama look there, a spot fo yo gardening. It’ all so amazin, so perfect for us,” she glanced at the house with a look of joy and then helped Beneatha and Walter retrieve their belongings and luggage.

Mama: Now Ruth, honey, I know you all excited bout us moving but you be careful now. Don't wanna stress that baby! Walter strong, let em carry the load, you be fragile. Mama lovingly gave Ruth’s bulging stomach a pat, “Yes, won't be long now fore we have ourselves a new addition.

Walter crossed over to his wife and gave her a sloppy kiss on the cheek. His frame had become sunken but his eyes shown with a newfound happiness. Ever since the money fiasco, he had been slowly but steadily recovering.

Walter: Baby, you gotta rest, go upstairs and sleep fo a bit.

Ruth: Well alright, Imma just close my eyes fo a little but you be sure to wake me fo dinner, Walter! You be sneaky and all but you be sure to wake me! I want to have dinner as a family tonight. Ruth smiled and then disappeared into the house

Travis unloaded his stuff and pulled out a soccer ball, then he approached his father.

Travis: Pa, can we go try out that new, soccer ball?

Walter: Sure son! Meet me in the yard!

Walter and Travis ran off together in the direction of the backyard. Mama and Beneatha were left standing. Beneatha had a forlorn expression, she played with a colorful piece of fabric in her hands depicting the indigenous tribes of Africa. Noticing her daughters despair, Mama crossed over to Beneatha and gave her a tight squeeze.

Mama: Child, what be with you today? Now I know that Asagai was important but lighten your spirit! Those men, they come and go… we your family. Now look, everything starting to be right, we got a home! Walter and Ruth be happy and Travis, oh that little mischief maker, he finally be able to have a childhood… Oh Bennie, baby, don't grieve, its a burden on the soul.

Beneatha pouted her lips and turned away from Mama. Tears welled up in their eyes, a few droplets escaped and ran down her face. They hit the asphalt with quiet thuds.

Beneatha: Mama, you don’t understand! I let Asagai go, I let him leave without me! I was destined! Destined I tell you, to do great things, to meet great people! My fate did not entail this, this neighborhood, they don’t even want us here, I mean do you honestly think were welcomed?

Before Beneatha continued, Mama interrupted her…

Mama: Beneatha! now don’t you dare going around messing everything up, we are here and nobody can change that! Dont matter if were welcomed o not, we here to stay and you better slap a grin on that little face of yours.

Beneatha: Slap a grin? Did you tell me to slap a grin on my face? So I can live my life trying to convince myself that I can be happy, so I can suffocate and restrict myself? You think everything is dandy now, you think that all of this (she points to the house in a grand gesture) will keep you content forever? What you don’t know is that this mirage will pass, this whole dream of yours! Mama, face the facts, this is an all white neighborhood and our chocolate skin sticks out like a sore thumb. Its only a matter of time! So you better start praying to your supposed God and start asking him for a miracle because we are certainly going to be needing one.

Beneatha stormed off into the house leaving a trail of dust. Mama stood there shocked, mouth agape, eyes stricken. She looked up to the sky, hands clasped in front of her face and started praying.

Mama: Oh dear lord almighty, grace ma family with your presence in our time o troubles, give strength and peace. Help ma child, ma Beneatha see, help her understand! Dear Lord, I put faith, I pour ma soul to honor your goodness, please save ma family, please give protection, Amen.

Mama finished her prayer and glanced at the American flag rippling amongst the fluffy clouds, those 50 white stars epitomizing freedom and independence. She slowly exhaled then muttered something under her breath

Mama: Well Bennie wa right on one thing, we gonna need a miracle fo sure.

Then she turned off the porch light and slipped into the house.

Scene 2

Ruth and Walter are outside walking Travis to his first day of school. The entire family saved up to outfit him in a new wool sweater, formal slacks and a sleek backpack. A car barreled down the road, it lessened it’s pace when it laid eyes on the youngers. The window reeled open and a familiar face peeked out. Mr. Linder smiled a toothy grin but the hint of a frown was present. Garbed in a felt hat that drooped over his eyes and a slightly disgruntled suit, it seemed as though he was not particularly feeling well. Travis remained indifferent but Ruth and Walter suddenly became rigid.

Mr. Linder: Good afternoon youngers, I would be lying if I said that I am glad to see you but I do hope that Clybourne Park is treating you well so far. I would advise that you try not to get on anyones bad side. If you get into any kind of trouble, you can give me a call at this number. (He retrieved a starchy white card from his pocket and handed it to Walter)

Walter scowled but took the card nonetheless.

Walter: Mr. Linder, I am not so why our family is so concernin to you but we manage jus fine. Clybourne Park ha been treatin us fine, thank you very much! We not planning any trouble so I would appreciate if you don't come up to us wit your superiority and all! Good day to you sir!

Mr. Linder: Mr. Younger, I mean no disrespect! I have offered you my help if a situation arises. If anything, I am probably the most open minded compared to the other folks of this town. Please do give me a call anytime, Oh and good luck to young Travis on his first day of school.

Mr. Linder shut the window and drove off! Walter and Ruth stood on the sidewalk fiddling with the white card, they stared at it with a bewildered glance then proceeded to start walking again.

Travis: Ma, Pa, who was that man?

Ruth: Oh no one you needa worry yo little, pretty head about, honey.

Walter: Baby, can you believe the nerve on that man, as a matter a fact, he not even a man, he a, he a piece a scum. Offerin us help? what we needy now? You don’t see em offerin help to no white folk huh? You know I don't need tha card, those jumbles a numbas, No, I refuse!

Ruth: Honey, I agree but don't get so riled up! You in front a Travis!

Walter and Ruth exchanged looks, Ruth inconspicuously pointed to Travis and Walter quieted down. He pulled out the card and dropped it on the pavement. They gave each other a quick kiss and joined hands. Travis trailed behind them, eyeing them suspiciously. He ran up the spot where his father had dropped the card. He picked it up and thrust it into his backpack making sure his actions went unnoticed. Then he caught up to his parents.

Scene 3

The youngers are sitting at the dinner table helping themselves to a lavish, home cooked meal thanks to Mama’s efforts. Beneatha is sitting next to Ruth and is maliciously stabbing at her garlic mashed potatoes. Ruth is stuffing her face with sour dill pickles, moist pumpkin pie and buttered string beans. Walter is pouring himself a glass of rum and Travis is fervently doing his homework in the living room. Mama is at the head of the table spooning heaps of food into everyones plates.

Mama: I slaved ova all this food but it brings joy to ma face when all my children togetha! When we all enjoyin each others company. Now lets say grace!

Mama: Thank you dear Lord fo the food on this table, fo blessing us, fo keeping us together as a Family! Amen.

Beneatha rolled her eyes and focused on the ice swirling around in her fruit punch. Mama, Walter and Ruth finished their prayer and continued eating.

Beneatha: I have an announcement!

All heads turned toward her direction, Especially Mama who zeroed in on her with her soulful brown eyes.

Mama: What is it child? Speak up!

Beneatha: I am leaving, departing! Going on to greener pastures, I have an opportunity to finish my education in England and I plan on taking it! I have reconciled with George Murchison. He has agreed to finance my trip, she said solemnly.

There was complete silence in the room. No one looked at Beneatha beside Mama. She was seething, her lips were pinched together and her eyes narrowed. She pounded her fist against the table and everyone jumped.

Mama: What did you say Girl? You leavin us for some Brits! This haunch you got all a sudden, naw, you staying rite here, we need get those silly ideas atta your head, And what this all about George Murchison, he dont care bout you! Whats gonna happen when you out on the street, beggin fo food cause he dropped ya like a dog who doesn't want his old bone no more.

Beneatha: Mama! They are not silly ideas, its my future, my hopes and aspirations! I am sorry if you can’t come to par with my life but I am going and thats final. As for George, he has agreed to my terms and I to his. I am in no danger besides I already have packed my stuff. I have to leave now, my flights at six.

Beneatha stood and smoothed her wrinkled skirt. She blew Ruth and Walter a kiss and then gave Travis a bear hug. Then she turned and faced Mama.

Beneatha: Bye Mama, I love you and always will but I have to go, I just have to…

Ruth: We understand, she tried to say compassionately. Be safe Bennie.

Walter: Beneatha, you my sista and I am your brotha and even tho I don't agree wit you leaving us, I want you to be happy! he said grimly.

Beneatha nodded for she appreciated everyone understanding. Mama, the only who had not uttered her goodbyes was staring at her intently.

Mama: Baby, you go on ahead, she said weakly. Those were her last words to her beloved daughter. Beneatha put on her coat, picked up her suitcase and left.

Scene 4
After Beneatha's departure, the younger family was in a state of confusion. The entire matter was puzzling and they still couldn't quite wrap their minds around it. Beneatha’s absence was like a black hole, a persisting problem that wouldn't go away. Mama took it the hardest, she walked around the house stroking that old, withered plant of hers. Travis tried to console her but her depression just kept on deepening.

Mama: My baby, oh where you gone baby girl? Where you at child? Why you have to leave your poor Mama behind?

Travis: Grandma, dont be sad! Bennie’s fine, she’ll visit and write letters to us, don't be worried grandma!

Mama: Oh Travis, I am old now, Beneatha probably gonna go off wit all her new fancy friends and forget about her dear, frail, mama. Oh child, the world is an intoxicatin thing, pull you into its clutches at any time. Promise me ya wont ever leave me Travis! Promise your grandmama!

Travis: Grandma, I promise!

The twinkling stars came out and the howls of the coyotes echoed throughout the air. Tired from overbearing themselves, the youngers bid each other sweet dreams and went to sleep. The crickets chirped in unison and lovely songbirds sang melodies and sweet lullabies. It was a particularly hot night, the grass cracked and parched, the air thick and blistered. A faint silhouette illuminated only by the faint street light appeared at the end of the block. Following it was another barley acknowledgeable figure and another. Soon the entire street was filled with people, silvery, iridescent forms, as though the town was overrun by ghosts. They carried burning candles, shovels and other common objects. They reached the end of the block and turned into 406 Clybourne Park.

Person 1: Youngers! we warned you, this town is not your place, not your home! Go back to where you came from!

Person 2: We don’t want you dirtying up our neighborhood!

Person 3: Go home!

The townsfolk started to cause a riot, they banged on doors, stomped on Mamas new garden, knocked over jars and pots. The mailbox was further dented and the screen door was shredded. Inside the house, the youngers were starting to stir! Ruth woke up in a panic and then proceeded to wake Walter.

Ruth: Honey! wake up! somethin’s happenin!

Walter: Baby, wat you talkin about? I want to rest my head.

Ruth: Walter! she practically screamed. They ransackin our house! she said as she looked out the window

By this time, Walter was fully awake. He jumped out of bed and helped Ruth get to her feet. Then they ran down the hall to wake Mama and Travis. Frightened, they all huddled in the living room together trying to go unseen. Travis clutched his mother’s arm while Mama sat in her rocking chair, stroking her dying plant while ardently reading the bible. The people outside hollering started to get more fanatic. They surrounded the house screaming obscene profanity. One person, a middle aged man with bushy brows and lazy eyes alighted the grass with his candle. Suddenly, a fiery inferno encircled the house, the flames rose and grew. Contact with the sweltering heat left patches of barren, nonexistent land. The youngers watched with horror as their home started to crumble.

Walter: What we gonna do? he asked frightened. His eyes suddenly brightened then darkened. Mr. Linder, we’ll call Mr. Linder! God dammit! I left the card on tha street, whatta fool I am! That damn card! Now, we might as well be all damned!

Travis poked his head around his mother’s skirt anxiously. He went over to his backpack and pulled out a white card. Then he walked over to his father and held out his hand to show him.

Travis: Here pa, I picked it up, I thought we might need it in case somethin happened.

Walters eyes widened and he swept up Travis in a deep, loving hug.

Walter: Son, you the man a this family now! You gotta good head on yo shoulders, bit brighter than yo old pa huh?

Travis: Yes sir! he exclaimed

With a sense of newfound hope, Walter brazenly picked up the phone and dialed the black numbers scrawled on the card. Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring! Finally, a weary voice answered.

Mr. Linder: Hello?

Walter: Yes, umm hi Mr. Linder! Its Mr. Younger here, Walter younger. So sorry to be a bothering you at this hour but you said to call if somethin…

Mr. Linder: What’s the matter Mr. Younger? It seems as though you are rather flustered! Is there a situation at hand?

Walter: Well yes, the townsfolk, they here, at our house, they causing a big scene, yellin and fire, there’s flames lickin at our backyard! Please help us!

Mr. Linder: Oh my! I’ll be right over with backup to stop this mess! Just sit tight! he said worriedly.

Mr. Linder hung up the phone, Walter looked at his family and then at the window, the people were more riled, their little plot of land that they called home was beginning to look more and more like a junkyard. The crimson blaze spreading quicker and quicker, closer and closer. He leaned in to comfort Ruth but there was a pang of anguish on her face. Her mouth contorted into a deep frown and she clutched her stomach while breathing erratically. Mama helped her to a comfortable position on the floor. She lay there panting and fighting the urge to scream!

Ruth: Ahhhhhh! I feel as though someone's twistin my insides! she said working up a sweat.

Mama: Oh my! Ruth’s goin into Labour. She bout ready to pop tha baby out and believe me tha baby ready to come on out!

Walter: This is the worst possible time! Oh my, I jus hope that Mr. Linder can make it. Ruth, baby, breathe! You gonna make it through, he said coaxing her.

Walter, Mama and Travis huddled around Ruth in a protective circle. They tried to pay no attention to the commotion outside. Instead they massaged Ruth’ shoulders, brought a moist towel to drape over her forehead and soothed her with calming words. The shouts grew louder, the air filled with smoke and the smell of singed clothing and ash clogged drainpipes and chimney tops. The birds that sang blissful songs flitted away and the chirping of the crickets could no longer be heard. A thundering smacking noise added to the chaos, a stream of blue, white and red flashed by as the American flag, once proudly standing tall fell to its doom. It lay there like a sickly tree, bleeding sticky sap, struggling for its last breath. It limply fluttered to the ground, edges frayed and charred. The last white star dissipated as the blaring sirens of the police echoed down the street. Just a few measly scraps of tattered blue cloth were left. They lay there flaccidly, a reminder of the United States Of America that people once flocked to for shelter against violence and brutality.