Backseat | Teen Ink

Backseat

By stadz95 BRONZE, Palatine, Illinois
stadz95 BRONZE, Palatine, Illinois

Backseat

FADE IN:

EMPTY PARKING LOT – NIGHT

A group of sketchy-looking high school-aged teens are circled up close to a parked car joking and ribbing each other. The topic of conversation is soon shown to be ANDREW MORRIS (18), a geekier member of the group.

ANDREW
C’mon guys, seriously? That’s messed up.

Andrew acts frustrated as his friends boo and laugh somewhat good-naturedly

Mike, a senior member of the group moves into view

MIKE
(smiling convincingly)
Alright alright, no pressure dude. It’s not like we’re gonna force you to do it or anything. (laughs) It was just something to do, no need to flip out. Catch ya later.

Mike rolls his eyes and returns to his friends

Group starts to leave, laughing among themselves and pointedly ignoring Andrew.

ANDREW
Wait—

Mike turns around and Andrew looks as if he instantly regrets speaking up

ANDREW
(awkwardly)
I… um… I’ll do it—

A broad grin comes across Mike’s face as he turns around

MIKE
(excited)
Alright! Andrew Morris is ready to play with the big boys

Andrew doesn’t say anything

MIKE
(CONT’D)
Seriously, it’s no big deal, just get in the car and grab something that has the owner’s name on it and bring it back. That’s it.

Cut to the exterior of the car, Andrew is mumbling to himself as he walks to the passenger door and to his dismay finds it unlocked.

ANDREW
Who doesn’t lock their door?!

Andrew shakes his head as he realizes there is no longer a way out.

ANDREW
(to himself)
Let’s see… things with names…

Andrew opens the glove box and searches to no avail

ANDREW
You’re kidding me—

Andrew turns around to find the backseat of the car is filled with notebooks, paper, plastic cups and other clutter. He sighs, climbs into the center of the pile and begins his search again.

Shot of SARAH DENTON leaving the store and walking to the parking lot.

Andrew looks up and notices Sarah on her way

ANDREW
S***!

Andrew looks around desperately to find an escape and quickly realizes there are none.

ANDREW
S***!

As a last resort, Andrew flattens himself out on the floor behind the driver’s seat and keeps completely still just as the door opens.

Sarah collapses on the seat and throws her purse into the back seat, clearly exhausted from a long day, exhales deeply and starts the car.

ANDREW
(mouthing silently)
oh… my… god…

The car pulls out of the lot as Mike and the rest of the group follow it with their heads, mouths open.

INT. SARAH’S CAR – DUSK

Andrew is hidden in the space between the driver’s seat and the backseat of the car, still in shock. Sarah is driving unknowingly.

Sarah pulls into a fast food establishment and parks.

Andrew’s eyes widen as he looks from the driver’s seat to the purse in the back seat.

Sarah stretches into the backseat and grabs her purse, apparently without seeing Andrew. Then returns to the driver’s seat shaking her head and looks through her purse which is full of self-defense items.

Sarah gets out of the car and closes the door

Andrew opens his mouth in complete disbelief, and eventually eases against the front seat with a sigh of relief.

Andrew realizes that he finally can get out of the car and clambers clumsily to the passenger side back door, opens it and walks out.

SARAH
(off-screen)
Start talking

Sarah is standing by the passenger-side door with a can of pepper spray pointed at Andrew.

ANDREW
Um… hey-

SARAH
(a little too loud)
You have ten seconds to explain yourself. Go.

Sarah begins to count down as Andrew fumbles for words

ANDREW
You know what? I don’t even care anymore, spray me and get it over with. I didn’t even want to do this; I got stuck here because my friends are dicks. I mean I guess it was kinda my fault too… but whatever, this night has sucked, I didn’t take anything and I didn’t vandalize your car. I just want to go home so you might as well just blind me with that stuff and send me on my way.

Sarah doesn’t lower her pepper spray but looks puzzled

ANDREW
Seriously, just do it

SARAH
I want to know why you were in my car

ANDREW
It was a dare okay? I was supposed to grab something with your name on it and bring it back. I don’t know, it was stupid but I did it and I got caught, and now I’m here. (beat) I have no idea how I’m gonna explain this.

SARAH
(lowering pepper spray)
Yeah… Your story needs some work for sure

ANDREW
Thanks… I mean it IS true though.

Andrew gestures at the lowered pepper spray

ANDREW
(continued)
Well, if you’re not gonna use that I’m gonna call a cab and get out of here. Sorry about this whole… thing…

Andrew begins to walk away

SARAH
Wait-

Andrew turns around

SARAH
Maybe I can help you out with that.

Andrew looks puzzled

SARAH
You know, get home.

ANDREW
Why would you do that?

SARAH
Because I get the feeling that you’re not actually the kind of person who would break into a car and I think you deserve a second chance. Also I might be slightly crazy, so hey, why not.

Andrew stares at Sarah disbelievingly

SARAH
well?… Do you want a ride or not?

Andrew smiles and walks to the car

ANDREW
You know, they always say not to get into a car with someone you don’t know

SARAH
Sounds like you’re pretty hardcore then. Doing it twice tonight and all.

Andrew cracks a grin

FADE TO BLACK

FADE IN:

EXT. PARKING LOT – DAY

Mike and his friends are lounging against Mike’s car talking and hanging out.

Andrew walks up and everybody goes silent.

MIKE
Dude… What happened last night?

ANDREW
Sarah Denton

MIKE
What?

Andrew pulls out a slip of paper with Sarah’s name and phone number printed on it

ANDREW
Her name is Sarah Denton.

MIKE
How did you-

ANDREW
I’ll see you around man. Have fun… with whatever you’re doing.

Andrew turns around and walks away.

ROLL CREDITS

Backseat is a short script that I wrote for fun one weekend and hope to be able to turn into a shortfilm in the near future.