Sadness Solution | Teen Ink

Sadness Solution

March 1, 2013
By Alex_Writer GOLD, West Palm Beach, Florida
Alex_Writer GOLD, West Palm Beach, Florida
18 articles 0 photos 22 comments

Favorite Quote:
"In the long run, we shape our lives, and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And the choices we make are ultimately our own responsibility." ~Eleanor Roosevelt


Setting:
A forest surrounds a girl, early morning sounds ringing, becoming engulfed by hanging tree branches. The air is foggy and moist to her skin. She bends down to a small stream as another older looking girl walks over to her. The younger girl stirs her fingers against the stream, tears being pushed out of her eyes, not noticing the other girl behind her.



Lisa:

(cautiously tapping the younger girl’s, Amber, shoulder) Are you okay? I



noticed that you were crying when you passed my house. It’s definitely not my


business, but I wanted to know if there was something wrong. You look a little


shaken up, anything I can do? I’m Lisa. What’s your name?

Amber:
(sniffling and peering up from the stream at Lisa) Amber. There is nothing


you can do for me, you won’t get it. Just leave. You’re probably just gonna


laugh and make fun of me. Isn’t that what everyone does, huh?

Lisa:
(slowly sitting down and saying comforting) One thing is for sure, I’m not going anywhere. If you chose not to tell me what’s wrong, that is perfectly okay. With that I’ll wait here all day and night until you give me the slightest information.

Amber:
(getting up and storming off a couple yards away) I’m not telling you anything, why do you even care? I’m not that im-important. Sometimes I wish there weren’t people like you. Your one of the stupid people who care too much. You can wait all night and day for nothing.

Lisa:

(putting her head in her hands but then sighing and looking up) Do as you


wish, I can’t control you to stop pouting. Where are your parents anyway?


A little girl, like you, doesn’t just travel into the woods whenever they want.



A boy swaggers up from the forest and eyeballs Amber questioningly.

Seth:

(snapping his gum and saying in a New York accent) Yo, Lisa. Who’s the



shortstop? What a girl like you, hangin with little kids like dat? She is a... child.


Probably a pouty one from the looks of how she standin.

Lisa:

(standing up defensively) Seth, why don’t you leave? I can do whatever I



want and that is including being nice. Nice and caring might not be in your


dictionary, but it’s in mine. Why don’t you go annoy someone else?

Seth:
(rolling his eyes as he is walking away) God, I’m sorry your highness. Really didn’t mean to interrupt your so great conversation. Bye, lil shortstop.

When Seth is completely out of sight, Amber slowly turns toward Lisa and looks up.

Amber:
(muttering silently) Who was that kid?

Lisa:
He is actually my horrible brother. Yea we look nothing alike and act nothing alike. He’s really annoying to everyone so don’t think he was targeting us or anything. That accent of his, is a total fake. We never even lived in New York.

Amber:
(sitting down by the stream and turning away while pouting) I don’t have



any siblings. Siblings seem nice, you have someone to play with and



explore with. I’m just a rotten lonely little girl. All my other friends have



play dates and all. Everyone does except me.

Lisa:
(walking over and sitting by Amber) I don’t have many friends either. How about we both hang out together every Saturday during this time? Almost every Saturday I am completely free. After that we can hangout more and more often.


Amber:
(smiling and saying joyfully) Yes! Yes! I can do anything any day of the week. We can be best friends and go on so many adventures out here. I can’t wait for next Saturday. It will be so much fun! Thank you, thank you, and thank you. I have this favorite game that we must play also.

Lisa:

(smiling back and asking curiously) Finally, you’re smiling. I’m so glad you’re
happy now. It will be a lot of fun, just like you said. Although, we’re are your parents? Are they looking for you at all?

Amber:
(worriedly) Oh no! I totally forgot, I have to go back now. Bye Lisa! Remember next Saturday, right here, this time.

Amber scurries off toward her house and Lisa watches until she is out of sight. She then collects her things and sets off toward her own house. A smile curls up on her face as she started her small journey home.


The author's comments:
I wrote this because I have a friend who is younger. She is just like the younger girl in this play.