Hearts in Carolina | Teen Ink

Hearts in Carolina

December 20, 2012
By BackseatConfessions BRONZE, Darlington, South Carolina
BackseatConfessions BRONZE, Darlington, South Carolina
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The opening scene starts with Derrick walking into his apartment. He is a mess. His eyes are bloodshot and his heart is heavy. His shirt is unbuttoned and his sleeves are rolled up. Derrick is tired. He sits in a chair and puts his head in his face in his hands.

Derrick (narrator): See that guy. Pretty pathetic right? Well that is me. The great Derrick Haymond. Well I use to be great. I had it all. Money, a beautiful house, and a beautiful wife. That all ended on one day. I can still remember it.

Flashback 1

The scene opens up with Derrick sitting at the kitchen table with his drinking coffee. He is exhausted. The stock market is crashing witch is destroying his business. He has to stay on top of things and he knows this. The sun is just starting to rise when a young and beautiful woman walks in. It is his wife Alice.

Alice: You look horrible Derrick.

Derrick: Yea good morning to you to.

Alice: You've been drinking again haven't you?

Derrick: Yea but not much.

Alice: Why Derrick? You just quit all of that.

Derrick: C'mon Alice cut me some slack. It was just enough to calm my nerves.

Alice: I don't care Derrick! I almost lost you once due to alcohol and I won't let that happen again!

Derrick: I can handle it!

Alice: No you can't Derrick! I miss you!

Derrick: What do you mean…

Alice: This isn't the man I fell in love with. You haven't been to bed in 2 nights Derrick.

Derrick: [slamming his fist on the table] You think I like this? Someone has to pay the bills and I don't see you working!

Alice: [starting to sob] I will get a job if it will bring you back. I love you so much and I just want you to be happy again.

Derrick: I can't deal with this right now

[Derrick gets up and leaves. Alice sits down in his chair and cries]

Flashback 2
It is later that day. Derrick is working but his mind is not on the work. He is ready to get home to see Alice. He feels bad about the argument. He gets a knock on the door that disturbs him from work.

Derrick: Come in.

[An officer steps in.]

Derrick: [looking up then back at his work] Good evening sir. How may I help you?

Officer: Are you Mr. Derrick Haymond?

Derrick: yes sir that is me.

Officer: I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your house burned down today.

Derrick: [looking up from his work] What? Is anybody hurt?

Officer: Mr. Haymond… your wife didn't make it out the fire.

Derrick: What? No, no that's not possible. This is a joke right?

Officer: I am sorry for your loss sir. We saved some of the items from your house.

Derrick:[slamming fist on his desk] So you can save some pointless items but you can't save the only thing I really cared about!

Officer: Calm down sir. We need you to keep a steady head.

Derrick: How can I… I' I've gotta get out of here

[Derrick storms out pushing the officer out of his way]

Flashback 3

3 months have passed since Derrick lost Alice. He has not been coping with it well at all. He has went to Alice's church. He has never been a religious man. The only reason he came here is because he had nowhere else to go. This is his first time inside the confession box.

Derrick: Father, I have not came in for a confession

Priest: Then what is it you seek my son?

Derrick: I have came for guidance. I have many thoughts going through my head and I need to know what my future will be if I make these decisions.

Priest: I will see what I can do my son.

Derrick: I am thinking about taking my life.

Priest: You will be damned to hell if you do.

Derrick: I already am Father. Why else would God take my wife.

Priest: You need to think. God works in mysterious ways. He did not take anything that wasn't already his.

Derrick: No she was mine! I would give anything to see her… Even if that means taking my own life.

Priest: I beseech you not to go through with this.

Derrick: Thanks for your time father. [walks out of confession box]

Priest: May God have mercy on you.

Flashback 4

It has been half a year. Derrick is still alive. His closest friend, Tuck, has come by to try and talk to him.

Tuck: I know it's tough man. I miss Alice just as much as you do. You know you guys were like family.

Derrick: I don't feel like talking about it right now Tuck. Will you hand me a drink?

[Tuck hand Derrick a canned soda]

Derrick: What is this?

Tuck: It is a coke.

Derrick: Very funny. Hand me a beer Tuck

Tuck: No way. You aren't gonna get drug down by that stuff. It's not good for your head man.

Derrick: You sound just like Alice! Last time I talked to her she said the same thing!

Tuck: Don't you wish it wasn't

Derrick:… out of my house...

Tuck: Look man...

Derrick: Out Tuck!

Tuck: [standing up] Fine! You lost Alice and now your losing your best friend. I hope you have a good life.

[Tuck leaves]

Present day

We are now back at the opening scene.

Derrick: I'm so sorry Alice. I was always so short with you. I had no right to be. It's been a whole year. It doesn't quite feel like Christmas. I remember our last christmas. It was cold out just like tonight. This is usually the time you would be getting into bed. If I was here I would lay beside you and trace the lines of your face just to make sure you were real. I love you and miss you so much. I just want to be with you. You were my everything and still are.

[Derrick pulls a gun out of his pocket and puts it in his mouth. Before he can pull the trigger he is shocked to see a figure walking towards him. It is Alice]

Derrick: Alice… is it really you?

Alice: I am here honey. Please just put down the gun.

Derrick: But Alice I just…

Alice: shhhh it is ok. You need to know what really happened.

Derrick: What do you mean?

Alice: I started the fire. I didn't want to make it out the house.

Derrick: But why?

Alice: I told you I would do anything to make you happy. I was the reason you were always hurting.

Derrick: No Alice. You were the reason I woke up in the morning. You were my reason for breathing.

Alice: As you were to me. I was losing you and I couldn't stand to see it but now I see that you are going to hurt even worse. I am your angel Derrick. I am here to protect you.

[Derrick gets up and tries to hug Alice. He goes through her and she disappears.]

Derrick: I will be with you again. [puts the gun to his head]

[the screen goes dark and a gun shot goes off. There is the sound of a door opening.]

Tuck's voice: Hey bro I just came by to….. Derrick no!

The End


The author's comments:
A script I had to create for my drama class