Kate...

Characters:
1.
Narrator 1
2.
Narrator 2
3.
Laurie
4.
Mother
5.
Sis- in-law (Sara)
6.
Kate [Silent]
7.
Lady
8.
Head mistress
9.
Mrs. Stone
10.
Teacher [Mostly silent]
11.
Rachel (silent)
12.
Suzanne (Silent)
[Note: wherever Laurie tells any incident to the mother other silent character to act it in side to show how it happened]
Narator1: When parents meet teachers, Lots of “mysteries” are resolved and lots of questions are sorted out. When a child goes to school, especially if it is his/her first day all the mothers get excited to know how their day was.
Narator2: This play is about a girl who just got admission in a new school. Today is her first day in kindergarten. Her name is Laurie. When Laurie renounced corduroy overalls with bibs and started wearing jeans with a belt.
[Laurie enters slamming the front door throwing her bag on floor shouting]
Laurie: Isn’t anybody here?
Mother: How was your school today?
Laurie: It was fine mom
Sis-in-law: Did you learn anything?
N1: This is Laurie’s aunt Sara, her father, James, is always on business trips so she stays with the family.
Laurie: Nothing
Mother: Anything?
Laurie: (taking bread from Table): The teacher punished a girl though.
Mother: A girl? Who was she? What did she do?
Laurie (thinks for a moment): She was Kate, and she hit the teacher. {Other actor, act it in a corner. Along with the dialogues}
Mother(surprised): HIT THE TEACHER?! Good heavens!!
Sara: Quite sur... She gets a phone call and leaves
N2: Rest of the day was quite normal. Next day Laurie left for school Quite Early. She was very much excited for the school.

N1: Soon time came when Laurie returned. Her mother was doing some usual errands. The minute Laurie came Laurie yelled.
Laurie: Today…
Mother: Yes Today….?
Laurie: Kate pushed Rachel who was walking with Suzanne. . {Other actor, act it in a corner. Along with the dialogues}
Mother (surprised): Oh my goodness!!
Sara (causally): She got punished? Right?
Laurie: Yes.
N2: Laurie was busy doing her homework. Her mother was talking to Sara.
Mother (concerned): Do you think this school is too unsettling for Laurie? This Kate girl sounds like such a bad influence.
Sara (involved in her mobile): It’ll be alright. Bound to be people like Kate in the world might as well meet them now as later.
N1: On Monday Laurie came home late full of news. Her mother was anxiously waiting in front steps.
Laurie: Kate was bad again!
Sara: Come right in the lunch is waiting.
(Three of them enter the dinning room. While eating)
Laurie: She yelled at a fourth grade girl. She was asked to stay back after school. We all stayed with her. . {Other actor, act it in a corner. Along with the dialogues}

Mother: Oh! So that’s the reason you are late.
Sara: …And what did she do?
Laurie: She just sat there.
N2: Monday night was the first Parents’ teacher meet. Laurie’s mother desperately wanted to meet Kate’s mother but unfortunately Laurie had bad cold and she couldn’t go.
N1: Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays were routine. Kate yelled during story hour, hit a boy in stomach. On Friday Kate stayed in school, so did all children. Within the third week Kate was an institution in the family. . {Other actor, act it in a corner. Along with the dialogues} But during third and fourth week Kate was totally reformed. Laurie reported:
Laurie: Kate was so good today that the teacher gave her apples. {Other actor, act it in a corner. Along with the dialogues}
Sara: Kate? Are you sure?
Laurie: Kate passed crayons and picked up books afterwards. The teacher said she was a helper. . {Other actor, act it in a corner. Along with the dialogues}
Mother: What happened to her suddenly?
Laurie: She was the helper that’s all…
N2: At night when Laurie was asleep, Laurie’s mother and Sara were having a discussion on Kate.
Mother: Can this be true? I mean Kate is changed!
Sara (involved in her mobile): Wait and see. When you’ve got a Kate to deal with, this may mean she’s only plotting something mischievous…
N2: Sara seemed wrong. For over a week Kate was teacher’s helper; each day she handed things out and picked things up; No one had to stay after school. On Monday morning when Laurie left for school her mother told Sara:
Mother: The PTM is next week. I am going to find Kate’s mother. I am interested
Sara: Me too
N1: On Friday of that week things were back to normal:
Laurie (in demanding voice): You know today Kate asked a boy to say a word to the headmistress. She punished the boy and Kate laughed. {Other actor, act it in a corner. Along with the dialogues}
Sara interested: What was it?
Laurie: I’ll whisper
Laurie whispers something to Sara which surprises her:
Sara: Then what happened to Kate?
Laurie: Nothing she was passing the crayons
N2: Soon the day came for which the whole family was waiting…The PTM. Laurie along with her mother reached school. Her mother was every face. Soon she met a girl who met a girl who wore a batch of 1st grade.
Laurie runs to play in sandpit. The mother whereas goes closer to the girl and her mother.
Mother (politely): hello! I’m Laurie’s mother.
The Lady (a lil disgustedly): oh! Hi...Um...Let’s go. (Saying to the girl)
The headmistress joins the Laurie’s mother.
Headmistress: Hi! You must be Mrs. Pearson, Laurie’s mother?
Mother: Oh yes! I am
Headmistress (pointing to a lady behind her): this is Rachel’s mother, Mrs. Stone.
Mrs. Stone (looking at the headmistress): I Think I should leave now…nice to meet you!
Mother: I have been so anxious to meet you.
The teacher joins in.
Teacher: We are all so interested in Laurie.
Mother: Well she certainly likes the school.
Headmistress (laughs): We had some time adjusting but now she is a good helper.
Teacher: With some occasional lapses of course!
Mother: Laurie adjusts quite quickly. Maybe it is all Kate’s influence.
Teacher (surprised): Kate?
Mother (Laughing): yes, you must have your hands full of Kates!
Headmistress: But…we don’t have any Kate!

PamplemousseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jul. 13, 2013 at 3:10 am:
Great story and adaptation. I think it'd be interesting to see on stage. I recommend editing the format a little bit (I know its hard to do that when submitting work on here so I totally understand) and making it a little bit easier to read, it felt choppy at points, even for a script. Also, I like the idea of having the dual scenes with the action on the side. It'd be cool if you actually wrote in the dialogue for those parts. Overall though, the play was great and I'm totally gonna... (more »)

kmeepThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 30, 2013 at 9:33 am:
Nice script.

DaraZHanson said...
This script sounds vaguely familier. In fact, I've read the exact same script, except the name's were different. The wording was almost exactly the same, except for some extra charcters. No plagerizing!

ILoveWritingAlot replied...
Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:47 am :
actually this play is inspired (adapted) from a story by shirley jackson [i have given the credits in the side quote box] maybe that's why the lines are similar... :)

realitysucks said...
Sept. 22, 2012 at 10:00 am:
OMG. I love this script. Great writing and great job.

Vagabond replied...
Sept. 23, 2012 at 4:43 am :
Thanks!
really glad you liked it :)

Vagabond said...
Sept. 19, 2012 at 3:45 am:
Please check my other work too! Thanks :)

Writer Y. said...
Sept. 15, 2012 at 7:56 am:
wow really liked it!!!!

Vagabond replied...
Sept. 15, 2012 at 8:00 am :
Thanks! really glad you liked it

Liar L. said...
Sept. 15, 2012 at 7:46 am:
O-M-G-NOW THATS SOME WORK... LOVEDITALOT!!

Vagabond replied...
Sept. 15, 2012 at 8:00 am :
Thanks! really glad you liked it

Hope T. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
So intriguing! I started to suspect that Laurie was Kate at the line, "She even got some apples."

Vagabond replied...
Sept. 15, 2012 at 6:53 am :
haha!
Glad you liked it :)

Vagabond said...
Aug. 27, 2012 at 5:57 am:
    please check my book "a new era" and send your feedbacks!! Thanks!! :)

young-author said...
There's a story called Charles. It is this play exactly, except with different characters adn the lead is a girl instead of a boy.

Vagabond replied...
Aug. 18, 2012 at 4:15 am :
It is actually adapted from Sherly Jackson's story "Charles" and it is a story^ and this is a play...

MadeasDaughter replied...
Oct. 14, 2012 at 7:03 pm :
The comment is right. You should have been more original. It was a bit of a shame to see that all this play was is Charles made over. What a shame.

AvidReader replied...
Apr. 18 at 8:49 pm :
I have to agree. While reading this script, I kept on thinking of Charles, a script I've read before. Yes, I know it is adapted, but a lot of the things are the same. Frankly, the biggest changes I've seen are the gender/name change of Charles and the pantomiming. I know you adapted it so you can have the same plot and all, but some lines are just cut and pasted from Jackson's work.  I did love the foreshadowing you added with the woman who acted edgy around the mom. I'm sur... (more »)

3love3 said...
Aug. 3, 2012 at 5:05 am:
awesome!!!

Vagabond replied...
Oct. 14, 2012 at 3:42 am :
Thanks a lot i really appreciate it!