Four Red Balloons | Teen Ink

Four Red Balloons

August 20, 2019
By thevkjohnson BRONZE, Yarrow Point, Washington
thevkjohnson BRONZE, Yarrow Point, Washington
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A One-Act Play

 

Characters

MADELYN, a teenage girl. Protective, loyal, and bookish.

CARA, her younger sister. Extroverted and kind.

DR. JOHANSSON, a therapist. They/them, patient, really likes koalas.


Place

A therapist’s office, with a clock ticking not quite in rhythm.


Time

Present day.


Intro music, potentially “Bridge to Terabithia - It’s All Gone” plays. Madelyn and Dr. Johansson sit facing one another.


DR. JOHANSSON: Madelyn?


MADELYN: Hm?


DR. JOHANSSON: I asked you, what would you like to be different when you leave here today?


MADELYN: My sister.


DR. JOHANSSON: What about her?


MADELYN: I… I want her back.


DR. JOHANSSON: While I…


MADELYN: I want to see her smile again. I want to hear her laugh. I want to see her playing with those damn balloons again. I want to see her sleeping, eating, talking, stealing my clothes… living. Anything. Anything but dead.


DR. JOHANSSON: Grief is a complicated thing, Madelyn. It can often make you think and feel in ways that are hard to make sense of. I know you miss her, more than miss her, and I know it’s hard. It will probably always be hard, but eventually it won’t hurt as much.


MADELYN: When?


DR. JOHANSSON: I wish I could tell you.


Beat.


DR. JOHANSSON: Have you been keeping a journal? The one we talked about, where you’d write down-?


MADELYN: interrupting N-no.


DR. JOHANSSON: I think it would help you. I won’t force you, but please consider it.


MADELYN: Okay.


DR. JOHANSSON: Is there anything you’d like to talk about today? Anything at all?


MADELYN: …


MADELYN: Cara. Her name was Cara.


Surprised, but welcoming this unexpected change in their patient, Dr. Johansson sits back in their chair and nods.


MADELYN: She smiled. She smiled so much. And… it was always so big, and so geniune, and so loving. 


DR. JOHANSSON: Do you think you smile like that?


MADELYN: No. Not since she died. Not without her.


DR. JOHANSSON: You will, Madelyn.


MADELYN: Cara…


DR. JOHANSSON: You will.


MADELYN: Cara?


Lights fade to black as Madelyn continues calling. When lights come back up, Cara is sitting on the floor, her backpack thrown on the ground, a visible bruise on her body, and books strewn about. Her hair is a mess, and she’s angrily dabbing at her eyes. Madelyn’s hair, which was previously down and covering part of her face in the therapist’s office, is in a ponytail.


MADELYN: Cara?


CARA: Madelyn? she shakily tries to stand, but Madelyn rushes over to sit her back down. They.. they kept telling me…


MADELYN: Shh, shh. I know.


CARA: Why can’t they just leave me alone?


MADELYN: It’s okay. It’s all gonna be okay. 


Madelyn reaches into her bag for a water bottle.


MADELYN: Here, drink this.


As Cara drinks, Madelyn picks up the bag and books.


CARA: quietly Thanks.


MADELYN: What did they say?


CARA: They said I talked too much, that if I didn’t keep my big fat mouth shut they’d beat me up. I guess I didn’t stay quiet and so they did.


MADELYN: Remember what Mom said about bullies at school?


CARA: I know. But being insecure doesn’t mean you need to hurt someone else!


MADELYN: You’re right, but they don’t know what else to do.


CARA: You don’t know that, Madelyn. Maybe they do and they’re just mean.


Beat.


CARA: Am I really too loud?


MADELYN: Of course you aren’t.


CARA: You’re just saying that because I’m your sister, aren’t you?


MADELYN: No, Cara, I’m not.


Cara smiles at her sister, accepting her statement


MADELYN: Here, let me fix your hair.


CARA: giggles It’s a little crazy.


MADELYN: A bit.


Madelyn begins to braid her hair.


MADELYN: Remember our song? You are my sunshine, my only sunshine...


MADELYN & CARA: ...you make me happy when skies are grey, you’ll never know dear, how much I love you. please don’t take my sunshine away…


MADELYN: I don’t remember the rest of it.


CARA: Me neither. Are you done yet?


MADELYN: Don’t be so impatient. Why don’t you tell me about school?


CARA: I already did!


MADELYN: Okay, the good parts. Did anything fun happen?


CARA: Well, Mr. Parker forgot to ring the bell so we got an extra five minutes of recess! Then Kimberly and I played pretend and she let me be the Queen of the Fairies. Julie and Rowan wanted to play too, so we all went to make daisy crowns cause Rowan wanted to be Princess. Then Mr. Parker got mad at us for picking the flowers so we just put one behind my ear and then I got captured by goblins and Rowan and her servant Julie had to come rescue me from the evil queen, who was Kimberly... Oh! Then Kimberly was sad because she didn’t want to be evil so we decided that Princess Rowan was lost and we had to rescue her from the woods and Kimberly and Julie were also Fairy Queens. Mr. Parker said we had to stop playing pretend, though, because we were being too loud so I found a ball and we played four square instead!


MADELYN: Foursquare sounds fun!


CARA: Not really… I got in trouble for getting too excited when Julie got Nate out cause he’s always really mean about losing. He was really angry when Julie did that so I tried to help her but then he got mad at me too.


MADELYN: Because you were being too loud again?


CARA: I guess. I was trying to be quiet, though!


MADELYN: I believe you.


Madelyn finishes braiding Cara’s hair, and helps her stand up.


MADELYN: There you go.


CARA: Thanks.


There’s a pause as Cara looks down at her bruise.


MADELYN: Don’t worry about it, Car. 


CARA: …


MADELYN: Know what I saw earlier today?


CARA: What?


MADELYN: Oh come on, it won’t be a surprise if I tell you!

 

CARA: You never said it was a surprise!


MADELYN: It is now. Come on!


Madelyn quickly lifts a laughing Cara onto her back and races offstage with her. Lights fade, and the ticking of a clock can be heard as Madelyn re-enters and sits by the desk when the lights come back up.


DR. JOHANSSON: Hold onto your good memories, Madelyn. Hard as it may be, you’ll come to find joy, maybe even peace, in them.


MADELYN: …


DR. JOHANSSON: Is there anything else you’d like to tell me? About that day, maybe?


MADELYN: It’s strange… I remember everything; what color her clothes were, the weather, the place I was standing.


DR. JOHANSSON: Our memories can be quite sharp sometimes. 


MADELYN: I guess.


DR. JOHANSSON: Why do you think that day is so important? In your memory, that is.


MADELYN: changing tone It’s not important.


DR. JOHANSSON: Alright.


MADELYN: insisting It’s not important.


DR. JOHANSSON: I believe you, Madelyn.


MADELYN: You don’t.


DR. JOHANSSON: Why do you say that?


MADELYN: You want an answer. You want to know why I’m still holding onto all of this, why it still dictates everything about me and my life even three years after it happened. It’s been three years since… since she died. And I’m not giving you the answer you want.


DR. JOHANSSON: You’re giving me the answer you’re ready to give me. And I’m not a detective, Madelyn. I’m here to help you. I’m not here for the sake of understanding the details of the accident.


MADELYN: Then why do you keep asking about it?


DR. JOHANSSON: Because I think it’ll help you to talk.


MADELYN: I’m talking.


DR. JOHANSSON: You are. You certainly are.


Beat.


MADELYN: I shouldn’t be. I don’t even deserve to.


DR. JOHANSSON: Why would that be?


MADELYN: It’s my fault.


DR. JOHANSSON: Excuse me?


MADELYN: It’s my fault she’s gone.


DR. JOHANSSON: N-


MADELYN: IT’S MY FAULT. It was all my goddamn fault. Don’t tell me everyone makes mistakes. Oh yes, they do, and a mistake should never cost someone their life. I was the spark that started the fire, and I escaped without a single mark on my skin. I cost my sister her life. And no matter what you say, no matter what you make me do, nothing, NOTHING, will ever change that. I told her, promised her, that I’d keep her safe, that I’d always love her, and that she’d never be alone. I lied. I’ll never get to tell her that I love her again. I’ll never laugh with her, sing to her, or braid her hair again. 


I hate the word never. 


What if I don’t want to forget? What if I just want to sit and wait for her until “never” is over?


DR. JOHANSSON: What would she say?


MADELYN: What?


DR. JOHANSSON: What would Cara say if you saw her again?


MADELYN: She wouldn’t forgive me.


DR. JOHANSSON: Are you saying that because you’d never forgive yourself?


MADELYN: I KNOW she would forgive me! She would forgive me because that’s the kind of heart she has. Had. That’s the heart I cost the world by breaking my promises and causing the death of the person I loved the most.


Beat.


MADELYN: She would… she would say…


MADELYN & CARA: I love you.


MADELYN: putting her hair up in a ponytail I love you too, Car. Alright, close your eyes…


CARA: Aw, do I have to?


MADELYN: It’s supposed to be a surprise!


CARA: I know, I know. But..


MADELYN: Please?


CARA: Fine.


MADELYN: Okay, I’ll be right back.


She walks partially offstage, acquires four red balloons and walks back.


MADELYN: Open them.


CARA: NO WAY! You got me balloons?


MADELYN: Yeah! All for you, Car.


CARA: I love you so much, Maddie! she throws her arms around Madelyn in a big hug


MADELYN: I got as many as the seller had left - they were running low.


CARA: No, no, no, it’s perfect! Cause, cause you know…. there’s one for each of us! That one’s Dad, and that one’s Mom!


MADELYN: I guess that makes this one me.


CARA: And that one’s mine!


MADELYN: Here you go. She hands a grinning Cara all four balloons.


CARA: Bet you can’t catch me! 


In the next bit, music comes on as Cara and Madelyn run lightheartedly through the stage, chasing one another, playing, and ad-libbing. It can be presented stylistically or literally, depending on director preference. By the end, they’re both breathing hard but obviously happy.


MADELYN: I think…. I think that’s enough running for me.


CARA: Lazzzzzzzyyyyy!


MADELYN: Yeah, yeah.


CARA: Lazy, lazy, lazy, lazy.


MADELYN: Oh, shh. Go play for a bit - we have a half hour before we’re supposed to be home.


CARA: What are you gonna do?


MADELYN: Read. I just got this really good book - it’s called Bridge to Terabithia and it’s…


CARA: Sounds boring. Are you sure you don’t want to come play with me?


MADELYN: Nah, I’m tired. Just stay close, k?


CARA: Fine.


She skips off with the four balloons, muttering “lazy, lazy”


MADELYN: Oh, be quiet!


CARA: from within and purposefully off-pitch You are my suuuuunshine, my only sunnnnnshine.


MADELYN: reading, singing quietly You make me happy, when skies are grey. You’ll never know dear, how much I love you. Please don’t take my sunshine away.


Lights fade as we transition back into the therapist’s office, and Madelyn’s hair is put back down.


MADELYN: Please don’t take my sunshine away…


DR. JOHANSSON: What happened that day, Madelyn?


MADELYN: She…. I, she….


DR. JOHANSSON: It’s okay if you’re not ready.


MADELYN: It was my fault.


Beat.


DR. JOHANSSON: Madelyn, was that the day that Cara…


MADELYN: Died.


DR. JOHANSSON: Oh. Yes, I see.


Madelyn, both furious and devastated, swats at her eyes.


DR. JOHANSSON: I’m so, so sorry.


MADELYN: So am I. Sorry for what I did to her.


DR. JOHANSSON: You loved her, Madelyn. And somewhere out there, if you choose to believe it, she still loves you.


MADELYN: It just isn’t fair.


DR. JOHANSSON: Death never is.


MADELYN: It should’ve been me, not her. And even now, she would still find it in her to continue loving someone who took everything away from her. 


DR. JOHANSSON: You’re taking everything away from yourself right now. You’re not living, Madelyn, you’re just existing. You’re refusing to take every other breath or sleep at night because you’ve convinced yourself that you don’t deserve it. That’s not what Cara would’ve wanted for you. I don’t know what happened that day, and I won’t pretend to. But she loved you. Love isn’t limited to when things are fair or right. Love is understanding that they aren’t always so, and accepting the other person regardless. Cara loved you. I know she did, and she still does. You just don’t love yourself.


Beat.


MADELYN: I’d like to think, Dr. Johansson, that you’re right.


DR. JOHANSSON: smiles One day you’ll believe me.


MADELYN: One day I might.


MADELYN: taking a deep breath. It was a Tuesday. May 24th. Cloudy, but still a little bit of sun. I remember the day better than what I ate for dinner an hour ago. Cara was wearing her favorite blue shirt - the one she got from our aunt on her 9th birthday. The last time I ever saw it, it was the same color as the balloons. I was sitting reading Bridge to Terabithia, of all books. I figured I’d just let her play for a bit - really, I think, I just wanted her to get some energy out before we went... home. I remember looking up for just a second and watching as she went racing away with those four red balloons. Then I went back to my book. I’d give anything, anything, to go back and fix that day, to have put down my stupid book and played with my little sister. But I didn’t. I can’t go back. The last thing I ever told my sister, ever told the person I loved the most, was to be quiet. Just like those bullies at school did. And then… then she’d let go of one of the balloons. It was floating up into the sky and she’d gone running into the street chasing it and didn’t see the car coming and the driver wasn’t paying attention and then she screamed for me, screamed, and I wasn’t there.


As Madelyn finishes, the lights change around her and the horn of a car is heard. Cara screams. The horn honks again.


CARA: MADELYN!


Cara screams again as the horn blares, but Cara’s scream never finishes. The sound builds and Madelyn yells for Cara, sobbing. The sounds of an ambulance horn blares and the soundscape builds while Madelyn grabs at her ears.


MADELYN: CARA!! CARA! NO!


DR. JOHANSSON: Madelyn?

MADELYN: No, no, no, Cara!


DR. JOHANSSON: Madelyn, can you hear me? Are you alright?


Madelyn looks up at Dr. Johansson, terrified, before running offstage sobbing. The sound of a door slamming is heard. Blackout. 

-

DR. JOHANSSON: Madelyn!


When the lights come back on, Madelyn is stumbling back onstage, no longer in the therapist’s office. She collapses in a heap, rocking from crying so hard. Cara enters, holding the four red balloons.


CARA: Your hair looks nice down.


MADELYN: Wh- what?


CARA: Shh... It’s me, Cara. Don’t you recognize me?


MADELYN: I… I do but I don’t und…


CARA: It’s okay. I’m here now.


MADELYN: But you… you died. You’re gone. No, no, this isn’t real. I’m going crazy. You can’t talk to a ghost.


CARA: I missed you, though. I know you missed me. I’m here, you’re here… who cares if this is real?


MADELYN: It could’ve been.


CARA: It was an accident. Neither of us wanted it to happen, Madelyn. But it wasn’t your fault.


MADELYN: …


CARA: Can you do me a favor?


MADELYN: Yes... anything.


CARA: I want you to promise me that one day you’ll forgive yourself for this. Maybe even today.


MADELYN: I’ll try.


CARA: No, promise me.


Beat.


MADELYN: I promise you, Cara.


Cara smiles, and looks up at the balloons.


CARA: What would you have told me instead?


MADELYN: Huh?


CARA: If you’d known it was the last thing you’d ever say to me, what would you have told me?


MADELYN: That I cared about you, more than anyone or anything else in the universe. That a day would never pass where I didn’t miss you. That I’d sooner die before I forgot about you. That I’m so sorry I didn’t keep you safe and that I’m sorry for everything I’d ever done wrong. And that I would never stop loving you.


CARA: I love you, too.


Cara hugs Madelyn tightly, balloons still in hand.


CARA: Here, these are for you.


She hands Madelyn three of the four balloons.


MADELYN: What about the last one?


CARA: Don’t worry. I’ll keep it safe. 


Beat. When Cara begins to sing, she slowly starts to walk offstage.


CARA: You are my sunshine, my only sunshine.


MADELYN & CARA: You make me happy, when skies are grey. You’ll never know dear, how much I love you…


Madelyn begins to cry as Cara gently comforts her, a swap between their usual roles.


MADELYN: Please don’t…/


CARA: /It’s okay.


MADELYN: Take../


CARA: /Shh…


MADELYN: my sunshine away.


CARA: It’s okay. It’s all gonna be okay. 


MADELYN: Because… 


MADELYN: Because you are real.


CARA: Because I always will be.


Beat. Madelyn nods gently, still crying. “You Are My Sunshine” begins to play faintly in the background.


CARA: Goodbye, Maddie.


MADELYN: through her tears. Goodbye.


And Cara exits, leaving behind Madelyn and three balloons. A beat before Madelyn begins quietly saying the words along with the song playing.


MADELYN: ...You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are grey...


Lights fade as Madelyn looks towards the place where Cara left, as if the song was for her. As the song continues to play, Madelyn sits clutching the three red balloons close to her heart. 


The end.


The author's comments:

Four Red Balloons was inspired by chance during a babysitting job, and is my first attempt at playwriting.