The New Halloween Town | Teen Ink

The New Halloween Town

There is always more than one way to tell a story. One way is through a film or a movie, then another way is through a play. These two ways can have many similarities and also many differences. In The Nightmare Before Christmas it very much proves the play can be very different from the film. You can see that in Act 1 Scene 3 in the play, everything starts out the same and ends up changing. This change could have simply been made to be safe; tTherefore, so the audience doesn’t start losing interest.

In the play The Nightmare Before Christmas and the film by the same name, both start out with the setting of Halloween Town. When the main character Jack, The Pumpkin King, starts to feel really tired of his creepy, spooky life here in Halloween Town, and wants something new for a change. When Jack decides to go for a walk, he comes across something that caught his attention immediately. When he approaches this mysterious door, Jack is sucked into what could’ve been to spark his happiness again. He gets up out of this white, chilling, flakey substance he’s never seen before, but once he gets up he can’t believe his eyes. All the colors, lights, cheerful people, he has found himself in Christmas Town; however, he sees an eye opening shadow and once his ear connects with his eyes, he is convinced he’s just witnessed… Sandy Claws. The Pumpkin King starts getting to work to recreate Christmas which has him delighted, while through the process he met Sally, a ragdoll made by the one and only Mr. Finkelstein. Things might have sparked between Jack and Sally.

In The Nightmare Before Christmas both the film and the play are completely the same. Going through the script and watching the movie I almost found no differences; however, after looking at the script while watching the movie, In Act 1 Scene 3, after “What’s This?” another song started playing called “Christmas Townfolk.” This difference was in the play but was not played in the movie. This change could simply just be caused to make sure the audience doesn’t grow to be unentertained. That is a big thing directors have to make sure they prepare for, the audience has to stay interested. In this movie and play, it is very interesting since it is basically a cartoon; hHowever, people would say since it’s a cartoon, directors and screenwriters don’t need to do the same things as in real movies,. wWhich is wrong:, the people behind the scenes still have to worry about the same things, if they used a green screen or if they have to know how to get the right camera angle. Also When Jack makes it to Christmas Town, it shows the whole town in one shot (17:04),. wWhich is a Aerial Shot, that is something a play could not do but a movie definitely can.

In conclusion, The Nightmare Before Christmas is a good example that shows how a play and film can have similarities and still be different from each other. Just like in Act 1 Scene 3, when things start out exactly the same and becomes different. Also how in the film it does an Aerial Shot of the whole city (17:04) which can’t be done in a play.

I decided to do this movie because i really enjoyed it as a child.