I Want to Be Happy | Teen Ink

I Want to Be Happy

By mmorse GOLD, Lousiville, Kentucky
mmorse GOLD, Lousiville, Kentucky

I'm a piece of paper. Everyone uses me, tears me apart, and I get thrown in the trash. A simple life.

Jamie and his mother are in a kitchen with an island in the middle of it. He is 16, very outgoing and quirky, and he likes standing up for what’s right. He is dressed in shor tsthat go a little over the knee, a long sleeve white shirt that has little rainbows all over it,long socks, checkered vans, and an all-white Nike hat. He likes to say the word happy.His mom is dressed in a nice black top with a matching pencil skirt, she has her hair tiedup in a bun, she is wearing a cross necklace and cross earrings. He had just told his momthat he is gay, and he is proud. His mother is super extremely and is upset with her son.She doesn’t believe that people can be a part of the LGBTQ+ community. She thinks it’sa sin. But her son can’t control if he’s gay. He doesn’t understand why his mom is beingso unaccepting. His dad is fine with him being gay; actually, he’s proud but his mom isn’t. [The curtains go up as Jamie and his mom are on stage]

Jamie: Why can’t you understand, Mom? Dad understands! Listen, I know you’re reallyreligious and everything but I’m happy like this. [Crosses arms] I’m proud to be gay.Dad is happy for me; why can’t you be? [lightly] I want to be happy, Mom. Let me be happy! [angry] Why can’t you be happy for me? I was always there when you had breast cancer! Do you know how upset I was? Knowing my mom might die? Dad had to get me a therapist while you were at therapy. I started skipping school, Mom. I need you to behere for me.  Please be there for me. [Starts crying] I need you, Mom. Can’t just have Dad, I need you too. Please, please, please love me. Hell, you can hate me withall your gut, please just be there for me. [takes a big deep breath in, continues lightly,] I’m going through a lot and I need you. I’m in love with a guy. He loves me too. His name is Jack. He’s the one for me. I can just feel it, Mom. Hell, you can meet him if you want. You can hate him. He’s been the best thing that’s ever happened to me. [sighs] I know that I can’t control everything. I just don’t understand why you are doing this to me. Discrimination is a bad thing. You do know, that right? I was telling Jack about you. About how great of a mother you are, or what I thought you are.  He wants to meet you and Dad. I keep putting it off. He thinks that we are one perfect family. [rolls eyes as lights slowly go dark]

kitkatnotes said...
on Nov. 20 2018 at 9:45 pm
kitkatnotes, Maple Grove, Minnesota

I said whoever threw that paper, ur ma's a hoe

Oh, it is a sketch. Sorry. How did I not get that? -_- Wow. I'm sorry.

kitkatnotes said...
on Nov. 20 2018 at 9:23 pm
kitkatnotes, Maple Grove, Minnesota

Love the plot and the idea. However, was it meant to be sorta like a script? BC, if not, the dialogue and emotion of the story come off a little weird. Maybe you could use more written imagery like instead of putting the emotion of the moment in parenthesis, you could use descriptive sentences to...well, describe it. Overall, I like the idea and the plot. Keep up the good work!