Downfall | Teen Ink

Downfall

By alexiseileenstadler BRONZE, Holstein, Iowa
alexiseileenstadler BRONZE, Holstein, Iowa

“Buzz,” I heard as my alarm went off to go to school; Mom screamed from the stairs, “Eden wake up I’ve made you breakfast for once in my life!” As I roll out of bed knowing I have another day of high school. It’s my Junior year at Riverlands high, I’ve never been the guy to enjoy school, yeah I’m pretty smart and have good grades. But I hate sitting in front of people every day telling me what I need to know or do, for the rest of my life.

I’m not very popular in school, I have about four people I talk to sometimes; Alice, Alex, and Matt. They’re quite geeky, like me, but I like them,;they make me feel less alone in this world of horrible things. Alice is a girl that likes to make her opinion known and Alex is a big dude that plays sports. Matt is actually Chinese, which is ironic, he was adopted from China and somehow ended up here, in Colorado.

It was the eighteenth day of junior year, but who’s counting? I’m usually late for Chemistry but today I actually made it on time. As I walked into class, Mr. Josh stood up and laughed then sarcastically said, “ Wow, Eden you actually aren’t tardy, way to set a good example.” Well, now I’m completely embarrassed in front of the entire class, so that made me feel great, little did I know what my day would be getting even worse.
It was about  1:20 am when we all noticed stuff changing.

The world had already known about doctors creating new medicines. The news came on yesterday about some medicine outbreak, they said it was “minor” so we didn’t really pay much attention to it. At 3:21 am I got texts from Alex, I was sleeping so I didn’t think it was very important. But why would he text me this late? Alex usually never texts me at all.

I looked up at the clock it's 3:56 in the morning, so I decided to check my phone. 56 texts??? Why so many? I open up my phone and hit the iMessage icon to see what the hell is going on. Alex texted me, “lock your doors”, “Eden I’m serious there’s some crazy stuff going on out here, stay inside.” There were more texts then that but I didn’t really care I just wanted to know what’s going on. Why is everyone freaking out?

I ran downstairs to my Mom crying and my dad in her arms… I look at my dad laying on the floor dead, blue, but he looks different. He doesn't look the normal dead, he looks sick and his eyes have a glossy white glaze to them. My mother, crying on the ground started explaining while I was in total shock, from what’s before my eyes. She said, “He came in here and he was going crazy and he wouldn’t stop screaming. He tried attacking me and I didn’t know what to do.” “He was going crazy so I hit him in the head with the vase, I had to he wouldn’t stop!!” She looked at me with the saddest eyes I’ve ever seen, I said, “It’s okay mom you didn’t know what to do it’s okay.”

I grab the phone, knowing I should probably call the cops so they can figure out what’s wrong. I dial 911 and there’s no answer, that’s odd, very freaking odd. When does a police station not answer? The answer is never, at this moment I knew something was very wrong. I tried five times to call the station and still no answer, I also tried calling Alex and Alice. Why is no one answering? I go back into the living room and my mother is nowhere to be found, I check every room in the house and she’s gone. I hurry and I grab my coat, to go outside and look for her. I can’t see very much because it’s foggy out, I check the garage and dumbly check the dog house just to see if she went in there for some odd reason. She’s gone.

I take out my phone and I call Matt to see if he knew what is going on with everyone.

He answers, “Thank God Matt, what in the living hell is going on right now?”, He’s breathing heavy. I respond, “Matt? Is everything okay?”

He breathes in and out then he answers and says, “They’re everywhere go inside now I’m coming to your house, okay?”

I don’t really hear what he says next but I ask, “Wait, Matt, Who’s everywhere?” The line goes dead with a loud “beep”

I do as Matt says, I go into the house and I turn on the TV to see if there’s any news on what’s going on. As I watch the News, everyone's screaming and people in the background are running and the channel goes dead. I hear a fast knock at the door and it’s Matt, it’s been an hour since he said he would be here, did he walk?

I walk into the kitchen and I unlock the door and he’s waiting but there are people following, a ton of people actually, so I quickly open the door and let him in. He gasps as he walks looking for air and says “They’re everywhere and they are vicious, one bit me!” I ask him to pull up his sleeve to see the bite, I say, “Dude that bite looks bad let me get the first aid, I don’t know why or what’s really happening but this place is crazy right now.” I explain what happened with my mom and then I go get the first aid.

I got the first aid, I realized Matt was shivering and I went to go get him a blanket.  I went to my room upstairs and grabbed the 3 blankets on my bed for him. As I come downstairs I see that Matt is lying on the floor, I immediately run to him and see of he’s okay but he’s not moving. He jumps up, screaming like the others, he grabs my face and everything goes black.

The end.

I had to do this for a project in English.