New Species | Teen Ink

New Species

January 30, 2018
By Healthnsoul BRONZE, Bend, Oregon
Healthnsoul BRONZE, Bend, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Two scientists, Tom and Sue, are on there way to work.

Tom -
I’ve got a good feeling about today.

Sue -
Oh yeah? Why’s that?

Tom -
Not sure I just feel as if today will be a day to remember.

Sue -
Well I’d hope so, we’ve been way behind this month. Larry and Bonita are totally crushing us, not to mention any of our other co-workers.

Tom -
Yeah your right, we haven’t had a discovery in months.

Tom veers the vehicle to the right

Sue -
Careful!

Tom -
Woah! Didn’t see that coming!

Sue -
That rock almost crushed us! Just pay attention.

Tom -
Sorry Sue, my bad…. Hey what’s that over there?

Sue -
Looks like we got ourselves a new discovery.

Tom maneuvers the vehicle over to a huge floating sphere.

Sue -
Lets have a closer look shall we

They move in until they can see closely.

Tom -
This really could be our big discovery; and it looks as if something has built some sort of structures!

Sue -
And these things live in this conglomerate housing zones when there is so much more room everywhere else. Although they do seem to be a high performance species…

Tom -
We will have to set up some cameras to capture some footage of how they live.

Sue -
One step ahead of ya Tom.

Sue grabs a few cameras and goes around the habitat area setting them up before returning to the vehicle.

Tom -
I would love to stay but we should go report our discovery. We will return as soon as possible and study the footage.

Sue -
Sounds like a plan

A few days later Tom is moving between different scientific instruments in their laboratory as Sue with the cameras.

Tom -
You got the footage? (as he turns and walks towards Sue)

Sue -
Yeah, just gathered it all up. We got about 2 weeks of footage here (she sets down her load of cameras, Tom then takes tapes out of the cameras and hooks it up to a monitor).

Tom -
Intriguing… (as they watch the tapes of the unknown species)

Sue -
Yes, indeed.

Tom -
Like I said, this is our big discovery.

Sue -
I didn’t think it would be like this though, these things are very…. funny looking.

Tom -
I agree their bodies are sort of… weird… abdomen and external limbs are in peculiar placement

Sue -
Indeed. Must be why they move so slowly. They also seem to be one of the most oblivious high performance species, I’d say.

Tom -
I’ll second that. They don’t even seem to have noticed our set up, or for that matter they don’t even seem to notice we were there at all.

Sue -
Odd…
(They walk around the lab and switch between using different instruments while keeping their eyes on the monitor) Counter-Productive…

Tom -
Huh? What was that?

Sue -
This species seems counter productive in the way they interact.

Tom -
Ahh yes, I’ve notice the same thing. It’s as if they are destroying each other with every interaction. Not all of them, but most of them.

Sue -
I wonder why that is… interestingly enough though, they still tolerate each other.

Tom -
They have to in order to survive! It’s called reproduction, simply put.

Sue -
I think if we want to really learn about this species we should bring one in for testing.

Tom -
Good idea

They walk over to the front seats (as the lab is in the back of the vehicle), return to the habitat area, hover over a park, flip a switch, suck a man into their UFO, and fly off.