After-Earth | Teen Ink

After-Earth

By Jarold BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
Jarold BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin

In the year 3033, humans have long since migrated from earth into space. It was a wonderful time to be alive, as the majority of human groups lived on space carriers similar to aircraft carriers. These carriers were manufactured by the thousands, each of them being as large as the state of Texas. Sometime in the 2500's, Earth's population had reached capacity, and being in dire need of a place to go, the higher-ups in the U.N. approved the recent break through in artificial intelligence to serve in building these space carriers out of the world's collection of metallic garbage.

By this time in 3033, the artificial intelligence units that coexisted with the humans, called the Dwemer, have gone back to the polution torn Earth to collect the wedding rings from the billions of gravesites across all countries. These wedding rings were to be used in the construction of lazer beams, to beam in old automobiles from Earth, to the carriers, so they can be sold for fixing up, usage, or decoration. While a dwemer robot teleported a car to its specific space carrier, a polution mutated human, left on earth was crouching behind the car in hopes of finally making it out of the wasteland, that was earth.

The mutated human of after-earth appeared with his car in good condition, despite having to become acclimated with his new atmosphere. The human couldn't be more excited as he intended to merge into the space socities peacefully. As he left the automobile teleportation and repair shop, the evolved space humans began to take notice of the man's rugged looks and oddly shaped limbs. What a momentous day in history this was, to find a survivor of after-earth, hopefully to contribute to scientific research on the effects of polution mutation.

This piece was written by using the class prompt of incorporating the action of crouching behind a car, the object of an old wedding ring, the transportation of a spaceship, and the feeling of joy. 

Ideas were derived from the video game "Skyrim", and the movie "Wall-E".