The Nightmare Man | Teen Ink

The Nightmare Man

By BrenShirey BRONZE, Seaford, Delaware
BrenShirey BRONZE, Seaford, Delaware

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people" Eleanor Roosevelt

?Evan shut the fridge door and hurried back to his room. He took the water he had grabbed and placed the glass gently on the nightstand to make sure he did not wake up his mother. He grabbed the ancient book from his shelf and put it on the floor in an upright position, just as the old man said to do. He heard a creak coming from the hallway so he quickly shoved the book under his bed. “Go to sleep Evan, it’s two in the morning and you have camp tomorrow” his mother said. She clearly was half asleep so he just gave a quick nod and got up from the floor. If she finds out what I’m doing I’m dead, he thought. Barely being small enough to fit through, he managed to enter the secret entrance to the outside that he had built for himself long ago, making sure the door behind him was locked. He ran to the forest beside his house and gently placed the book back on the ground in the same position. The summoning can finally begin, he thought to himself. He had remembered exactly what the old man had told him. “He appears in the darkness, but the light can repel him. Your nightmares may overpower your dreams, but once you tell his name, he is no longer invulnerable. Be brave, and most of all, remember the name.” he took the water and slowly poured it in the shape of a circle around a pile of leaves. He thought, maybe this won’t work, or maybe I’m not going to let it work. A dark figure stood tall in front of him. Evan trembled and looked the figure dead in the eye. The figure grabbed him by the arm and threw him to the ground. “Evan, fears are something you can never overcome. They will rule your life forever. I will rule your life forever.” The figure yelled at him. “YOU CAN’T OVERCOME ME, I KNOW YOUR NAME!” Evan said as his screams slowly faded into a whisper. The man had disappeared, so he had thought. Evan stood up slowly to reassure that the man had left for sure. Suddenly, he was swept off of his feet and knocked back to the ground. “You cannot overcome me, you are only a child. A silly one if that.” The figure said. “I KNOW YOUR NAME. YOUR NAME IS NIGHTMARE. YOUR NAME IS NIGHTMARE!” Evan screamed. A flash of light beamed into his hand, and slowly started to build some kind of object. The light scattered and Evan beheld a sharp dagger with the name “nightmare” carved perfectly into the side. He took the dagger and slashed the figure across the side. He raised his eyebrows and widened his eyes and gave a slight grin to the creature. “NO, CHILD, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!” the figure let out a long, dramatic scream as he slowly became a cloud of ash and was swept away with the midnight breeze. Evan ran back to the house and locked up the entrance. He jumped in bed and closed his eyes, trying to forget the horror that he had just experienced. “Well this a story to tell” he said to himself. His dark green eyes came to a close as he fell asleep. His dreams that night started out normal. It was a dark, stormy night. Glass bottles shatter in the distance and feral cats meow as they scurry out of their sheltering alleyway. Excess raindrops drip down the gutter pipes of the apartment complex. Evan’s dream continues, only something isn’t cliché enough about this mystery scene. A tall, lanky black figure with glowing red eyes stealthily walks towards Evan. He backs up into a brick wall as the figure lures over him. The figure let out a crooked smile, only the teeth and eyes visible at this point. The figure lets out a deep whisper. “I told you I’d rule your life forever, Evan.” As his cold hand met Evans face.