Mermaid's Soul

“Sun kissing my cheek,
the wind dancing through the trees
I stand on the track”

I smiled to my reflection of my mirror as my mind creates a haiku. My soft black hair falling like a waterfall to my back. My bright green-blue eyes, small red lips, and small delicate nose. My black leather jacket covering my white shirt, black pants, and combat boots shined so many times that it reflects it surroundings.On my hand is a black guitar that I was attached to it because it was the only gift from my father. “My father.” I thought sadly. My father was a gangster and a drug dealer who always smoked marijuana, drank large amounts of alcohol, and cheated on my mother. H makes lost of dollars that my family lived in luxury, but our family was never perfect. When my father gets mad, he would either beat me or abuse my mother for no reason. I can remember the swearing, shouting, screaming, the sound of a gun shot, the copper smell of blood in the air and the tears that were flowed from my eyes. My older brother, Alexander who eight years older than me which he was 23, died one year ago because of a gun shot from my father when Alex tried to protect my mother and I. My mother called the police and the police arrested my father. My father went into jail very fast because of the lies that he made that he never did it and denying that he purposely killed his son, which he did. My mother immediately divorced my father and I was her only child left. Years pass and my mother changed from a nice, gentle mother to a extremely strict and discouraging mother. I got tired of her each day that I ran away to get out of this hell hole. Now, I am looking for a job across the country from one state to another just by either walking or bus. I did get help my Aunt Cheyenne, who the sister of my mother and travels with hr husband Uncle Cody because of jobs, who provides a bed for me each state I go to. Like I walked to Texas one time, and they provided me a room in a La Quinta hotel. Now, I am at New York, still looking for a job to jump start my career as a musician and singer. Or, I think I am at New York. I didn’t bring a map with me, so I had to trust either strangers or read signs that would tell me where I am. I picked up my guitar, looked around the last time to be sure that no-one is coming , and walked down the railroad toward the sun that symbolizes to me, my future.

As I continue, I heard a rustle on the right. I turned and the bush rustled and I could hear a growl. I froze and without thinking, I had left hand on the stem of the guitar and my right hand to the strings. But what came was a wolf. The wolf was the size of a German Shepard, with soil black fur. The wolf looked at me and he had a white face with black markings that made him look attractive with his gold eyes. My fingers suddenly pulled the strings and I started to sing:

“Ohhhh, Mr. Wolf
please don’t hurt me,
I am just a young girl
under the chains,
waiting for light
to shine and release me.”

The wolf looked at me and walked toward me. I stopped and was surprised that the my singing didn’t impressed him. The wolf then howled only for two minutes and rested at my feet. I signed with relief and rubbed the wolf’s stomach which he liked it a lot.
“You don’t look so vicious now, huh?” I asked as he panted. He is pretty friendly for a wolf, which I always thought of wolf as the Big Bad Wolf in Little Red Riding Hood or The Three Little Pigs.

“Hey, what are you doing?” A voice called out. I looked up and saw a man coming down the hill. He had long slick black hair, bright blue eyes, and looked somewhat American. But the thing about him is the atmosphere he has. He seemed to be a leader of some sort. I think it has to do with eyes. He looked handsome in a darkest, wolfish way which is not really my type. Should I also mention that he doesn’t have a shirt on? He had quite a muscular chest, but he only wear a cape of blue silk-like fabric

“Adalwolf! What are you doing here?” When he asked the question, Adalwolf looked at him and then at me. “Oh,” the man said. “Does it have to do with her aura?” The wolf barked, which sends me to a jump.

The man looked at me with eyes of a researcher and then said, “Huh, Adalwolf likes you, especially your aura.”

I stammered, “Uh, thanks.”

He nodded and said, “You see, wolfs have sensitive noses and can smell your scent which happens to be your aura. You must be special to trigger an alpha wolf like him.” He thought for a minute and then said, “What’s your name?”

I shifted uncomfortably and felt uncertain if I should trust him.  “I understand about your uncertainty about me. I’ll go first.” He held out his hand. “I am Connor Wolfgang.”

I felt a little bit better, also a little shocked and I then replied, “I don’t want to tell you.”

Connor had alarm in his eyes for a second, but then nodded. “I understand about that. Maybe have a new name? You pick it and when you decide, there is no turning back.” I thought for a minute. As I thought of a name, a name started to whisper into my ear from a memory that I held so precious in my heart.
“My name is Sirena.” I confirmed. Connor smiled, “That’s actually a good name. I am sure it will suit you well. Mind if I come along?”

So yeah, I let a stranger who I only know his name join me in my journey. Connor was very nice and talked a little bit, which seemed weird to me. I did most of chatting about my birth to childhood and what I am doing now.“And that is why I am here till I met you.” I concluded. 

Connor nodded, which he seemed to be a really good listener and then asked, “What is your gift or talent?”

I considered that for a moment and answered, “I can sing really good and I do play the guitar.” I picked up my black brass guitar to show it to him. Connor observed the guitar and then asked,”Can you sing me a song?” “What song.?” I questioned and he answered, “ Anything.” I close my eyes and sang -

“I die again,
I am going under.

Drowning in you,
I falling forever.

I got to break through,
I am going under.”

I stopped and Connor looked at me with a smile. “I know that song. It’s Evanescence “Going Under” he said.

I nodded and he then thought for a minute and then said, “I think I know who you really are.” What did he just say? I looked at him with eyes of confusion and he then said, “I think you are a syreni.” Syreni? What’s that?

He then, somehow realized that I don’ know what that is and then replied in a small voice, “A mermaid. I think you are a mermaid.”

“Wait a minute.” I asked as I sat on the ground. My head is spinning, my tongue giving me a metallic taste and my muscles feeling  weak. “I am a mermaid? How is that possible? Does that mean I have to live in the ocean. But I don’t even have a tail.” I asked with each question after the other.

Connor raised his hand for silence and I quoted. “I understand that you are bearing this news. I, too had to learn it the hard way and even today I am still overcoming it.”

I had my head to my knees, but then I asked, “Who are you?”

He looked at me and then hesitated for a minute before he answered, “ Lycanthrope or werewolf.”

I looked at him immediately and said fearfully, “Are you going to eat me?”

Connor laughed and answered, “No need to be cautious. I don’t eat human meat, but animal like beef. Raw when I am in transformation.”

“Oh.” I said weakly. There was a minute of silence between us.

Then Connor said, “ I know I’m a jerk for just telling you this-.”

“Oh no,” I said standing up from the wet ground, “No, no, no,no, no. I want to say thank you. I never understood why things happen to me. Now that you mention who I am, it’s makes a lot of sense why.” That is true, I have been wondering why fish like me and I always a awesome swimmer, even better than my friends who are born-swimmers. Also that I have a solo for each concert with the choir.

“I just knew that you are something special,” Connor explained as he sat down the grass with me. “Adalwolf senses a lot of people that have special genes like you and me. But, Adalwolf took an interest liking into you. It’s probably a good sign.”

I nodded and then hesitating asked, “Do werewolves have mates?”

Connor looked at me with a raised eyebrow. What makes you say that?”

“Well,” I answered and blushing a little on the cheek. “Why do you look so hot?”

Connor looked at me with surprised eyes, totally caught his guard down. I quickly placed my hands to my mouth. Idiot, what was I thinking? “I am so sorry,” I apologize, which sounded ironic. “I didn’t mean to say that.”

“No, that’s fine.” Connor said with smile as he played with his hair. “It just that you surprised me that you would ask a question like that. But yes, we do. All mythical creatures.” 

All of a sudden, a scream erupted from the east side of the forest. Connor and I perked up, all I smell is danger. My skin crawled and my stomach went hard. “What is that-.”

“Probably a demon,” Connor answered as he tied Adalwolf with a rope from Adalwolf’s neck to his wrist. “Or a giant. We have a lot of them these days.”

“I don’t think it is a giant or demon.” I said with uneasiness. Connor looked up and asked, “How do you know that?”

“I don’t know,” I answered as I listen carefully.”I think the scream was more of human than a mythical creature.” I started to walk toward where is scream is.

“Hey, wait for me!” Connor shouted as he catch up with me, which was pretty quick for a lycanthrope.

The location of the scream was at a old looking shack in the middle of the woods at the left side f the railroad that I was at. The old shack looked like a miniature trailer house. The windows are broken, the door steps dressed in grass, the metallic walls rusted, and the raccoons scurrying away from us. Connor sniffed the air and then made a scrunched up face.

“What is it?” I asked. he said, “Weird. There’s a new smell.” “So?” “So that means that the voice must be from the person whoever got in there.” He suddenly pulled out a bottle of blue growing liquid.

Without a second thought, he drank half of it and passed it to me. “I’ll pass.” I said immediately, I don’t want to know what happens if I drank that.

“It’s just a potion. Made by me, it helps you to feel strong for a day.” I considered that for minute. I looked at the bottle, the blue liquid swirled mysteriously with black sludge at the bottom. Without a second thought, I drank it. For one to say, Connor makes pretty delicious potions. The drink tastes like iced tea with a lot of honey and mint. It somehow makes me feel, alive. I mean, it’s definitely not like alcohol (I tried it only once and I swore to never taste anything like that every again.) or coffee. I started to feel steel in my muscles and my eyes going ten times sharper, like I’m looking through a pair of eagle eyes.

“Wow.” I said as I gave the empty bottle to Connor and he placed the bottle in the ground. What is he doing? Connor closed his eyes and the bottle suddenly disappeared.

“OH MY GOD!!” I yelled, jumping up and down in excitement.

Connor tried to shush me, “Be quiet”

“THAT BOTTLE JUST DISAPPEARED! HOW COULD YOU DO THAT!?!?” I yelled till Connor raised his hand and I quieted down.

“Yes, the bottle disappeared. But, I could only do that and more when I am only in human form.” Connor said. I looked at him, when did he tell that he is some Harry Potter or Merlin the Magician under a coat of wolf fur? Before I could say anything, Connor got to the door quietly and stood beside the door on the wall. I followed, and went to the right while Connor gone to the left.

As we got ready, Connor looked at me and then said, “Ready?” I nodded and the next moment, Connor bashed the door open and went in. I got in with my guitar behind him.

Someone needs to call the construction crew because the shank is horribly designed. The walls are rotted, the floor has several cracks and holes while the top ceiling is gone. Connor sniffed with Adalwolf, who I forgot he was with us, and I looked around like a normal tourist. I have to admit, I felt suspicious and have this tingling feeling inside of me that telling me something is wrong.
“Hey Sirena, “ Connor called from the hall on the right. “Come here.”

I noticed the surprise and nervousness from his voice and went down the hall.

‘Over here in the bedroom.” Connor called again and I came in.

The bedroom looked empty, but that’s not what surprised me. What really surprised me was a blond haired girl, looking 6 and wearing a white mangled pajamas, at the far end of the corner sleeping on the ground. Connor was right in front of her.

“What are you doing?” I whispered as I tip-toed to him.

“I’m going to wake her up.” He replied as he write something on his palm with a weird-looking pen.

“Why would you do that? What if she is dangerous? What is that?” I asked as I point to the pen.

He answered, “It’s an old fashioned wand. You see, when I write a spell on on my palm, it commands the spell.”

I looked at his palm and what I see is a word that suddenly translates to me.

“Wake” I whispered.

Connor looked at me with widen eyes, “You can read latin?”

“I don’t think so,” I answered, scathing my head. “I am not so good in learning a new language than English.”

Connor then went knee level to the girl and looked at me.

“Ready?” I shock my head, but Connor ignored me and placed his palm on the girl’s head and spoke something in a language that I couldn’t interpret. And in there moment, the latin word “wake” appeared at the girl’s head. After that, the girl opened her eyes.

“Monsters!” the little girl screamed, jumping and grabbed a stick. She tried swatted Connor, but he dodged it gracefully.

“No, we’re not monsters!” Connor yelled. The girl didn’t like his tone and kept swinging the stick at Connor while screaming, “Monsters!” 

“Sirena! Say something!” Connor yelled to me. I looked at him.

“Why would I help you? You’re the one that awoken her. And you need to lower that tone of yours if you want anyone to listen to you.”

“Sirena, do it! By the name of Lunarias, say something!!” He yelled back as he tried to dodge each swing from the girl as if it was a fly with a swatter.

“Ok, what song do you want?”

“SIRENA!!!” Connor bellowed. I shrugged and then started to sing a song that was a lullaby from my mother when I was a kid,

“Come little children,
I’ll take thee the way.
Into a land of enchantment.
Come little children,
the time come to play.
Here in my garden of shadows.”

The girl suddenly stopped and looked at me. “Your voice is beautiful.” The girl commented in her small voice and then begged me to sing more. I looked at Connor, who shock his head. I ignored him like what he did before he woke the girl and sang,

“ Follow sweet children,
I’ll show thee the way
through all the pain and sorrow.

Weep not poor children
for life is this way:
murder, beauty, and passion.

Hush now, dear children
it must be this way,
from weary of life and deception.

Rest now dear children,
for soon we’re away
into the calm and the quiet.”

The girl looked at me with her innocent looking eyes and from her eyes came rivers.

“Oh child, don’t cry.” I said and hugged her. I was surprised, she is so cold. “You are beautiful. You matter and never let anyone bring you down for being you.” I actually didn’t know why I said this, but I don’t care. For some reason, this girl reminded me about my past self and how I thought of suicidal thoughts. The girl hugged me and the next thing I noticed, I felt nothing. I opened my eyes and saw the little girl gone.

“Where did she go?” I asked as I stand up and looked around. Everything is normal, but Connor looked me with widen eyes.

“Sirena, that’s a lost spirit. A deceased spirit that never got to sleep peacefully. You somehow satisfied her with your singing.”

I stood up and looked at Connor. “You are sure?” I asked and he nodded. I don’t know what to say. How did Connor wake the girl with a spell? Did he tormented her or wake her from her grave? I guess I’ll never know what he did. His hand was written “Wake”, but how did he do it?

“Sirena, can I tell you something?” Connor questioned.

“Hmmm?” I said while thinking about the situation.

“How would you feel about coming with me? I know a place that is hosted by people that are like you and me. But instead of fearing the normals, we help keep the evilness of the world at bay.” Connor explained to me.

I thought of that for a minute, help people? Why? And how can I help?

Connor then said, “Since you helped that girl with your singing, maybe you could help us by using your voice to persuade people to do something. And trust me, we need a mermaid for long time, and you are the first in about two centuries.”

“Uh, thanks for the compliment?” I said, felling a little embarrassed.

“No I’m being serious.” Connor said, stepping toward me. “Adalwolf must’ve like you for a reason and I believe he showed me to you. Perhaps a lost soul that never fully learned her monstrous potential?”

Lost soul? What does he mean by that?

Connor saw the confusion in my eyes and then explained, “I am saying that you don’t know what are really are and you are not raised the way you should be raised. “

“Oh.” I said, now understood what he said. “Would be weak since I wasn’t “raised as I should be”?” 

Connor shock his head, “Your gift and power not go small, but bigger till it can’t go no more which when you die.”

I thought about it, what about my dream? I don’t think my dream would do any good if I cross country to find money to only buy food and have a room to sleep in.

Connor looked at me, “Well, are you coming with me?”

Decided on my choice, I stood up, looked at Connor in the eye, and answered with all of my heart, mind, strength and soul in one words, “Yes.”

reach4marsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
today at 5:19 pm
I am so stunned at this, it's an incredible piece! (I really loved the ending the "answered with all of my heart, mind, strength and soul in one word", that line was so incredibly powerful I love it! I also loved the lyrics that the girl sang, you may have a bright future in lyric writing) Great work! -also, I'm so touched that my photo was able to play a part in the creation of your piece :)

reach4marsThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
today at 5:22 pm
*oops I meant boy XD

SpeakerofWolvesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
today at 10:26 pm
Thank you! This is one of my favorite stories so far! I look forward to using your pictures for inspiration! I love your photos and you have quite a talent! I wish thousands of people could see them!