Shadow Men | Teen Ink

Shadow Men

January 6, 2017
By PrettyOdd SILVER, Connellsville, Pennsylvania
PrettyOdd SILVER, Connellsville, Pennsylvania
9 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't listen to them when they say it's just a fool, just a fool to believe you can change the world. The smallest thing can make all the difference. Love is alive."
-Carrie Underwood


At the entrance of the little shack, bodies were collapsed at her feet, the wind catching their clothes and hair. She was afraid, sweat beaded down her brow in clumps. She had actually killed those people. The thought of the people whose families she ruined attacked her. They almost made her second guess her choice. However, she realized that no one cared when they tore her family limb from limb. She went on with her mission, and found the shop owner she was searching for.
“Where?” She asked the second she saw him. She knew he was expecting her. This hadn’t been her first visit, but the others hadn’t been in her favor. She intended for this to be the last, and the one where she finally started to get justice for her brother. “Where can I get the potion?!”
She was in his face, wand in hand, waiting for him to screw up. She needed nothing more than the potion. It  was more essential than air.
“L- Listen you don’t want to- to do this.” The shopkeeper shook in her presence and she couldn’t help it but to be amused after all the times he refused to take her seriously.
“You don’t know what I want,” She hissed, and held a wand up to his neck. “Where and how do I get it.”
“I- I have a map if you will let me get to it.” Wet marks began to form on his shirt, and sweat beaded at his forehead.
“Go get it.” She moved back enough for him to start moving, but never put her wand down.
He walked on shaking legs. It was a pity to see a grown man in such distraught. It was more of a pity for a boy not to see his teenage years.
“Here.” He said when he had found the map. “Take it and go.”
“I will.” She growled and tore it from his hands.
“It- it’s just-” He kept stuttering and she debated whether or not to kill him then and there.
“Just what!” The voice echoed through the small shop.
“The shadow men.” He whimpered.
“What about the shadow men?!” Every part of her shrunk to nothing and then grew back to fiery anger in a matter of seconds. For his own well being, this man needed to wrap things up. He was wasting her precious time, time that she could be using to bring her brother back.
“They protect it.” He stampered.
A finger raised from her fist, and he stood to his feet. Within a heartbeat, she had whipped the finger East and sent him flying through the window pane. A gust of wind flew through the room she now stood alone in, burying the sound of his screams. Potions and ingredients flew off their shelves, some creating reactions with each other in the process.
  If there was one thing that could set her back, one thing that could go wrong, the involvement of a shadow man was it. The shadow men had killed her brother, and were out to get her next. There was nothing that she feared more. The once splendid scenery of the potion shop was now in ruin. She did not care about the scene she had caused though. She could only fall to her knees in defeat.
“No,” She whimpered. “No.”
“What’s wrong Cordelia?” Her baby brother appeared sitting cross legged in the mess.
“Nothing honey.” She wiped a few tears away, and looked at the little boy she loved so much. He was her only reason for fighting. “I’m okay.”
“Don’t lie to me Cordelia” He said. It was his famous line.
“I’m just a little scared right now.” Her voice was barely audible. “Come here kiddo,”
He came and sat on her lap, the way he used to all the time. She wrapped her arms around him and rocked him back and forth. She leaned in to kiss his forehead, but he vanished into thin air.
“No!” She screamed.