Rain'sTears | Teen Ink

Rain'sTears

December 12, 2016
By ENWoods BRONZE, Providence, Rhode Island
ENWoods BRONZE, Providence, Rhode Island
4 articles 0 photos 9 comments

Long ago there lived a nymph named Rain. Her parents had been killed by Zeus because they had been protecting criminals. The girl had been taken in by her grandmother. Although the grandmother was a kind woman, she could never replace Rain’s parents. All Rain wanted was to get revenge on the Gods for killing her parents. It was her life’s goal. Her heart was consumed with hatred and anger for the Gods. When she was nineteen-years-old her grandmother died. She decided that it was time to carry out the plan to bring destruction to the Gods.
Zeus was enjoying a day in the gardens when he saw a beautiful young maiden who looked confused. He walked up to her and asked, “Can I help you?” Rain looked up, startled. “Uhhh… no,” she squealed. She looked up into his eyes and immediately fell under his spell. She instantly fell in love with the King of Gods. Hera found the girl with her husband and flipped out.
“How could you Zeus!!!” she cried out.
“Darling, it’s not like that,” whispered Zeus.
“You! You girl! I banish you from this kingdom forever!!!!”
“Hera-”
“Don’t you ‘Hera’ me, Zeus. She is banished.”
“Fine.”
Rain was banished to a prison that floated around the sky. Whenever she saw dark clouds, it reminded her of Zeus and of her dead parents, and she cried. She cried and cried until the clouds went away. We call her wet tears “rain,” giving honor to the young girl who never got her revenge.


The author's comments:

This is a myth about how rain came to be.