The veil opened. | Teen Ink

The veil opened.

By Locust56 BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
Locust56 BRONZE, Arlington, Texas

Cold, weary, and stolid, he trudged on in both action and personality. To him, the city markets were a freezing hive of warm bodies walking every which way. A slight scent of citrus broke through the assault of rotting meat onto his nostrils. Where am I? He gently pushed aside market buyers in a slow haze of confusion. Looking down at the tablet in his hands he reassured himself he was going in the right direction.
He broke through the crowd, leaving a dank odor in his mouth and began to look down at his tablet again. He saw a name and address: D’rayhe, and coordinates to some old building in his next area sector. The name ran through his mind for a second, “must be who I’m meeting,” the man muttered slowly to himself. Like he was making sure his identity wouldn’t try to flee him, if he actually knew his own name at the least.
After making vague, steps towards his destination, he heard the strong voice of a preacher and his unheard sermon boding to the empty, cold streets. The preacher had apparently caught sight of him to and began to make conversation. “Out on a cold night eh, stranger?” the preacher called out. The man retorted back a greeting and caught himself with a thought on his mind; He doesn’t know where he is and so asked the holy man, whose name was Ismael. “This planet is Erimitia, you can’t be a recent traveler here due to the war, are you?” Preacher Ismael asked. A click ran off in the man’s head. “ war?” He questioned. “Yes quite so, the Xenons blockaded the planet to cut off supplies from the Crians sever…” the preacher cut himself off just as He began to notice the man was stiff and clammy at the mention of Crians. Another click, scattered and distant. The man began his walk across the cold pavement of the slums again, despite the distancing and protesting questions of the preacher.
        The man began to think to himself again. Xar. What is that name? It came to him that it’s a possibility he’s D’rayhe, then that brings up the identity of Xar, again. Who am I? A thick fog clouded his mind, it’s too much work to think right now. I just need to move, I’ll figure things out then. Looking down at his tablet, he wasn’t too far away from the building, hopefully it will reveal something.
By then the rays of sunshine shone through the thick sheet of blackness like needles piercing the cloth of the heavens. Below the gray streets were lit a dim orange, overtaken by the powerful spread of daylight. A great shadow loomed over the man, a cloud of revelation to lift the haze of confusion. The building was right in front of him. He looked down at his tablet again, the light flashed onto his face: D’rayhe… and this old, run down building. Xar should be the man inside, the man tensed as he entered the building.
The door opened with a small creak, the door felt like it would powder and fall away in his hands. The room’s musky odor fit pleasingly well with the old dim light. In the corner of his eye he saw a splotch of red and a body to accompany it. Click. Xar was gone, no need to get any closer, he knew his fate but what was his path? “Oh hey D’rayhe, you shown up”. D’rayhe stiffened and made a startled look behind himself, a tall figure in green. CLICK. How did they find me so easily? The “Guy” pulled back his arm and released it, D’rayhe swiftly hit the rotted floor, deep in his own unconscious mind.

Not much to say about it