The Martian | Teen Ink

The Martian

October 14, 2016
By Janiya BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Janiya BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

As he woke up, he wondered here he was.
         Last thing he remembered was the warm soil of his home planet, Mars.
         He remembered the cold temperatures, the dry craters, and the dead volcanoes. But he didn’t remember how he ended up in a large, stinky, metal box.
         He stood up and breathed in the air. It was different from Mars’ air. He climbed out of the box with ease and read the dirty sign that said “Charlie’s Local Garbage Company”. He didn’t know what that meant. He could understand the language so he thought he must still be on Mars.
         He walked around, taking in his surroundings. The ground was hard and scraped at his bare feet. On Mars, the ground was so and gentle so you didn’t need shoes. But where he was now, it definitely wasn’t Mars.
         He tried to recall any memories he had. He remembered his name was Arias. Named after his planet’s Greek-formed God of war. Arias recalled his mother. Her pale skin, grey eyes, and her slender body. Arias remembered she had a heart of gold. His mother was the last person remembered before his mind blanked.
         Arias saw a woman walking who looked similar to him. The difference was she was fairly short. All Martians were very tall.
         “Excuse me?” He asked the woman. “Where am I?”
         The woman replied with, “New York City. Are you okay? Were you mugged? Its cold out here. Do you need a jacket?”
         “No, I’m fine. Where is New York City, exactly? Is it somewhere on Mars? I’ve never heard of it before,” Arias replied.
         “Um, excuse me?”
         “Yes. Am I still on Mars?”
         “No. You’re on Earth,” the woman said, then walked away, weirded by Arias.
         Earth. Just great. That is just great, he thought. How did he get there all the way from Mars? There were so many questions running through Arias’ empty head.
         Arias continued down the street and saw the humans inside cars, driving. He had never seen a car before today. He read books all about them, though. And he knew all about humans and Earth.
         Some Martians came to Earth. That’s where the information from.
         Arias knew he had to get home soon. He couldn’t breathe in this air for long. The atmosphere was too thick. Also it was also too hot here. Mars was always freezing cold. On a good day, it would be -10 degrees and everyone would enjoy the warmth. Here it seemed about 35 degrees and it was too warm for his body.
         He tried to remember anything that would be useful and help him get home but nothing came to him. Perfect, he thought. Arias felt himself getting weaker by the minute.
         He sat down an old, steel bench on the street and thought about his life. His short life. Arias was currently 20 and as young as a human baby.
          The humans live incredibly short lives, while Martians lived as long as sea turtles.
         Arias laid down on the bench. He felt himself getting weaker and weaker. His mind, swarming with thoughts. But one by one, the thoughts went away and darkness consumed him.


The author's comments:

The diiferent types of books that I read inspired me to write my story, The Martian.