Cancer snuck up on Hannah like a fox; it has been spreading rapidly, she knew it was only a matter of time before her suffering ended. The cause of her pain wasn’t the chemotherapy or the stiff hospital mattresses, it was seeing the disappointment in their faces when the cancer never got better and watching her parents struggle with medical bills. All she wanted was to see her parents happy again. Their lives would be so much easier without me in the way, she thought to herself.  That night Hannah prayed for the end to come. There was a gentle knock on her hospital door.  “Who is it?” She called out.
“Janitor. The nurses wanted me to clean your floors, they said they haven’t been clean in days.” This seemed reasonable to Hannah; it was true her floors did look a little dirty.
“Uh, okay. Come in.” The door screeched open, and the man wasn’t the usual janitor. He was tall and lean, he looked closer to death than Hannah did. She saw his name tag on the top right of his grey jumpsuit.  Grim. She read.  His name certainly fits his looks. She tried not to laugh as he struggled to pull out one of the mops from the bucket’s soapy water.
After five minutes of awkward silence Grim put the damp mop back in the bucket and turned towards Hannah. “I can help you, you know.”  She looked up at him, her brows furrowed. “I can take the pain away; I could make them forget. But there is a cost.”
“I am sorry— I don’t know what you mean,” she said  
“Come on Hannah, you know. I can take the pain away from you and your parents.” Hannah sat there just staring at him. Its not like I have anything to lose, she thought
“Okay. I’ll do anything you ask of me. Just promise me that my parents will have a happy life.” Hannah pleaded. Her heart hammered against her chest, not knowing if this was a good idea.
“I swear on my life.” A wicked grin crept across his face, he reached for the mop hand and pulled it out of the bucket. But it was no longer a mop, attached to the end was a long curved blade. Before Hannah could even scream, the blade came down on her only to leave a scratch on her upper arm but it burnt like wild fire. Colors drained away from her vision; everything was black and white now.
“What did you do to me?” she wailed. Hannah rocked back and forth, clutching her arm.
“You are not dead nor are you alive. You work for me now; you are a reaper. Your job is to collect souls of people who are ready to pass.” His voice was calm and steady.
“I want to go back!” Her eye filled up with hot stinging tears “Please let me go back.”
“Back to what? You don’t exist anymore not to anyone, and no person alive can see you. Its like you were never born, that is what you asked for.” Mucus was coming out of Hannah’s nose as she cried “You start tomorrow. Goodbye Hannah.” He wiggled his fingers at her that creepy grin plastered on his face, clouds of black and grey came out from under him and swarmed him. When the clouds vanished Hannah found herself alone.