The Magic Library | Teen Ink

The Magic Library

By Kamie GOLD, White House, Texas
Kamie GOLD, White House, Texas
18 articles 1 photo 1 comment

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams"- Eleanor Roosevelt
“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"-Eleanor Roosevelt
"Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn't be done"- Amelia Earhart

Once upon a time, there lived a young wizard named Merlin Locke. Merlin, with his magic, created a secret library away from the prying eyes of humans, greedy for power. Merlin kept all of his most powerful and magical items in this library. As Merlin got older, he wanted to give up all his power for love. So Merlin sealed up and buried his secret library in the Earth, then did a spell to remove his magic. Merlin thought it worked but what he did not know was that there was still magic in his blood. Merlin, then, found a woman named Emma Decker, fell in love, got married, and had a little girl named Scarlett Locke.
Every night before bed, Merlin would tell Scarlett about a magical library lost deep in the Earth that had the most powerful magical items in the world. When Scarlett grew up and had a kid of her own, she would tell her child the same story her father told her every night before bed. Since then, the bedtime story was told for generations, but only as a story. Each generation not knowing the secret magical library was real or their lost magical talents…. until today.
The mayor of a small town was a direct descent of Merlin Locke. The mayor’s name was Mr. Felix Dundo. Felix, for the first time in his family's’ history, had two kids named Amanda and Adona Dundo. Felix wanted to build a better town for his kids and he started by building a local library. Mayor Dundo named the Library: The Revolution Library. After the library was done, Felix took his kids there every weekend until Adona was 14 and Amanda was 15. On Adona’s fourteenth birthday, Felix let them go to the library alone.
When they got there, Adona noticed some strange glow coming from underneath the floor, so they decide to go to the basement. When they got to the basement, a tunnel just appeared on the wall. Adona wanted to go and check it out but Amanda said it could be dangerous but she followed her younger sister anyway to keep an eye on her. When they got the end of the tunnel, they saw a door with no handle. So the sisters tried to break down the door but couldn’t. They turn back towards the tunnel and were about to head back when the door started to glow! They run towards the door as it glows brighter!
When Adona touches the door, a stone with two handprints begin to glow, as she gently puts one hand on the rock, she gets her hand stuck and screams, and then tries to pull herself free. When Amanda tries to help her sister, the same thing happens to her. After a few seconds, the stone released them and the door opens. As the door opens, a "hologram" of Merlin appears in front of them.
Adona and Amanda were still standing outside the door, about to scream, when Merlin said,” My descendants, please do not fear me. I am your ancestor, Merlin Locke. Please come inside the library for protection.” Adona and Amanda were terrified but stepped inside anyway. Adona, after inside and back to her normal energetic self, asked,” How can you see us? You are just a recording. And what do you mean protection? Protection from what?” Merlin smiled and said,” My dear, Adona, so full of life, energy, and curiosity, but at times you rush into things with your head down. I see you have the gift of spirit and soul.” Adona, confused, looked at Amanda, who was sitting down reading a random book from this weird library.
Amanda looked back at Adona with the same confused look. Merlin, then, turned to Amanda and said,” Amanda, dear, you are compassionate, faithful and ready to learn new things but you are also shy and scared to try new things. You have the gift of knowledge and wisdom.” Amanda just sat there staring at Merlin, not saying a word. So Adona decided to say,” So Merlin, what is this... This place, anyway?” Merlin replied by saying,” Do you two know the bedtime story of the lost library?” Amanda spoke up,” No, it’s not possible. It’s just a story. There’s no way this is the lost magical library of Merlin the Magician. And there is no way you are really Merlin the Magician!” Merlin replied,” Amanda, you are wise because you know when to listen to your head…”, Merlin points to Amanda’s chest,” and when to listen to your heart. Think about it. You, too, were wondering where the glow was coming from. If you really didn’t want to come down here, you could have convinced Adona to stay up there.”
Amanda was speechless once again and Adona just stared at her then at Merlin. Merlin spoke,” Please, I don’t have much time. Both of you must give me your most treasured possessions. I know you have them with you because you never leave you bedrooms without them. Please, we must hurry!” Adona and Amanda looked at each, then at Merlin, then back at each other again. Amanda asked,”Why do you need them, Merlin?” Merlin replied,” So I can put a protection spell on each of them.” So with that being said, Adona and Amanda took off their necklaces and held them out to Merlin. Merlin waved his hands over them as he muttered some weird ancient language.
When he finished, Merlin told them to put the jewelry back on and never take them off unless they were in this library. When Adona asked,” Why never take them off anywhere but here, Merlin?” Merlin replied,” Because if you ever take them off anywhere else, then you are as good as dead.” Amanda and Adona looked confused and a little scared. Merlin said,” Here let me show you… Adona, think of two life-sized mannequins and Amanda, you think of two swords.” They were a little confused but did as they were told and as they thought about the things, the objects appeared in front of them.
Both sisters were shocked and then Merlin said,” Ok, Adona, please put your necklace on one of the mannequins…then go sit down.”  Adona put her necklace on one of the manikins, then Merlin used his magic to make mannequins look exactly like Adona. Then, Merlin said,” Amanda, please hand me those swords, then go sit next to your sister.” Amanda, hesitantly, did as she was told. As soon as Amanda was seated, Merlin said,” This is what would happen without your necklaces…” Merlin threw one of the swords at one of the mannequins, that looked like Adona, and then the mannequin, just like a real person, started bleeding then pretended to die. Adona, shocked, covered her eyes and cried. Amanda was trying to comfort her sister as she said,” What the heck? Did you really have to make it look exactly like her? You couldn’t just put similar clothes on the thing, like a normal person?” Merlin said,” I needed to show you girls the risk of taking off the jewelry…. Now watch what happens with the jewelry on…” When Merlin was done speaking, Adona was done crying and just sat there next to her angry sister. Merlin threw the other sword at the other mannequin but this time the sword didn’t even get within a foot of the mannequin.
As soon as Merlin was done with the demonstration, there was a pounding on the door. Merlin told the girls to take his hands, and once again they did as they were told. When they took Merlin's hands, their own hands started to burn and they struggled to hold on. After a few seconds, Merlin dropped their hands and told them,” You must leave quickly. Go to the door, think of the place you wish to go, and then step inside. But you must promise to return. I have much to discuss with you two, my young pupils.”
With that, Merlin vanished. The girls stared at their, still burning, hands and saw words engraved on them. The words said: L'obscurité disparaîtra dans la lumière puissante des soeurs légendaires. When Adona asked,” Hey, Amanda, what does it say?” Amanda replies,”It’s French for: The darkness will fade in the mighty light of the legendary sisters.” ” Are we the legendary sisters?” Adona asked as her eyes got all big with curiosity. ” I don’t know but let’s go home, Adona”, Amanda said as she stuck out her hand. Adona nodded her head in agreement and took Amanda’s hand.
They walked to the door, thought of their house, stepped through the door, and then the next thing they knew they were in their front hallway watching their parents get ready for dinner. Without even saying a word, they knew they couldn’t tell their parents what happened at the library, for their own protection.
The End?