The Creation | Teen Ink

The Creation

March 17, 2016
By thewarrior77 GOLD, Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
thewarrior77 GOLD, Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
19 articles 23 photos 40 comments

Favorite Quote:
“If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.” - C. S. Lewis


He was God and she was his creation. The squirming bundle of flesh, bones, and muscles enclosed in the incubator was living proof that he, Dr. Jean Dieu had done the impossible, unthinkable. His special little project hidden from the world had taken him years. Years of perfecting the science and art of bioprinting. He had used his state-of-the-art computer modeling system to meticulously map out her entire body, every bone, every muscle, every vessel, every neuron. Her small developed brain itself needed over a hundred billion neurons and trillions of synapses printed. All the material he had to grow, all the cells and tissue. It was hard to fathom that his wondrous creation had stemmed from a small quantity of cells. Cells whose origin brought him painful memories. They had been carefully preserved after the accident. Then it took over a year for Dieu to grow enough of them, he had waited patiently for the cells to cultivate and multiply into such massive quantities sufficient for his 3D printer.

He completed what society saw as sinful, immoral.  He was always told, "3D printing will never go that far". No one should take the place of God. God? In his world of science and logic, Dieu was God. And he created life. Throughout his career, he wasn’t never satisfied with the basic accomplishments of his field. While his colleagues had rejoiced in the printing of the first human heart, he had stood in the distance, yearning for greater.
He looked at the newspaper clippings taped to the walls. His rise to fame as France’s most acclaimed bioprinting scientist. His founding of BioPrint Inc. And then the accident. A drunk driver had costed him not only his wife but the miracle she had been carrying.

His eyes glistened as he peered through the glass. A recent visit from an old friend made him question his creation’s safety. If word got out...

He heard a tiny cough and gazed lovingly at his prize. He remembered the moment when she was finished, a fresh baked emblem of his ingenuity and expertise, a 3D printed work of art. Staring at the glass, brought back to mind the moment, when he had ejected that electrical pulse into her chest, jumpstarting her perfectly crafted heart. Her first breath took his own away.

Suddenly overwhelmed by an uncontrollable wave of passion, Dr. Dieu opened up the incubator and with the greatest amount of caution, lifted his creation into his arms.

“Hello, Eve.”

He had pondered her name, was almost tempted to call her Dolly. But no. She was not a clone. She was a creation.
Holding her so carefully in his arms shot so many questions into his mind. He noticed the slight grayish tint of skin, the weak beat of her heart. He would run tests later. For now, he nestled the child against his chest and stared into her brown eyes.

Hard knocks and bangs on the door. Muffled demands to open up, it’s the police.

He had anticipated his betrayal. He held Eve tightly, and maneuvered towards the back of his lab to a blank wall. He pressed his hand against a small crevice, his palm scanned. The wall hissed open revealing a secret passageway, along with a change of clothes and two suitcases.

The police smashed the door open, immediately dispersing into the basement. They searched everywhere but the lab was empty.

Two blocks away, a man in a black trenchcoat walked briskly down a busy city street, a small bundled infant tight in his arms. The man kissed the baby on the forehead and whispered three words into her beautiful printed ears.


The author's comments:

I wrote this short story inspired by the 3D printer. I wondered "what if one day we could 3D print humans?" and "would that even be legal?". I wanted to write a story with a unique perspective on such a raging product.