Nightwish | Teen Ink

Nightwish

By Inconspicuous GOLD, Olympia, Washington
Inconspicuous GOLD, Olympia, Washington

"LeedleLeedle"
-Patrick Star

One cries at the lies told by dead hope. Without a name, she wandered down the dim path, fog filling the space
around her. If she noticed, she didn't acknowledge it, for she was too busy crying. She had used to know these roads, but the familiarity had been stolen along with her name. She now refers to herself as 'Lost', for she knew she would never make it out of her forest. yes she thought to herself My forest. she twitched her lip up for a single moment in thinking she owned something at least. she couldn't tell if it was night or day.... Night... Day... it sounded familiar. Suddenly a face flashed through her mind but quickly passed. She abruptly stopped. Who was he? The area around him was so bright, as if his smile was the sun itself. Now that she thought about it, what was the sun? The forest never changed, no one but corpses of angels and dead trees could be seen.

She went over and sat down on a old tree stump, sitting there a moment to ponder what she had seen, however, she sat there for hours and couldn't recall what the face had looked like. Lost looked up. That was where she needed to go. Up was the was she felt she was tugged towards, as if her body was only an anchor.That was when she heard it, almost silent footsteps. she quickly leered towards her right, where she saw it slowly approach. She had forgotten this too, along with her name. It was a furry creature, and it held no color except for it's neon green eyes. She let it approach her, as she felt no need to be afraid. It sat next to her. she didn't hear anything in her head, but could rather sense what the creature was thinking.

It seemed the creature was a wolf, and a forgotten friend. Lost wondered what a friend was, and again, the face had flashed through her mind. The wolf told her to keep moving. That they weren't the only creatures left in this forest. One more had been here, the one who had slain the angels. The wolf referred to itself as 'final', for it too had had it's name stolen, but it had been able to retain some of it's memory of me and what had happened. Lost decided to ask about the face She had thought of, but Final knew nothing of it. They decided to keep moving, to stay away from the creature. As Lost started to move ahead, she thought to herself if it was even worth it, to stay alive, but she looked down at Final and decided she would stay here to keep the creature company. The black and White wolf seemed to know what she was thinking and told of it's memories. Lost was eager to hear them, to see if she could find anything out about what had happened.

Final had been a great warrior of the Tempest tribe of MistWolves, and partner to me, though she could not remember what my background or my real name was. The one who had stolen their names was the creature. They had also been partners with someone and their MistWolf, but they were gone now. Lost was a bit disappointed, but understood she couldn't change that. Instead, she said "We have to go up there, that is where My heart points." Final gave her a quizzical look and replied by saying 'then fly'. She looked down at Final in astonishment and asked "I don't think I heard you right" . 'what are you talking about, you have win... what?' Final stopped walking and looked at the ground. 'Something isn't right. in my memories, you had wings'. Lost looked behind herself and found nothing there. 'Let's just keep going... I am sorry for worrying you.' Lost bobbed her head in understanding and continued down the path.

They eventually came to a large stone in the ground the read ' A wish for rain will grant great pain to the world below, and in tow will come a creature of fear who will always be near.' Lost kneeled down and ran her hand over the stone, just before her hand shot sparks of yellow and orange. before Lost could pull her hand away, the sparks finished and left on her hand was an emblem... in color. the only color she had seen before this that she remembered was Final's eyes. when she turned around to look at the wolf she found the wolf was looking up in awe. Lost looked up too, just to find there were wings there! she looked back down at the rock, but it had disappeared, Lost was to speechless to say anything. The only thing that first came to mind was 'Let's fly'. she motioned to Final, who immediately came to her, as if instinctively knowing what was happening. she held the wolf securely and took off. She felt as if she had done this before. As they soared through the sky, Lost grinned. The Joy did not last long though before a sharp presence struck her conscious.

For a moment, her wings locked from surprise, which had actually saved her life, for a black and red being shot past her at that very moment. She felt real fear for the first time in this world, as if the creature was fear itself. the only thing that snapped her out of fear and... rage... was Final's thoughts. She immediately dodged to the right, as she was told by final, and once again kept her life as the creature shot by again. Follow your heart! voiced Final. That was and still is our destination! I'll guard! Lost trusted Final to do as she said, so she shot straight up. The creature followed and was gaining, but a flash of light from Final kept it at bay, if only for a few moments. The creature regained it's focus, angrier than ever. It flew straight up at them, full speed! Lost thought to herself I wish I could dream again, but she was already unconscious while she thought it. the momentum kept them going up enough that they hit the clouds.

The moisture on Lost's face awoke her, just before the momentum was lost. she looked down, waiting to see the creature appear at any moment, but it had stopped mid-air, as if not wanting to follow any further... as if afraid. Of course it was afraid! she was Night itself... night... Night! she remembered everything. The face from before was Day. She then noticed Final was asleep in her arms. Now she remembered she had fallen asleep for a few moments too. She felt a jab on her shoulder, and jumped back warily, only to see an angel... a comrade.

before she could say anything, she was embraced and felt tears on her shoulder, as she hovered there in shock. It was the face from her memories... Day. "Night, I thought you had died" he said as he squeezed her tightly. " I won't ever let you out of my sight again! Is Moon with you? What about Sun?" All his questions triggered memories of Final being Moon, a companion and Sun, being Day's. It was that moment Final woke. Lost sensed a piercing sadness emit from her friend. 'Sun is gone... She died before my eyes' Day let go of her for a moment, tears welling past the breaking point out of his eyes. "I won't leave you." was the only thing she said... the only thing she could say.

I wrote this for a contest on another website, so I thought I might submit it here x3