50 days into space | Teen Ink

50 days into space

February 3, 2016
By Jacobrose1618 BRONZE, Walla Walla, Washington
Jacobrose1618 BRONZE, Walla Walla, Washington
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Shawn Beckham:

A man in the control room tells me that I have 2 minutes till takeoff. I have been through the simulators a thousand times but now that I am about to actually go into space, I am experiencing some serious stomach aches, my hands are cold as the polar ice caps and my legs are shaking like a bartender mixing a drink. I vigorously rub my hands together and I gulp down all my spit till my mouth is as dry as a Ritz cracker. The man in the control room says, “One minute till takeoff Mr. Beckham. Are you alright?” I stop moving and calmly say,”Oh yeah, I’m fine.” I choke as I finish the last words. “Ok sir. Your assistant pilot will enter the c***pit.” “Assistant?”
Bob Schultz:
I strut past the control room and walk toward the massive supply spaceship. I don’t know why I am the assistant pilot because I’m Bob Schultz, the best astronaut NASA has ever had! This is an outrage. Whatever. I make my way to the long hall that connects the space station and the ship. I take in my surroundings. This station is surprisingly modern and techy despite it being an older station. Robots walk by with their monotone voices and stiff stride. Rookie astronauts walk around gaping at the massive ship. One whispers, “Oh that’s Bob Schultz, he kinda blows.” Pansy. I shake my head in disgust and walk through the hallway. This will be a long trip, for we are heading to the distant galaxy of Ragarnok, which will be a 4 month trip. Ugh. Good thing I brought comic books! I arrive at the gargantuan ship. “And I thought the Boeing 757 was big,” I thought. The automatic sliding door greets me with a, “Good day Mr. Schultz, the c***pit is down the hall.” Down the hall sounds like a cakewalk, but it took me 5 minutes. Darn ship. I walk into the c***pit. The pilot turns around. Wide eyed, I stare at his flimsy human shape. This is the pilot?! He looks like he just saw death walking across the runway! Probably scared. Newb. He quietly says, “Hi, I’m Shawn.” Hi? Is he a six year old?! I roll my eyes and plop down in the co-pilot seat. Even the co-pilot seat is worse than the pilot seat. This is going to be a long flight.
Shawn Beckham:
So this assitant thing? Not a good idea. I have a c***y co pilot who stares at me with fire glinting in his eyes. I’m creeped out! “30 seconds till takeoff.” I strap myself into my seat. I glance over at my partner who’s name I didn’t receive because he glared at me like I just pushed him down ten flights of stairs. He slouches in his seat, complaining about his back and how his seat blows hard core. He takes out his Calvin and Hobbes and starts to read. I shake my head and start the ship up. Its magnificent futuristic engine roars. Adrenaline flows through my body and I am pumped! 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1, Blast off! I press the boosters and we fly off the runway. We launch forward and slowly tilt toward the sky. “This is amazing!” I say. I glance over at my co-pilot who quietly mumbles, “Probably ran over death as he drove across the runway.” He looks at me and gives me a “What a chump” look. I look back at the clear, panoramic glass as we enter the vast emptiness of space. I see Venus and Mars  with their circular beauty. “This is why I became an astronaut,” I thought to myself. The ignorant co-pilot finally stops reading and lazily gazes up at the stars. This is beautiful. This will be the best journey of my life!
**************************************************************
This has been the best 50 days in my life! Now I know why space got its name! The co-pilot has opened up a bit and he gave me his name! That’s it though. His name is Bob Schultz. A imbecile or a cretin would be some good ways to describe him. Anyway, it is surprisingly comfortable in this hulking ship. Bob has wanted to fly this whole time, so I let him and relax in the bedrooms and explore the massive spacecraft. It has been 50 days and I haven’t even been to the other side of the ship yet. I walk down the long, futuristic hallway. Ominous beeps echo as I turn a corner.  I walk into a bedroom and I turn on the light. Right when I press the switch, sirens start to wail. Red lights on the roof spin in a clockwise formation. “What did I press!!!” I scream. Then the ship lurches forward. I fall down and smack my head on the bed. I slowly rise, my body moving back and forth as I stumble toward the c***pit, running into walls. I make my way to the c***pit and not as dizzy as I was before. I stare at Bob who was zealously clicking buttons.
“What’s going on?!” I shout.
“I would have fixed it if I knew!” He screams. He runs over to the projection device and then his eyes widen.
“What!” I ask worried.
“Uh oh,” He says. “I see the problem. Hehe. Uh we seem to be heading toward a black hole.”
A BLACK HOLE???! 
Bob Schultz:
The black hole that we are being forcefully sucked into actually makes this trip more exciting. I thought this trip was going to be a lousy, stodgy trip, but this gives a kick to the delivery. Unfortunately, it is only a matter of time before we are crushed into a billion pieces and this kind of ruins the excitement. As we try to find a way to escape the tenacious current of the black hole, we soon realize that there is no way we will be able to get this whale of a ship out of here. We franticly exit the c***pit and we dash down a hallway with no particular destination. Then, Shawn abruptly stops, spins around and screams right in my face, “THE ESCAPE PODS!”
“Ok chill bro. But the escape pods are on the other side of this massive spacecraft!”
“Well, let’s hope your hot pockets don’t decide to throw a party in your stomach because we need to run!”
Shawn Beckham:
Bob and I tear across the metal floors with extreme speed. I honestly have no stamina whatsoever, but since I am running for my life, I’m not all that beat. Anyway, we run down a corridor but then the fire sprinklers turn on and spray us. We keep running and Bob slips on the moist floor. He rolls on the floor yelling, “This time the Caution Wet Floor sign would have been useful!” I snicker, “True that” for a split second but then drop down to help the fallen comrade. I feel his legs for any sign of fracture. His ankle is bruised so he must of sprained it. I help him up but his leg wobbles and he is fragile. But he shakes his head and canters ahead. I’m glad we’re moving again but we are a lot slower than we were and I am getting worried that we won’t make it.
Bob  Schultz:
Though I am a fit human being, this sprained ankle really gives my speed some grief. I try to keep up, but before long, I was sweating like a pig and at least 50 ft behind. I knew that I shouldn’t make Shawn have to slow down for me. I feel something in my gut I have never felt before. I think it’s caring. I stop and Shawn turns around. “C’mon, Bob we need to move!” “I will find another way out of here. You keep moving toward the escape pods.” “But there isn’t another way,” Shawn shrieks. “I’ll find a way. Hey, I’m Bob Schultz, the best man to ever live!” Shawn smiles and runs down a hallway. Now, how can I escape?
Shawn Beckham:
I sprint toward the escape pods, occasionally stopping and wanting to go back to save Bob. But I stop that thought from sinking into my confused brain saying, “You must go ahead. It’s what Bob would want.” I run, thinking about how this is a wonderful start to my astronaut career, our ship getting pulled into a massive black hole. I peek through a window, but how can I see the darn thing when a black hole is so dark, it sucks up light? If it wasn’t for our thermal vision technology at NASA, Bob and I would have never seen that hole. I think deeply while I run and I got so into thought I almost crashed into the pod in front of me. I screech to a halt and open up the hatch. I crawl into the cramped pod and as I shut the hatch, I spot a mass speeding toward me. Is that… a bed?! On top of the bed, Bob Schultz speeds down the slippery floor on his king sized bed with pictures of him as the sheets.Typical. He hops of his bed like a superhero in a Marvel movie and slides in the pod next to me. “Close the hatch!” he hollers. I slam it down right as the bed topples on the pod. Bob clicks a couple of buttons and we’re off! We glance back at that mammoth ship as it vanishes into nothing. I scratch my head and we start head home. I lay back in my seat and heave a sigh. Man, I’m bored. I glance at Bob who reads his Calvin and Hobbes. Wait. How did he get those? I gape at him and he looks at he. He stares at me and smiles a devious smile. Odious fool. I turn around and gaze at stars. Then, it hits he. I widen my eyes and I jump off my seat. “How do we know how to get back?!” I scream. Bob stares at me and rolls his eyes. “Hey, I’m Bob Schultz. We’ll find a way.”