In the Dark of the Night | Teen Ink

In the Dark of the Night

November 16, 2015
By A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey
A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey
86 articles 11 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
-Emily Bronte

"A shadow is the most loyal friend."
-Amanda Marcus


 People fear what they do not understand. 
Fae understood that.  She was born as something nobody understood. 
Her parents raised her until she was 5 years old, then abandoned her in a park.  They were afraid of their own child, but Fae never blamed them.  She didn’t even fully understand herself.  There was one thing she understood, though.
She was a mutant, and that made her a monster.
Fae was born with wings, and if only judged by appearence, logic aside, they were beautiful.  They were speckled, light and dark browns coming together and melding together perfectly.  The thing is, beauty doesn’t cancel out the fear that came with the fact that she was human, if you could even call her that, and had wings.  Her instincts alone (heightened; supposedly due to her mutation) were a reason to fear her, along with her insatiable hunger which kept her, quite literally, always hunting for food.  She was different.  She was alone.  She didn’t understand herself.  She was alone in a world that might never understand.
After her parents left, she had learned how to live; she had to.  She bound her wings tightly in heavy ACE bandages, hiding them under baggy t-shirts and jackets.  She begged for food, and when times were tough, went as far as to pick from the garbage (making sure to hide the fact that she, a less than 100 pound girl, ate as much as a fully grown, 500 pound man).  She learned how to pick locks, hiding in empty houses for shelter.  She learned to fight in order to protect herself, and sometimes to be able to afford to buy food.  She stole clothes from stores when she needed to, because the little money she had went to food costs.  And when she was old enough, she got a job.  Fae even went as far as to teach herself how to read and write, even including basic math and science into her personal studies.
She babysat at night and worked in Mister Lennox’s Book Shoppe by day.  Fae was well liked by the clients she had, the customers, and Knox, the book shop’s owner.  The Cross family loved her, constantly paying her 3 times her rate and calling her at least 5 times a week to babysit.  Know, who was currently attending the local university, often offered her extra owers and pay for her work, even offering books free of charge on occasion.
It was nowhere near a perfect life, but Fae preferred it to her old life living alone, even if the Cross family and Knox might never know who she really was.
.+.+.
“Good morning Fae!  I swung by Evander’s and picked up the usual,” Knox shouted from the back of his store.  He shook his head rapidly, spraying the walls with the rainwater that had accumulated in the strands.  Knox listened closely for Fae as he trotted toward the front of the store.
“If you’re looking for the classics, try Bronte or Shakespeare.  I personally love Poe, but you look like you’d like a good drama,” Fae said to the girl standing in front of her, pointing out the freshly stocked shelves where the classics resided.  The girl walked away, winking flirtatiously at the 20-year-old store owner as he placed the latte and blueberry muffin in front of Fae.  “Took you long enough, Knox.  You have class in an hour and you need at least half of that to drive there!  Are you trying to drive me insane, boy?”
“First of all, I’m older than you by a year, so stop calling me boy.  And stop acting older!  Second of all, yes mom, I know.  Where did you put my backpack?”  Knox hugged Fae tightly, too used to her tensing to notice her do it again.  Fae stood absolutely still until the embrace was over, mind racing as she put on the same smile she did everyday.
“Office,” Fae said softly as a boy opened the door to the store, causing the chimes above the door to sing.  Something about him made Fae’s feathers shift in their binding, causing her to step back instinctively to hide behind the counter.  She paused before looking back at Know, fixing her smile, which had fallen slightly.  “Go!  You have to leave…  Like now!  I’ll see you for lunch.  Fae made a show of looking at the charm bracelet Knox had given her as if it were a watch.  Knox nodded, kissed her cheek before disappearing into the back, collecting his things and then leaving.  Fae had not forgotten the boy who now stood before her.  He cleared his throat roughly.
“Miss… Fae,” the boy rumbled, seeming to ‘subtly’ scent the air, something Fae often did.  The boy mumbled something about an alpha (whatever that was) and it being right.  Fae barely noticed that the boy’s eyes were a bit too blue to be natural.  “I, uh… was looking for some, um, romantic books for my, uh… friend.”
“Shelf 3A, sir,” Fae mumbled, slowly backing up as instinct demanded she do, watching carefully as the boy went over to the shelf, took out his phone, typed something, and lifted it to his ear, glancing up at her every once in a while, sniffing every time he looked back down.
“Alpha?  It’s Max.  You were right,” the boy said, Fae tried to hear the response, but even her heightened sense of hearing couldn’t pick it up for some reason.  “Tell Omega to do a search…  Yeah.  I’m gonna go now.  I’ll be back at 9.  Yeah.  Yeah.  Good.  Yeah.  Bye.”
“Fae watched as the boy hung up and took 8 books off of the shelf, 3 of which weren’t romances, and headed to the counter where she stood.  He payed in cash, all $98 of it, then left.  That was the last of the boy.  He didn’t come back and the day went on as planned.  At least, it did until that night at the empty, old Victorian house she was staying in.
.+.+.
When Fae arrived at the old Victorian, she was thoroughly exhausted.  Knox had gotten stuck in terrible traffic, then got an emergency call from a friend and didn’t end up getting back to her until 9 carrying takeout and looking extremely apologetic.  She was dead on her feet by the time she walked home, so she unbound her wings, slipped on a pair of shorts and a do-it-yourself wing-friendly tank top, and dropped onto the blankets that served as a bed.  She hadn’t even had the energy to notice the second and third presences in her home before her already fuzzy mind gave into sleep.
.+.+.
A boy sat on the window seat of the girl’s room, staring at her exposed wings.  He ignored his companion, completely in awe of his female counterpart.  He had seen another avian half-breed, had lived with her in fact, but this girl was different.
“Alpha,” a familiar female voice called to the boy.  “We have to get back.  Max and Sam were worried about your current state when we left.  I need to have you scanned and in bed ASAP.  I agree with them.  You can come back and deal with this situation when you are more levelheaded.”
“Omega, she’s just like me,” the boy whispered back in awe.  His facial expression changed quickly from serene to completely blank.  “Alright.  Let’s go.”
Omega nodded, opening the the window and jumping, followed by Alpha who snapped out a pair of pitch black wings, grabbing his partner and flying away.  Both were unaware that the girl had woken up and watched as they flew off, away into the night.
And once more, the girl was afraid.