Thinking Department | Teen Ink

Thinking Department

November 10, 2015
By Gideon GOLD, Harbeson, Delaware
Gideon GOLD, Harbeson, Delaware
10 articles 4 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Who can say if I've been changed for the better, but because I knew you I have been changed for good." -Wicked, Broadway


The bell rang. It was now 4th period, my least favorite; robotics. Personally, I preferred calculus, but robotics was required until 5th grade. As a 4th grader, I was almost there. What I would do to turn 10 early! "#387B, your right lateral hemisphere is activated; you are not focused. Please pay attention." said a dull, droning voice.
"387B, eat your food." my mother commanded. I was playing with my genetically engineered broccoli, but suddenly my watch beeped. On its smooth flat screen was a message: 387B, please report to Social Hall to receive your workstation assignment. This was strange. Workstations were given out when you turn 20, not to a 9-almost-10-year-old. "Mother!" I gasped. "I mean, parental unit A. I have been called to Social Hall to receive my workstation. Good-bye. I will take a belonging and leave." Mother stood up, and so did Father. I shook hands with both of them, then proceeded to my room. Looking around at my 5 personal belongings, I felt obligated to bring my Gaming Mod, but those were taken away at age 12. In the end, I chose my pet kitten, Matrix. Matrix was chosen to be my lifelong companion last year, and he would live as long as I. Still, if I grew tired of him, the Council would take Matrix back to be recycled. Matrix, of course, was the name I gave him. Presently, Matrix' leash was clipped to his blue collar. I grabbed the leash and set out for Social Hall.
“Good day, 387B.” the Head said. “Good day, Head Lady.” was my formal response. The Head and I were standing in the partially lit Social Hall, a big room with a stage at one end. “Your workstation is special, young one.” Started Head. “We have noticed your special talents and skills. Council is moving you to the Thinking Department.” I was confused. A Thinking Department? I had never heard of that! But before I voiced my confusion, Head explained. “Thinking is a top-secret department in which you will solve day-to-day problems within Town. But the most important contribution lies within your weekly blood… umm… donations. Since your free time will be extensive and to exercise your mental capability, learning about the history before Town will also be a priority.” Head took a breath and was about to continue when I interrupted.
“Before Town? But we were taught nothing was before Town! ‘Town has been, Town is, and Town will be.’ That is the Pledge.”
“I know the Pledge. But the simpler people within Town cannot comprehend something before our current state.”
“You are wise, Head.”
“Ahh, 387B. You have just demonstrated your capability to analyze a situation within a matter of seconds. Now, here are your rules.” Head handed me a slip of paper. “Read it in your dormitory. I will assign you a helper to get you used to the routine. Work hard.”

------------------------PART 2----------------------
“So, you’re telling me that you guys are going to give me a name? Not my usual number?” I was talking to a girl (my helper) about life here. Everyone else (1 girl, 3 boys) was in the gym, which the girl was pulled out of.
“Yeah. I’m so glad you came! Now there is an even number of girls and boys. Before it was only me, Maxine, Jordan, Pietro, and Quan Hu.”*
“So what’s your name?”
“Aria. I’m named that ‘cause I like to sing songs from famous operas on the way to blood extraction. That’s ‘cause blood x‘tractions really scary. And painful. I dread it.”
“Does everyone complain when you sing? Are you any good?”
“Well, I’ll just say that the boys like it, especially after learning about families and how babies are made/mother figures.”
"So, what is my name?"
" I have a pretty good idea, but first say something for me; water bottle."**
"Water bottle." What kind of test was that?
"Good. Just checking. Now, if you had an accent, I could call you Queenie. But you don't.  You have the complexion of a Latin Italian. We learned about them in school. Nice dark, shiny hair with no red or blonde highlights. Olive skin.  Dark, deep, almost Greek eyes. So I officially dub you... Latina!" I was surprised. Expecting something different, this new name would take some getting used to. But Aria would be there for me, so I guess I'll be okay.

*Here are the reasons behind the names:
• Maxine- she is a real tomboy, so they gave her a girl's name that was closely related to a boy’s.
• Jordan- he is the opposite of Maxine. Jordan is a girly (in the views of the other boys) boy, so they gave him a boy and girl name.
• Pietro- he his Mexican descent, so he was given a Mexican name
• Quan Hu- he is descended from Korean ancestors, so he has a Korean name

**Aria was checking to see if Latina was British. Any Brit with the slightest  accent would be detectable by saying the difficult phrase 'water bottle'.