Experiencing Betrayal | Teen Ink

Experiencing Betrayal

By jordylauv GOLD, Mifflintown, Pennsylvania
jordylauv GOLD, Mifflintown, Pennsylvania

"Stay gold."

Theyre coming for me. Ive tried everything that was possible. Changed my name, my appearance, and my personality.  Nothing can stop them from finding me, its impossible for me to hide from the hunters.

About six months back, my human boyfriend betrayed me. He turned out to be a hunter himself, and was luring me into their path. He's dead now. I had no choice but to kill him, he was a danger to me and my kind, which had been kept secret for years. At least in Maine, my home. Im something called a siren. I can lure men to me with my song to kill them. Its the first time i ever killed someone. The hunters are women, so  i cant kill them.

"This way, Iris!" Tegan, the girl i met a few months back after Chuck betrayed me, yelled in the distance.

The hunters were right on my tail, i wasnt running fast enough. My breathing was extremely husky and i couldnt run much longer.

The darts from their tranquilizer guns zoomed past me every few feet. Ive never seen these women face to face, but i would soon as i lay dying on the ground.

An idea emerged inside my head. Coincidently, we were in a very busy place, just in the dark alleys. If i sing to lure a man to me, they could distract the women, but that would also mean an innocent man would get hurt. I need to stop being so kind to people, im a siren.

My loud song emerged from my voice box, vibrating toward the closest man around. I could hear the hunters approaching closer. Jitteriness kept getting to me. Come on, come on.

Bingo. A tall man in his 40's, approached me. I gave him a kiss, almost barfing in his mouth. He walked toward the women. I heard shouts and screams, gunshots. Dont look back, Iris.

Tegan was at the corner of the alley waiting for me, rewrapping the bandage on her leg where a tranquilizer dart scraped across. Tears appeared to be streaming down her eyes.

"What's wrong?" I put my arm around her. She was two years younger than me, 14, and probably missing home. The moment her parents found out what she was, Tegan was a disgrace in her home. Her grandmother was killed for being a siren, the same situation we're in now.

"I cant do this anymore." She sniffled. "I might as well turn myself in, it'll be a better fate than what will happen to me right now."

"We made it this far, its now or never."

That encouraged her enough to follow me down the crowded streets. The storm clouds that were in the sky earlier, have faded. Thankfully, because we don't have any umbrellas, or a place to stay.

As we wrapped our arms around each other, thinking about what our future might bring and that we are nearly free, three sets of footsteps were behind us. A click of a gun.

"Iris, please you've been caught, its over. If you cooperate we wont have to tranquillize you or your friend." A lump formed in my throat as i recognized the voice, i am still turned away. My mother.

"Its your mother who has been hunting us this whole time?" Tegan screamed, hurting my ears. "You led me into a trap." I shook my head erratically.

"Mom what the hell is going on?"

"You never knew this about yourself, but you are the most powerful siren of your time. You've already killed two men, who knows how many in the future? We must rid you of these problems." Shes finally gone off the rocker. I've suspected it ever since I discovered what i was. My mother never wanted me to know.

"Please!" As I whipped around, shots fired. One in my stomach, and the other somewhere on Tegan. I gasped in terrible pain and hit the hard concrete.

Its over now, my life is over. My powers are gone and I'm locked away in something that looks like a mental facility. I don't know how they did it, but I'm here to die.

Your enemies can be closer than they appear.