Alien Invasion | Teen Ink

Alien Invasion

August 12, 2015
By Anonymous

                 Hello there. The name's Ellie Hoffman. I'm 19 years old. And right now, I'm a survivor. From what you might ask? Well, I'm going to answer that one later. But first thing first, I'm currently in a safe house with my family, hiding. I know what you guys are thinking, "But why would you live in a safe house?".

          Well, for one thing, this is the only safe haven that I know now, being in the apocalypse.

          It all started three years ago on a cold, dark and airy night. I was sleeping soundly on my bed, snoring because of the tiring day I had this morning. My long, black hair did not frame my face beautifully but instead, it looked a lot like a bird's nest. I hope that there won't be any birds that are going to mistake me for its nest and lay eggs on my hair. It's a good thing my bedroom window is closed. Well, I don't really care as long as I have my long, peaceful slumber...

          "Crash!" The crashing sound of a car, I assumed, made me jolt from my sleep with surprise.

          What was that?! Can't a girl just ask for one night without any disturbance?! I thought sleepily.

          And that was when I heard multiple high-pitched screams. Screams that are meant to ask for help.

          Being the curious person I am, I got up from my comfortable bed. With a groan and sleepy mind, I started to head towards my bedroom window. Although I was curious to see what had happened, I also felt a tinge of uneasiness in my stomach because I was scared to see what had happen to make the person scream for help.

          The moment I was just an inch away from my bedroom window, I looked out to see the situation while praying silently that it was just a normal car crash. The scene that was shown to me was quite... wrong from what I was hoping. Not to mention that my sleepiness was quickly replaced with a new feeling. A feeling of fear.

          It was a ruckus. Everything was out of control. A horde of people consisted of men, women and children was running hysterically from something, though I am not sure from what. Cars that were abandoned were ablaze with raging fire. After a while, I finally see what was scaring the people.

          At the far end of the road, I saw a few figures exiting out of a massive, Frisbee-shaped spaceship that was landed in the middle of the road.

          How did I NOT realize that spaceship earlier?! I thought to myself.

          The figures have something like a laser shooting gun and started to chase and shoot people that are not fast enough to run away from them. After seeing this horrifying scene, I quickly ran to my parents’ bedroom to wake them up. When I was greeted with an empty bedroom that was across mine, I had a mental breakdown.

          Where are they?! Why are they not in their bedroom?! Maybe they are outside? I thought. Then a terrible thought landed on me. What if they were shot by those... things and died?! Please let them be alive! I don't really know when but I realized that I had cried, scared that the thought I had might be true.

          When I was in the middle of my breakdown, I suddenly realize that the television downstairs was on. I was perplexed on why I keep on not realizing things straight away but decided to check out what was happening downstairs anyway. I took my father's baseball bat from my parents’ bedroom that was placed under their bed just in case if anything decided to attack me or anything. Hopefully nothing would like to do that. It also doesn't help that I'm still not fully recovered from my breakdown.

          With extreme stealth, I went down the stairs and tried to calm myself to be quiet. When I was halfway down the stairs, I heard a conversation between a woman and a man. The woman's voice was quivering, like she was on edge of crying. Then, I heard the sound of my house's main door closing.

          Even though I still haven't seen the face of the voice's owner, I could recognize that voice anywhere.

          With exceptional speed, I ran down the stairs as much as my tired legs allowed me, with the bat in my right hand, and hugged my mother who was sitting on the sofa while crying hysterically. My mom, who was sitting on the sofa, had a very confused expression portrayed on her face. She must think that her daughter is somewhat crazy, but I don't care as long that I know she is safe.?
           In between my cry, I asked her about my dad’s whereabouts, scared of the possible answer. She answered that he is going outside for a while to understand the situation and see if any of my neighbors are still in their house. After a while, she managed to comfort me and told me to watch the news with her.

          The news headlines read: AN INVASION? ALIEN DETECTED!

          The newsreader announced that an alien invasion is happening right at the moment we are watching the news. It all started in New York City, where the first sightings of the spaceship occurred. A witness told that he saw a spaceship shooting through the sky with blazing lights. Then, a big explosion happened in the middle of New York City, caused by the aliens that shoots everything they see including trees, animals, buildings and you guessed it, humans. The newsreader announced that military are doing all that they can do to help and rescue survivors.

          Well, I thought, it's a good thing I happen to be living RIGHT in the middle of New York. Why does it have to be me?!

          After the news ended, my mom asked me how I was feeling with this... invasion going on. I told her that I just want my family to be safe. My mom told me, with a quivering voice, that we all might not survive this. Before she ended up in tears, she hugged me and told me that she loved me so much and hope that we all get through all of this.

          After a while waiting for my father to get home, without a warning, he busted through the door while choking on air saying that all of our neighbors are not in their home. They probably have left their house the first chance they got. My father told us that there is a safe house nearby which is a big building where the military had fortified for the survivors of the invasion. He said that we are going to head there for safety. Before going there, he told us to bring necessary things like food or weapon that would be useful in danger zone just in case if anything goes wrong.

          I decided to change my pajamas first into a pink, long-sleeved T-shirt and a tracksuit so it will be easy if I have to run or escape from something. I don't want to be seen running around with my pajamas, even if it is near the apocalypse. I tied my hair into a ponytail and decided to go down to get some food from the fridge and my father's baseball bat. ?
          As I was on my way to the stairs, I decided to stop by at my parents' bedroom. My mom had changed her pajamas into a checkered shirt and jeans. She was collecting all of our documents that might be important such as birth certificate. My dad had changed his pajamas into a brown plain T-shirt and was taking a shotgun out from a case that was in his wardrobe. I was... shocked to see this. Never knew he had a shotgun.

          Still feeling a bit dazed, I continued to go down the stairs, thinking what might happen next. Are we going to be safe? What are happening to other people? Are other countries aware of the invasion? Worst of all, are humans able to withstand the invasion, or are we going to extinct like the mammoths? It was the most feared question I ever had. I'll just leave it unanswered, maybe one day, somebody would have an answer to it.

          When I arrived in the living room, I saw the bat was right at the place where I left it, which is in front of the television. As I was about to grab it, unfortunately, one of the aliens must have thought that my house is beautiful and decided to enter it because the next thing I knew, it is standing right in front of me.

          The aliens are pretty weird creatures. It had two big, round eyes, a massive head that is not suitable for its body which is small like a 4 years old kid. It is also short, maybe 3 feet tall. Its skin was wrinkly as on old man's and the alien didn't wear any clothes. Why?!

          When the alien saw me, it quickly aimed the laser gun that he had right at me and shot. Fortunately, I have quick reflexes and dodge out of the way in time. Right after that, I quickly regain my balance and hit the alien with the bat on the head when he was not expecting it. I must have attacked it pretty hard because green goo was oozing out of his head. I just assumed he is dead and was about to go upstairs when I saw my mom and dad standing at the base of the stairs with horrified expression. They asked me what happened and I told them everything from the start until finish.

          After they processed the information, my dad hugged me and told me that he was proud of his brave daughter and patted me on the head. Well, who could have guessed that would happen. We went through our house the last time and then we were gone to the outside world.

          The safe house was not so far from our house, so the journey to the safe house was pretty short but with the aliens running around like a maniac chasing humans, it made our journey challenging. We managed to arrive at the safe house without stumbling upon the aliens, but we had our moments when we were nearly caught.

          The safe house was pretty big; in my guess it could fit a thousand people in there. When we arrive in front of it, we quickly searched for an entrance and found one. It was one of the emergency exits for this building. My dad knocked on the door and a voice answered, asking who it is. My dad told him that we are survivors of the invasion and that we want to seek for safety in the building.

          After a few seconds, the door finally opened revealing a man who was one of our neighbors. My dad thanked him for letting us in and he welcomed us to relax for a bit in the safe house. The safe house was perfect since it was supplied with food, water and electricity. Nobody could have asked for more in an apocalypse world.

          A few months passed, until it has been three years since it all started. Rumors have it that other parts of the world were being invaded too but we can't be so sure. All we know for now is that it is still not safe outside for us to live. We have chores that we have to do to ensure we all survive. Humanity is losing towards the aliens that are invading the Earth. How long would it be until your city is invaded? Are you prepared if the time comes? Would humanity survive the invasion? It all is a mystery. Who knows, maybe it will be answered, one day.


The author's comments:

I was inspired to write this piece from a game that I saw a man was playing. The game was about an apocalyptic world that was being infected with zombies. It got me thinking, " What if the same thing happens but with a different creature like aliens?". It had really inspired me to write this entire piece and I'm really thankful to the person who made the game.