Flatbush Zomnies | Teen Ink

Flatbush Zomnies

By Jose Oshima BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
Jose Oshima BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois

A busy night in New York was nothing out of the ordinary. In fact, it was strange to hear silence in the moon-lit city, no vehicles were seen driving and even the homeless people were no where to be seen. It was on that night that it all began, but I don't like to talk about it much. My brothers do.

“Be home by 9!” I imagined hearing from my mother as I left the house. Simple things like that I miss the most, seems like these days we are alone even when we are together. I shrug those feelings off and continue my day, a split-second decision and suddenly I’m on my roof overlooking the city. My city, or at least it used to be, is now in turmoil. No trust. No love. No mercy. My relationship with my own brothers is sketchy, we barely talk and when we do it ends in one of us leaving with a black eye, their presence brings stress to those around. They seem to be the only ones who get a kick out of the new ways we are forced to inhabit. They were always dark in my eyes, I think they have tried to kill me a couple times but could never execute. My mother insisted on them having a big heart, which is ironic since they were the ones to kill her.

‘Bzzzz’ that must be Steeze hitting my phone up to link, might as well enjoy the night shouldn’t I? S***, he wants to meet up at the spot but at this time? F*** it I guess, Steeze was the only person I trusted so it set my mind at ease a bit. This apartment housing I grew up in makes me paranoid, at least that never changed, although I think I prefer the old kids who used to try to mug you. The walk through the deserted halls was depressing but the silence wraps around me like camouflage, protecting me from being a vulnerable target. The rugged floor squishes everytime I take a step, whether it's blood or water I don't know but the kids splash around during the day either way. Pushing through the front doors of the building, I inhale the rotten air we are left to live on, Coast is clear. I remember about the pistol i stole from the cops and still switch off the safety and c*** it. Makes me more assured of walking out, especially at night. It really is a beautiful night, most street lights didn't work but I could still see my shadow trailing me with despair about what lingered in the darkness with it. Steeze comes into view as I see the liquor store around the corner, it became our hangout after the owner got his head torn off.Already drinking a old bottle of jack we save for occasions, I was puzzled as to what news he had.  The air was getting dense with suspense, i noticed he had tears going down his face. Walking in i was greeted with darkness in his eyes filled with sorrow and grief that made the room seem rotten. I took a seat next to him and sighed,

“What is going on, steeze?” I asked,
My mom got bit,” he replied with anger in his voice.

And with that we stayed quiet until he got up and grabbed the calico we keep behind the counter. I did not ask what, where, or why, I just simply followed as he walked out the front. Grabbing the pistol, I knew we were heading to the subway to release some tension on his mind. Our footsteps left echoes as we raced down the stairs descending to what we considered hell, hell on earth was three blocks from us. We take a deep breath and turn the corner, four gunshots shook hell for a minute, and then it responded with hundreds of demons running at us with pure evil in their eyes and jaws, razor sharp like knives chasing you through the dark New York transit. It was intense. The situation was very intense. Steeze was busting bullet after bullet taking down a fraction of the monsters. They just coming, packing the platform as if it was rush hour back in the day. I did not know what the f*** steeze was doing standing in front of them as if he had chance, We were going to be over run but he did not seem to care, this was not the way we were going to die. He was fighting my reasoning with the excuse of his mother’s death, as if he owed it to her to take as many down before he himself departed from this s***-hole we call earth. Rotten flesh filled my nose, i gagged from the taste the smell left on my tongue. Thousands of screams echoed throughout the station and I had no choice but to put the gun to my head and threatened to kill myself leaving my death on his conscious. It was a cruel thing to do with his mother's death but I had no choice. To this he turned and gave me a look of misery that killed me inside a little. This city is full of death, whether it be physically, mentally, or emotionally. He conceded and we ran away leaving the hundreds of screams behind us.We were running and gunning, racing against the reaper who was begging to have two new souls since one was not enough for the day. I don’t stop till i get to the liquor store and looked back to see Steeze but he look sick. His eyes were bloodshot with cuts all down his body. He had a look of agony and pointed at his palms bitten up. I….. I was at lost for words and in a swift moment he had the calico under his chin. We knew it had to be done but it seemed as we would never ever get to this point. He had a couple seconds before he turned into one of them. The gun clicked but did not shoot, it was jammed. He looked at me with pity, I raised the pistol to his head and right before i killed two young innocent kids, my memories of what this world came to all rushed. Furious at the unfairness of life is, i killed my best friend and the little kid i was inside.

I wrote this on the quicks