An Unsolved Murder | Teen Ink

An Unsolved Murder

By Emerald01 ELITE, Charlotte, North Carolina
Emerald01 ELITE, Charlotte, North Carolina

"We are always feeling every emotion, but only a few are screaming."

My name is Chloe and a few years ago my friend Hannah disappeared. I am not exactly sure how. I think about it all the time, but it is all a blur. I have these nightmares every night about it, but then I wake up, and I can not remember anything. I am very busy right now and am under a lot of pressure. Being a 16 year old girl is really hard. I do a lot. I am the head cheerleader, lead in the school play, in student council, in debate club, on a Science Olympiad team, and I am President of my high school. My therapist says that I  do too much and am stressed and that is why I am feeling different and have flashbacks of the day Hannah disappeared, but then wake up and my mind is blank. I do not think that is it, but can not come up with a better theory.

My grades are slipping from underneath me. I used to have the highest grade average in my grade but now I have all Fs. I have no idea where my life has gone! My parents kicked me out because they could not deal with me so now I am living with my boyfriend Josh.  His mom is crazy and yells all the time. I have nowhere else to go though, so this is how it must be. I cry every single day. I had to stop seeing my therapist because my parents stopped paying for the sessions, and I do not have the money on my own. Sometimes, I wish I would just disappear and get out of this mess. My parents won’t even let me have the most important thing to me, my cat Coral. She curled up with me all the time and I love her so much but will never get to see her ever again. Why me? What did I do to deserve this?

Nobody understands me, not even Josh. He is a terrible boyfriend. It is like he does not even know I exist. He does not even talk to me. I would break up with him, but I need somewhere to live. This is my life now. I do not know where to go or what to do. I am depressed. I need help. I need to know what happened to Hannah. I need answers. I need my life back! I need a distraction. I need to be happy again. I have to get my grades up again. I need to get in to college. I have to have a job! That’s it, a job. I am 16. That is old enough to have a job. Wait a minute. I saw a job wanted sign somewhere, but where? Oh yeah I remember, at Crisps Ice Cream Shop. I biked over there and go in and talked to the manager.

“Hi,” I saId. “I saw that you had a job opening.”

He answered, “Yup, you can have it if you want it.”

He did not seem very nice, but I will take what I can get. It looked like I was the only one who worked there. Maybe the manager is so mean that everyone who works here just flies away home back to Mama. a few minutes later, I had my first customer. It looked to be about a nine-year-old-boy. He came in and ordered a Shark swirl. As soon as the kid said shark swirl a shiver came with in me and the word shark floated over and over in my brain. It was a voice screaming wait a minute that is not just any voice that is Hannah’s voice. I stood there frozen the kid rolled his eyes this time and said even louder this time. ”MY SHARK SWIRL NOW”And again the word shark rolled through me again and again. The boys face was red and angry and then powerful  words came out of that little boys mouth “I WILL NEVER EVER COME HERE EVERRRRRR AGAIN! And then he walked away slaming the door behind him. I was in shock my jaw hitting the floor what had just happen. I had no idea what this was or what had happened or why I can not even sell ice cream to a little boy. I mean a 6 year old could sell ice cream why couldn’t I? What made me so special,so different from everybody else .Why do I have to be different? Why am I still suffering from something that happened 3 years ago? Carma surly does not explain all this.I mean if this was happening to a cereal killer I would kind of understand but I have always tried to do the right thing.I have always tried to help others and make others feel at home and safe.

Right after the boy came I zoomed out of there.The manager was yelling at me but I did not even look back. I had to get out of there fast. I got home at Josh’s house and stared at myself in the mirror, trying to make sense of what just happened,and then all of the sudden this image pops up in the mirror. The picture is of a wave pool. What is this? Is this a sign of what happened to Hannah? My mind is blank. I am tired of thinking. I am tired of looking for clues. Why can’t this just be done. The police stopped looking,they are done. So shouldn’t I be done. I just want to get on with my life!  But something tells me that is not going to happen. I want my life back before all the drama I always smiled and hung out with friends like I used to. Those were the days.  I looked back at the mirror and a major shock clicked through my skin.  I started to hyperventilate. Then I had an idea that would help explain all this. When I was younger before all this happened I was very organized and kept a calendar about events and activities. Wherever I was Hannah was. So I look.In 2011,May 6 the day Hannah disappeared I was at Great Wolf Lodge with Hannah. Wait Great Wolf-wave pool. Maybe I was there the day Hannah disappeared. Maybe this is my connection to Hannaah’s disappearance. I sigh and then crawl in to bed and go to sleep. I wake up that morning to these loud voices screaming in my brain. GREAT WOLF GO IF YOU WANT THIS TO END. This is terrifying what does this mean. Could this of been what happend to Hannah am I next? Should I listen to the voices? Is this a set up. I decide to go but where am I going to get the money? Great wolf is expensive. Unlessss…………..That is it!  I jump out of bed,throw on some clothes,grab a scone,and are out the door. I bike over to my parents house with a master plan!  I will tell them that I am so sorry and want to make up with a trip to Great Wolf Lodge. I am debating in my head if this will work but knowing my parents I am guessing it might.I get to there house and knock on the door. My dad opens the door he glances at me with a surprised look on his face and then he falls to the ground! I scream and my mom comes sprinting downstairs and runs to the door way and then looks at me and then at my dad and then back at me her face lights up and she says in a cheerful voice “Well guess we will not have to deal with him anymore Chloe I think that your father may have had a heart attack”.Then she invited me in for tea.”So now that your father is gone any vacation place you want to go anywhere you want.My jaw was starting to hurt from all the gasping I was doing.I was in shock but I had to say something so all I said was how are we going to pay for it?Well the money I earn and we inherit your dads money so really anywhere”.I can not believe this happened and why is my mom so happy.She is staring a deep stare at me waiting for me to say something.I think this is awful but I do not know what to do so I say Great Wolf.My mom got us a reservation for tonight because she used her great acting skills and pretend cried on the phone saying that her husband had recently died and that her and I had to have a get away.They did not even make us pay.So we are now in the car after my mom packing 4 full suitcases,2 duffels,and three backpacks just for 2 nights at Great Wolf for just the two of us.A couple of hours go by and then we get there we get checked in to are room and then change to our bathing suits.Then we head down there.I do not know where to go.I leave my mom and wander around.Then with out me controlling it at all or anything my hand rises from my side in to the air and then my body turns,my hand changes to a fist and then my pointer finger extends so I am pointing towards the wave pool.I stand there in dis belief,trying to make sense of everything.Then all of the sudden I feel something on my back something like a push.Next thing I know I am in the air.I land in something soft something like the wave pool! Wait a minute though I do not remember the wave pool being like this but I feel waves.Hold on,I am in a wave pool but underwater! I stand up and breathe and look around everybody seems so normal,but I swear I was in the air flying.So they would have seen it.Unless I turned invisible as soon as I left my mom.I test my theory.I bumped in to this girl really hard she screams and turns around and says to her friends “Someone just bumped in to me and now they are gone.” I do this to some more people who all have the same exact response.Chloe Johnson has turned invisible.
I look around in panic and surprise.I look in all directions over and over and over again and then I see it.My heart stops.This girl who looks almost idenical to Hannah just went underwater.I stared over there not even blinking.As the day went on and I stayed there staring people began to decrease and decrease.I woke up the next morning with a bunch of people crowded around me.I stood up immediately.I was in the wave pool!! Had I slept here all night?I thought that they closed the pool.Did I miss that girl come up? Or did she not come up.Oh well.I start to come out of the pool.When all of the sudden in the exact same spot I see the same girl as before who looks exactly like Hannah go underwater again but this time there is a shadow behind her that goes down with her.This time I dive over to where the girl was except they were both gone.The floor felt a little different in that one spot then it did in other parts of the pool.I tried to check it out but I got swept up from the waves.I tried again and again but the waves just kept coming and sweeping me up and away from where I wanted to go.The next day I go back to the wave pool very first thing.I see what I saw before.The girl,the shadow exept now the shadow is 100 percent clearer.I am stunned out of my body.There was a shark behind the girl.Then suddenly my eyes changed from staring at what looked like to be a shark to the girl.Then I think I see the girl wearing the necklace I gave Hannah for her birthday.Boy did she love that necklace.Wait a minute we were here when she disappeared,the girl looks exactly like Hannah,she is wearing Hannah’s necklace.Then it hit me the girl I was staring at was Hannah.I spin around and close my eyes.I look back at where they were expecting them to have disappeared.To my surprise they are still there and they keep popping up and do it again and again.I dive over there and when I get over there they are gone.I stand there in dis belief.I felt the difference in the floor again.How it was different from one spot to the other.So I take a deep breath and then I am under water.I go to the very bottom of the pool and feel around in that one spot.I am so frustrated I pound on the ground and that is when I realize there is a secret door.The door opened. I got scared and tried to swim away but there was this force pulling me in.Next thing I know there are fish,sharks,eals,and a family of whales surrounded around me.Where was I?OH NO.I knew where I was.I was in the ocean.The secret door must lead here.I try to find a way out.I have no luck though and so I swim my way around terrified.I stop dead in my tracks for what I just saw.I see Hannah in a cage with sharp fierce sharks by her side.How is this going to work.I can not even breathe underwater.Next thing I know this big man floats graceful down to Hannah.The man had a long vanilla colored caped draped around his shoulders,and white long hair he looks so graceful like a mermaid I look down at the .mans feet.Oh my gosh!He did not have any feet instead it was a long green tail.OH MY he was a mermaid.I swim over to Hannah forgetting about the sharks.She has a tail to!The weird thing is nobody seems like they can see me.Am I still invisible just like I was in the wave pool.I pound on the sharks back.He jerks around with his sharp teeth exposed,fire in his eyes but then he turns back around not even knowing I was there.Right after that though he turned right back around and started sniffing. I swam back uncontrollably fast.I may not know a lot about sharks but one thing I do know is that they have excellent smelling.He sniffs his way over to where I am now.Wait a second.Ha emergency perfume.I take out my lavender perfume and spray it all over the ocean and directly in to the sharks big goggly eyes.He falls down and down to the very bottom of the ocean injured.There were two sharks guarding Hannah I got rid of one but now I have to get rid of the other one as I am thinking I lean back and my leg scrapes the coral.I start to bleed and that is when the shark goes nuts.He starts swimming around around in fast circles.Knocking people down and glowing his awful teeth.Then these big tall sals come and take him somewhere.I skate over to Hannah.I yell Hannah and she replays with a simple soft “Who is talking to me Chloe is that you”How did you know it was me I ask.She replies “You know all those signs you have been getting.I say yea.”Those were from me.I am half mermaid half human at night I turn to a mermaid and during the day I am a human.I didn't like being a mermaid and so I told the king and he got mad.He sent a shark after me in the wave pool.There is this pill.The mermaid pill which turns you to a mermaid and then a human pill which turns you to a mermaid.Once they captured me they gave me the mermaid pill.I need you to get me the human pill.You will have many obstacles.I think you can do it though.Here is a map.Go up Golden Leaf Coral.Good luck.”I blink and then in the flash of an eyelid she is gone.I look down at the map and swim all over the place.It feels like I have been searching for hours and then out of the corner of my eye I see it.A long Gold path with a sign that says “Welcome to Goldon Leaf Coral.I look at the map and swim in.All of the sudden the hugest waves I have ever seen swallow me up I swim out of there it is impossible to get through.I have to do it though.I must have a plan.I look around looking for something.I see a piece of cardboard and have an amazing idea.I will surf through it.Me and Hannah always used to surf the ocean waves.So I swim in and jump on to my surf board.It was like a wave pool in the ocean.Then it ends but I hold on to the board just in case.I move on and keep swimming I find this cave.I go through.I swim through it seems like I am swimming forever but at least I am not having any trouble.It was at that moment when something pulled me and then another.I knew what these were they were roses tangling me.I do not know what to do.I manage to get my arm untangled an slap it on one of the roses.It lets go of me.My arm really hurts now because I slammed it against thorns but it is how I will escape.I get all untangled and are on my way.Then I come across these geysers.I counted how many seconds there were before they go off again.I count 3 seconds to get across.I sprain across and then stop and keep doing this with all 100 geysers.I keep swimming until I hit my head on this big pill.The pill.I found it!There were two very big pills on the wall I tap the human pill and a small pill falls to my hand.I go out the doors behind the the pill vending machine like thing.I see Hannah and sprint swim over there.I am about half way there when the king stands in my way and grabs the pill away from me I punch him and get the pill.The king makes this cyclone around me I see Hannah in the corner of my eye since there is heavy wind circling me.I toss it to her and it went straight in her mouth.The stops the cyclone to watch as Hannah’s mermaid tale magically turns to feet.The king starts to shout in anger.

King:I need you.

Hannah:Why?

King:You belong with us.

Hannah:You treated me horribly and I even know why you did it.

King:Why?

Hannah:Without me you do not have any powers.

King;What makes so much more special then anyone else?

Hannah:I am your daughter.Whats up dad.

King:Get out of here! Guards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Next thing I know the same sharks as before have us by are shirts.I close my eyes.I open them again to a bunch of people with Hannah standing in front of me smiling.I knew where I was.I was back in that wave pool.Maybe life will get better for now on.I found out what happened to Hannah and I have my bestie back