A Gem For Two | Teen Ink

A Gem For Two

By psychedelic.huskii SILVER, Chelmsford, Massachusetts
psychedelic.huskii SILVER, Chelmsford, Massachusetts

"The Fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars / But in ourselves, that we are underlings."
~ Caius Cassius, 1.2.147-8 (Julius Caesar)

Immortals. Humans call them vampires. They have fangs that can slide out from their positions as canine teeth. They don't sleep or eat, and they feed on human blood. They have rumors that circle, like humans. One rumor tells of a deadly assassin that kills criminals so the common Immortals can live safely. 

Chapter 1: Chapter One

When asked her age, she automatically answered seventeen. Or she would have, if anyone had bothered asking. Being Immortal left her few friends. Most of her time was spent lounging in the darkest corner of the pub, hood up and covering her face. hen again, she didn't have much else to do. Her diet didn't include anything on the menu, and she didn't need sleep. Besides, she had a duty to guard this pub from danger of all sorts.

"Fire up the band, ill ya?" A drunkard snarled.

"Shut the hell up, ya sneaky drunk." The bartender SNAPPED back.

The man turned back to his friends, grumbling something that she didn't want to hear. All of a sudden, the entire pub went deathly still as a fist pounded the door.

"Inspection, open up!"

There came another loud knock on the door and everyone, including the stout Irish bartender, froze in place, some in the middle of eating. The hooded girl stiffened. it was much too early for inspection, and the inspectors in this area of Ireland weren't that rough. Or rude. Either way, it was better that she get outside to deal with this mess than stay in the pub with all of the tables in the way. She reached out with one hand, the emerald studded ring flashing briefly. The wall beside her melted, and she slipped through, closing it back up afterwards.

"Let go. Before I hurt you."

The young Immortal froze in her tracks, her head SNAPPING to the front door of the pub. That voice was her most trusted companion Alric, who she hadn't seen in over a decade. She crept towards the group lingering around the front porch, listening closely. If they took his ring, Alric would disintegrate immediately.

"Look for valuables, quickly."

"I found a ring, boss."

Her stomach dropped, and before she knew what she was doing, she leapt at the one who had just spoken. Releasing her fangs from their positions as human teeth, she sliced the artery in the man's neck. Moments later, his companions followed before they had even realized one of them was dead. A figure, also cloaked, stood up in front of her, a flash of white teeth betraying his smile.

"Rosalind, nice to see you."

"Alric!"

She ran to him, sighing happily. they embraced quickly, then slipped back into the bar. Unfortunately, the bartender noticed them without realizing who they were.

"Hey, where do you two think you're going?"

Rosalind paused, lifting a hand to throw back her hood. He long, wavy brown hair tumbled over her shoulders, and her ocean blue eyes shimmered with amusement.

"That's how you treat me for saving you from inspection, Baldy?"

"Don't abuse your right to call me that, you little demon." He laughed

"Fine, fine. Neil." Rosalind smirked.

Neil, contrary to his ordinary bartender appearance, was another Immortal here. In fact, this pub was one of the safehouses for Immortals, and a common gathering place for Immortals who needed to talk to someone, catch up, or even hide. This pub, in fact, was the least frequented by the enemies of Immortals for that very reason. Neil was their check in point, Rosalind their protection.. Rosalind was one of the most powerful Immortals who wielded an Emerald ring, and one of the most powerful women. A thick gold ring gave away the fact that Neil wore his Topaz status proudly, and Alric, being less of a showy type, has a thinner steel band with a sapphire set in it.

"Alright, alright. Go hang in the back."

Neil grumbled good naturedly, but returned to cleaning wine glasses. He wasn't one for excitement or adventure, so his job suited him just fine. The door swung open on intentionally creaky hinges, admitting a few more human customers, but no inspection officers or imposters. Alric and Rosalind crept quietly to the back. She settled in at her usual seat, Alric taking the other.

"So how'd you end up with them?"

"I didn't. They caught me by surprise."

"You? By surprise? And here I thought you were an actual Immortal."

"I wasn't sure if they had help coming. And I forgot Neil ran this place."

"Lazy." She scoffed.

"You got me." Alric chuckled.

"Of course I did."

Her hood flipped back in the breeze as the door creaked open once more. When she yanked it back down over her face, an odor hit her like a brick wall, immediately identifying the newest visitor to the Double Rainbow Pub.

"Oh, not him again." The two of them sighed.

A small scrawny boy strutted through the door, glancing through half lidded eyes at the other people in the pub. His entire presence exuded an air of extreme self satisfaction, raising a few eyebrows in his direction. This was one of the Immortals Rosalind extremely disliked. He also happened to be of the same gemstone as she, which further agitated their relations.

"This place is a dump."

He sniffed haughtily, walking down the center of the small room, and would have gone all the way to the back, had two cloaked figures not stopped him in his tracks. The young man chuckled, folding his arms and nodded, sighing.

"You two. We meet again."

"Jacobin." Rosalind purred.

"Why don't you two mosey on out? I got this mess you call a pub handled."

"Actually, why don't you leave? I think that sounds much better." Alric grinned.

"I would, but it seems I have a few weeds to get rid of."

"Funny, because we were making sure our garden was weed-free."

"Oh, is that right?"

"Now, little boys need sleep, so why don't you head on home to your mother."

"Take a shower too." Alric narrowed his eyes.

"Or maybe have mummy put some nice smelling lotion on you."

"Oh, save the little kid talk."

As the three of them traded off insults, Alric and Rosalind gradually forced Jacobin back to the front of the pub, nearly backing him into the bar counter. He sneered, but less haughty than before. Jacobin knew he was being beaten at his own game, and yet he still fought to the end.

"I will call my army on you."

"You will do no such thing. Now be a good boy and go home."

Rosalind cackled and flashed her ring at him.

"Or I'll send the puppies on you."

"I'm not scared of them."

Jacobin folded his own skinny arms, turning his chin up. As Rosalind smiled wickedly, she had to admire his bravery just a bit. But only a bit. Jacobin raised an eyebrow. Suddenly, time seemed to slow down and shimmer, and Rosalind whistled towards the door.

"Here boys!"