Silent Moments | Teen Ink

Silent Moments

By Aobrien BRONZE, Canyon Lake, Texas
Aobrien BRONZE, Canyon Lake, Texas

"A prison becomes a home once you have a key."

The ocean did not not sway it's usual pattern on this day. It was still for the most part, with the occasional movement of the small tides hitting the shore. The wind mimicked the oceans odd behavior, feeling a breeze every once in a while sending shivers down every vertebrate of my spine. My silky brunette hair remained pinned back abiding by the rules that were set in motion long ago with many other laws to follow.
I closed my eyes inhaling the salty yet calming aroma from the ocean. When I opened them I looked beyond the horizon at the island that felt centuries away from me. I longed for freedom. If only I could just jump into the ocean and swim miles and miles from this destructive place. But I'd probably die before I reached the island. First I would  become dehydrated, then fatigue and weakness would take over my body, and the shortly after I'd either drown or die of starvation and dehydration. No, freedom was much to far away. People have died trying to escape. I mean I hadn't seen it, but someone must have.
Where I was from there was no escaping. My home, which wasn't really a home, everything was determined for you. Your future was seen and at the age of fifteen they give you a book. A book of events taken place in the past, and events that will soon take place in your life. It's the future, the future is inevitable, and there was no avoiding or changing the inevitable.
You had the option of reading the book, everyone did, but it was one of the few things you could choose. However, there was a law stating you couldn't rid of it. Those who chose to not read it would end up storing it on a shelf. There it would sit and tempt you until it was eventually opened.
And here I sat, feeling the exterior of the book that laid in my lap, contemplating all my options. Today I, Constance Madeline Walker, turned fifteen.
I was summoned into the head master's office before dawn, there I waited until eventually I was led down several hallways and into a mysterious room. The walls were dark with no windows to let in a natural light like most rooms had. This one was uncanny. A peculiar figure appeared before me with a black robe to hide their face. A pair of wrinkled hands handed me a book and with a shaky voice said, “You are not to tell anyone of the words written on these pages. If you do, you know what will happen.” Then just as fast as I came about the room I was gone.
I was told most people when getting their book prefer to be alone. “They go to their happy place to let the words sink in. Usually for only an hour or two and then they’re back to reality,” My mom had told me.
The sun was now setting. Yellow, orange, and even pink, filled the sky just above the crystal blue water. I had gone out here the minute it was placed into my hands, and it still remained unopened. Many questions had piled up in my head. What if the book didn't portray our future, it was only a conspiracy by the government which gave us specific directions on how to live our life. Because lets face it, where I lived, this was a great possibility. Maybe the events of my life weren’t even in the book and what really lied on the thin pages were secrets and other things. Then there was the chance that within the pages really did rest my destiny, and that thought terrified me. But if everything is somewhat determined for us (spouse, name of children, housing, job) then is it even much of a future after all?
Did I really want to know where  I was going to live, what job I was going to be assigned to, who I'd marry, how many kids I'd receive and what there names would be, and all the defining moments that would make me the person I'd be for the rest of my life, and even how I'd die.
I ran my fingers across the metallic words that spelled out my name and took in a deep breath of the calming ocean breeze. I inhaled the scent once more before standing up. I gazed upon the book before pulling my arm back and chucking the thing as far as possible. A loud splash was heard as it sunk to the bottom of the ocean. I couldn't help but smirk at my actions. It was against the rules to discard your book, but it was time for a change. 

Silent Memories is a short stroy about a society with strict laws in which the people must follow. I wrote this for a creative writing class and with it I didn't want to give to much so that the readers were left with unanswered questions and wanting to read the rest of the story.