The Border Between Us | Teen Ink

The Border Between Us

January 14, 2009
By Anonymous

I didn't know...then. I thought I was human! I really believed it, until my parents sat me down one day.
"We need to talk with you..." My mother told me.
"I didn't do anything! I really didn't! I've been doing good at school, I haven't broke any rules-"
"No, this isn't about rules or school. We need to tell you about...you..." Dad said. I sat on the edge of my seat, waiting to hear what they were talking about.
"You aren't human..." Mom said. I made a face that they noticed.
"You are a succubus, or a fallen angel. Now, they're mostly known as Deamons."
"I'm no Demon! I don't worship the devil!"
"Not that kind!" Dad yelled. "Didn't you hear your mother? Fallen angel!!" I settled into my chair and crossed my arms.
"Your Demon name is Kiarow. You were born in Nagasaki thousands of years ago. When an evil Demon came, he tried to kill you, so your brother, Itago, brought you here. The real Olivia is in the place known as The Demon World. You don't remember because they brought you here as a baby. You couldn't remember!" I looked around. I couldn't believe what I had just heard. I got up and ran to my room. I couldn't look at my "parents" for the rest of the day.

I sat alone on a bench at school. I had plenty of friends, but I didn't feel like talking to them. I was afraid I'd kill them. Earlier in the morning, Mom had told me I was a Wolf Demon. I started remembering how sad I was, so I tried to focus on other subjects. I saw Cyle walking to me.
"Hi!" He said. I watched him sit down next to me.
"Hi." I replied.
"What's up?" I looked at him. His face was serious, which was a difference.
"Nothing...nothing." I said. I started thinking. I secretly liked Cyle, but if I was a Demon, I didn't think I would ever date him. I felt like crying.
"I have to go." I said. I picked up my things and ran into the hulking school.

I sat by myself at lunch until Cyle came up. He sat his tray down and tossed his apple and orange on my plate.
"They aren't my favorite." He said. I picked the two fruits up and tossed them in the trash can.
"What's wrong?" He asked. "You seem really sad."
"I...can't tell you...It's complicated." He looked over at the lunch line.
"Are you sick?"
"NO!! I'M NOT HUMAN!!" I almost yelled at him. His eyes widended. "And for the past few months I've secretly liked you but now that I know about this, I might kill you!!" He slid in closer.
"Seriously?"
"Yes!" He looked down at his plate.
"That's not what I expected you to say." He gt up and walked away. I was about to get up when someone came up behind me.
"I'm Itago. We couldn't have been together." I turned around to see Cyle standing there. I sat back down. He kept standing. "I wouldn't have wanted to go out with you anyway. We can't. But, the evil Demon, Hishagi, was killed last year. I couldn't tell you until after you were told about the whole Demon thing! We can go back now!"
"I can't." He sat down next to me. I could tell he was confused. I got up and walked outside. Outside to the Human World, where I will always stay...