The Slide | Teen Ink

The Slide

By Soap_Box_Preacher GOLD, Naperville, Illinois
Soap_Box_Preacher GOLD, Naperville, Illinois

Locking yourself up with such things, letting them stir, using these pure psychic creations as raw material, and deciding, each time, how much or little you’re going to participate in your own act of creation, just what you’ll stake, what are the odds, just how far are you going to go – that’s called being a writer. And you do it alone in a room.

Another kid had been swallowed.
His inner tube, that was now drifting slowly in the pool, was the only sign of his existence. His parents waited at the end, but their son was long gone. He was just another victim of the kid-eating-waterslide. Many tried to make it out alive, but far few succeeded.
As a kid, I was terrified of almost everything. I was afraid of bugs. I was afraid of water. Black pepper was especially frightening. I don’t know what gave me the audacity to challenge The Slide. I had never challenged anything in my short 8 years on the Earth; I was too scared to.
I was near the front of the line. The stairs were damp with the salty, August pool water and sweat. In this moment, I was also challenging my fear of heights. The entrance to The Slide was in the clouds. As a plane passed over, it narrowly missed a kid with a mohawk. I’m pretty sure a guy with no legs could walk faster than the line was moving.
Waiting for my turn, I ignored my inhibitions and looked down.
Another kid was had been overtaken by The Slide.
I continued my trek to the top. There was only one person in front of me. She swallowed hard. The girl hesitantly sat down in the middle of her inner tube, closed her eyes, and started her ascent. I could hear her banshee-like screams. They echoed tremendously off the walls of The Slide. But then, the screams stopped. Just like that. The Slide had conquered yet another kid.
I wanted to go back. I wanted to march myself down the sweaty steps and away from the slide. I was done. The Slide’s next victim was not going to be me.
No.
I had already come this far. I wasn’t going to let my irrational fears stray me from my purpose. I didn’t want to be scared anymore.
My newfound confidence and I hopped into the inner tube. I was ready to go. The overly sunburned, brain dead teenager who was managing The Slide gave me a look that said ‘are you sure?’. I was sure.
I pushed off and in seconds the rushing water, threatened to overturn my tube. I gripped the handles harder as I continued down. As I sloshed my way down The Slide, it became harder to hold on. Eventually, I was knocked from my inner tube. My life, or death, was dependent on my right hand. It was the only thing that connected me to the tube. I could hear the slide laughing at me. I told myself that it would take just a little longer.
I shut my eyes and prayed. I prayed to God, Allah, Buddha, anyone willing to listen.
I felt sunlight.
I opened my eyes. I had done it. I had defeated The Slide. The kid who was terrified of everything conquered The Slide.