Escape Plan | Teen Ink

Escape Plan

By KAndrew GOLD, Bow, New Hampshire
KAndrew GOLD, Bow, New Hampshire

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing." - Benjamin Franklin
“The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.” - Ayn Rand
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" - Phillippians 4:13

I will not be ruled by time. I will not conform to the ticking, tocking, wheeling, swirling mass of humans going round and round to the clack of a clock. I will break the perfect circle of time and run free, through the fields of emptiness, through the vacant parking lots to the shops that never open and are always open, to the abyss where water swirls with no rhythm or lilt. No one will wonder where I am, no one will have the time. I cannot hide beneath a desk any longer, screaming the tick, tock, tick, tock out of my head. I cannot wait for the bus, the bell, the Library to open anymore. I will roam free, alone. No one else has ever escaped the conveyer belt, here, there, now, then, almost, yet, already. Or perhaps they have, and their empty spaces are filled, and I have never noticed them on my never ending journey from A to C, from X to Z. Will you see my empty space when i am gone? Will there be a new child in it, running when she is nearly late, slowing when uncomfortably early? Please, do not forget your friend who once was here, body clapping in time to the watches. Heart beating with yours to the sound of a drum holding the world at a persistent revolve. Hold my winnowing spirit in your mind as you step and stomp and shift through the atmosphere at the pace set by Time. I will soon be gone, through that little space between Tick and Tock; think of me when you hear it. I didn’t hear it until recently, and that was when I saw the space between time, and knew that was where I belonged. That there did not have to be time. That I could escape. Remember me when you hear it, or when you don’t hear it. For it is the vacancy you must hear. Not hear. And perhaps, later, after, soon, you can join me. But first you must forget these words. No more - now, again, tomorrow, today, week, month, year, century, millennium. Forget history, progression, long ago. Forget now. And come. With me.