A Flower of Peace and Hope | Teen Ink

A Flower of Peace and Hope

By Begimay Ahmatova BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Begimay Ahmatova BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

In one of the “Sub-Level Districts”, there lived a mundane girl with a mundane life. This young girl wasn’t as kind as a saint. She wasn’t as brave as a heroine. She wasn’t a genius and she certainly wasn’t an exotic beauty. Nothing about her was particularly special, not even the fact that she wanted to be special. However, this ordinary girl had an extraordinary name. One that she felt was too unsuited for her, yet she desperately wanted to live up to.
       Names carried a lot of power in the “Post-World”. People had very little. Names were perhaps one of the few things they could afford to gift to one another. This girl’s  parents spent much time pondering on the perfect name to bestow upon their only child. It was a rare chance since her mother and father could not afford to have another baby. Sadly, this was common.
        It was customary to name a newborn after a week. Her parents waited a month to name her. They wanted to let her develop into the type of person she was destined to be before they chose. During that period of time, she showed that she was a good-natured and bubbly baby girl. No matter how tired or unhappy her parents were, she’d restore the sense of joy and hope in them that they forgot. They hoped that she could bring that sense of peace to everyone she encountered. For this reason, they dubbed her “Nadirene”.
        The city in which Nadirene lived in was, in lack of a better word, inhabitable. It was overpopulated and the throngs of citizens had as much personal space as a fish in the water tank of an Asian market. Smog polluted the hemisphere so heavily that it was eternally dark. No natural light could penetrate through the cloudy obstructions. Still, it was much better than the ground below.
         The “Great Destruction” practically annihilated all the greenery and wildlife of the “Pre-World”. The myriad of colors had faded to the drab grey of the “Post-World Restoration Era” over time. Skyscrapers occupied every available space, and as the population increased, so did the height of these monstrosities. They seemed to merge together as one large unit and touch the sky. Unfortunately, only the most wealthy and powerful people could afford to call the levels closest to the heavens home. These upper class citizens lived in comfort and luxury. Even the air they breathed was the most pure and nonlethal artificial recreation.
           Meanwhile, the less entitled were forced to live in poverty in the lower levels. They were heavily taxed, misrepresented by the Emperor-King, and were forced to endure the less than pleasant living conditions of the "Sub-Level Districts". Those who were of able body worked long hours in menial jobs for very little pay. Oftentimes, children had to work at a young age to help their households. Furthermore, the education that was provided covered only the basics. Higher education was an extravagant affair. So the youth anticipated learning what was offered, as life in their districts wasn’t quite enviable.
            Crime and destitution breed hate and hopelessness in the poverty-stricken hearts of many. Their affluent counterparts in the “Xiel District” had not a care in the world. They sought not to improve life for their fellow men. Nothing was the same after the apocalypse. Not even in this city, “Puissant Stronghold”, perhaps one of the most sustainable and secure metropolis of the “Post-World”. The world had changed drastically after the “Great Destruction”. The apocalypse had left everything in havoc. Everything except the woods beyond the city walls of “Puissant Stronghold.”
             Nadirene was fascinated with it. While other young girls avoided the subject all together, she brought it up in every conversation. After all, it was something of a mystery to the urban inhabitants. No one knew its’ history nor its’ origin, but the most puzzling and frightening question of all was how such an ecosystem could exist. After all, the “Post-World” had long ago lost Mother Nature to the apocalypse, along with everything else. Therefore, many regarded it as just another dangerous anomaly-a thing to be avoided. Despite this popular opinion, some believed it to be a miracle. They saw it as a relic of a golden era before it was ravaged by mass destruction.
            According to her society, this wasn’t the best thing a girl of a such an impressionable age should’ve agreed to. Nonetheless, Nadirene became a silent believer. However, whenever she voiced her opinion, it was promptly retorted with, “Preposterous! How can you still believe in such nonsense after the world ended”? Laughter would then ensue and Nadirene would begrudgingly allow the conversation to move on, letting the subject of the inexplicable forest be forgotten.
            She soon learned that people didn’t take kindly when she talked about her strange obsession. So she only discussed it with her loving parents. After some time, they were the only people she talked to at all. Of course, this had nothing to do with her experiences with others. Her parents just sheltered her from the outside world after “Puissant Stronghold” set new, stricter laws that jeopardized the lives of the lower class. A curfew was set, documentation was needed on hand, and crimes were monitored more regularly. Failure to comply to the rules or to the enforcers was punishable by banishment to the woods. This was the same as death.
            For centuries, “Puissant Stronghold” faced the rising epidemic of overpopulation and crime. At one point it was so severe that drastic measures had to be taken. Banishing the poor because of random misdemeanors was a quick solution. In three years, one third of the population had disappeared into the woods and were never heard from again. Nadirene’s parents were growing concerned by the city and most importantly, what it held in the future for their daughter.
            At this time, Nadirene was fifteen. She was well out of school, but her parents did not permit her to work or even be outside. Like a bird in a cage, Nadirene was cooped inside for years. She cooked, cleaned, and basically tried to pass the time. She didn’t mind it that much. She loved her parents and understood their actions. It was only during the lonesome hours while they were away that she thought of the outside world.
           Nadirene fondly recalled her time in school. She missed having friends her own age and she wanted to experience that again. She savored every happy memory of that time like the sweet her mother brought her on her twelfth birthday, as a special award for completing her education. Then, when all her good memories ran out, she recalled the bad ones. She repeated this memory cycle every day until her parents came.
          On one fateful morning, Nadirene awoke to find her father delirious, sweating, and running a high fever. He was gravely ill and there was no medicine in the house. Her mother rapidly went out to get some as Nadirene took care of him. All their month’s pay was used to buy third-rate medicine, but it was better than nothing. When Nadirene’s mother returned, an unwelcome visitor followed.
         “Mrs. Tilasm?”, asked the man in a uniform.
         “Yes-s,” she nervously stuttered.
          “Ma’am, by the direct authorization of the Emperor-King and the decree of the “Puissant Stronghold Criminal Monitoring Act”, you have missed a day of work today without authorization and therefore have endangered this society to your willful and reckless behavior. This criminal act is punishable by banishment from “Puissant Stronghold” effective immediately.
           “Wha-,” gasped an incredulous Mrs. Tilasm. Nadirene mimicked her mother’s expression as they both processed this information.
           “Ma’m, if you do not comply I will have to take drastic measures,” the officer said menacingly.
            Immediately, she denied that she’s trying to be rebellious and repeated that she will do as he said. Meanwhile, Nadirene looked back and forth from the officer to her mother to her father. All the while, fighting an inner battle with herself. At last she came to a decision and with a resolute face, she kissed her sick father on the forehead and rose from her chair. Through her peripheral vision, she saw her mother gathering some items in a bag and sobbing in terrible heaves. Nadirene faced the officer and declared, “I will trade places with my mother.”
            Her mother stopped crying and stared horrified at her. The officer was shocked for a second but then his uninterested look returned. “The city doesn’t care who goes, as long as someone does. Seeing as how you are willing, then there is no need of the old hag.”
            Nadirene’s mother immediately rushed over to her daughter and attempted to argue with her, but the tears interfered with her words. Nadirene started crying herself after looking at her mother. “Don’t worry mother, I want to go. Stay with father and look after him well. I love you both so much.” The officer started pulling Nadirene’s arm as her mother protested. The officer got annoyed with the whining and bickering, so he hit Mrs. Tilasm. She fell hard. Nadirene shouted and attempted to break free from his iron grip. Alas, her fighting was futile. He knocked her out and dragged her away from the only life she has ever known.
           Nadirene woke up in a sea of darkness with nothing but moss beneath her and waves of leaves above. She recognized nothing from this view. The realization that she was in the infamous woods suddenly hit her. She recalled the very last scenes that led up to her situation and broke down into child-like sobs as she curled into a ball. Eventually she fell asleep like that. The second time she woke up, she was more prepared.
           “Okay, okay, so I have to stop freaking out.” She breathed slowly in and out as she got up and started walking. “This is crazy. I’m crazy. Why did I say that? What was I trying to do? Ugh! But, I mean, I didn’t have anything left for me back home. Didn’t I want to see the world? Wasn’t seeing the forest my dream? Sure, this isn’t exactly the way I wanted to come here but...I’m such a coward, why was I so reluctant at first. I shouldn’t have to think to save mama and papa.” 
            As time passed, Nadirene’s excitement grew as she noticed that it wasn’t as bad as the rumors speculated. The temperature got warmer and it got easier for her eyes to see after they get accustomed to the dark. She even started humming a tune, like she used to do at home to pass the time. She remembered that the song was based on a legend that survived from the “Pre-World” days.
            “Wasn’t it about a flower that was said to have magical properties. It could grant anyone a wish, no matter how big. Wouldn’t that be nice. If I found it I would wish to live in the “Xiel District” with mama and papa. Then we’d all be happy and rich. We’d buy anything we wanted. We could even buy proper medicine.” Her father’s sick face flashed in her mind. “The flower was said to be in the woods. Maybe it’s in here. After all, no one knows much about this forest. And I don’t have anything to do anyway.”
             Nadirene continued walking for what seemed like forever. Tired, hungry, and scared of the noises in the woods, she finally collapsed under a canopy of leaning trees. She started to wish her parents were here. Then, she began to worry about them. “Are they okay? Is dad feeling better? Are they upset at me?” Suddenly, she grew frustrated at her world, how things like that could just happen to people like her and no one could help. “I wish I could help everyone so no one could ever end up like me ever again”, Nadirene muttered bitterly.
             Just as her body got heavier and her vision got darker, a pulse of blinding, warm light emitted from nearby. A voice asked, “Would you really help them? Sacrifice everything?” Nadirene thought she could hear the legend tune that she sang from that direction as well. “My parents locked me up inside because of the dangers of the world, but either way I got here. I just regret that I wasted so much time and now I’m probably going to die here.”
          The melodious voice replied, “Yes, you most likely will, but before that you can do one great deed worthy of your name.”
          After hearing that, in a daze, Nadirene used the last amount of energy she had, she crawled towards the light.
What stood before her was incredible. The tops of the trees opened up to a beautiful ink sky with shining silver orbs. They illuminated the glade before her. A plain of golden grass covered the ground. Directly in the center stood a gorgeous flower unlike anything she had ever seen. The stem was gold and silver with vibrant plum petals, cascading like a waterfall to the ground. Nadirene came closer and stood with her mouth agape.                      "Could this be the flower of the legend?” she spoke in a hushed whisper. In that moment when the song of the flower enchanted her and her hand moved of its own accord to touch it, Nadirene vanished. Suddenly, a great wash of golden and silver light washed over the inhabitants of “Puissant Stronghold” It was the rebirth of the people. Kindness and generosity replaced the hearts of the upper class citizens. The tyrant dictator became a benevolent ruler. The poor replaced their fear and ignorance with compassion and acceptance. And from a particular small apartment in one of the “Sub-Level Districts”, a man awoke from a delirious disease to see the crying and joyous face of his wife staring at him.

I really like dystopian novels, so I wanted to try to write something in that genre. I also apprectiate a little bit of melancholy, so I tried my best to cast that sort of atmosphere in the story. Hopefully people will enjoy the story.