The Eclipse of 623 BC | Teen Ink

The Eclipse of 623 BC

March 2, 2015
By Arraenae GOLD, Cupertino, California
Arraenae GOLD, Cupertino, California
11 articles 4 photos 0 comments

The Eclipse of 623 BC
Social Studies Assignment
In history, as well as life, different sources can have completely different depictions on what was happening, even while telling the truth (as they know it). The sources below are all about the Eclipse of 623 BC, which caused a huge religious and political upheaval in Old Ailithan. Evaluate the sources and make a claim on whether they are trustworthy or not. Make sure that you can back up your claims.


The Solar Eclipse
Written by a Mithran Priest

The Solar Eclipse is an event that happens when the moon blocks our view of the sun, and vice versa. Thus, Great Mithros’s view of the Earth is blocked. His rays of truth are blocked by the scheming moon, and very often it incites the heretics. They claim that the Solar Eclipse is the crowning of the Goddess. Obviously, such blasphemy cannot be permitted, and it is advised that priests watch the people carefully during this time.
In the days around the Solar Eclipse, Mithros’s power is weakened, and thus the Goddess grows stronger. During these dark times, it is only our prayers and rituals that keep the Goddess from destroying us all.

Missing stars?
John Canon
February 10, 623 BC
Today was the day of the solar eclipse. Total solar eclipses are rare in Ailithan, so I traveled to Mnt. Kumbru to observe it. Was blocked by Mithran priests, but that is not important. As predicted the moon’s shadow blocked the sun for exactly 2 minutes and 47 seconds at 1:58 PM. At approximately 7:30 PM today I went outside. The stars forming the “Goddess” and “Cat” constellation appeared to have been blocked from view. Other stars seem to be in normal position in sky, but cannot be confirmed as there are too many of them. To be investigated.

MIZZY’S PRIVATE JOURNAL
SNOOPERS WILL BE FOUND AND PUNISHED

February 12, 623
I saw a WINGED cat today! A WINGED cat!!!!!! Mother and Father don’t believe me, but I’ll make them. It’s a WINGED CAT!!!!! They have to believe this, and who cares if the priests say that cats are evil? Something as awesome as a WINGED CAT can NOT be evil.
Mother and Father didn’t believe me either when I saw that woman with the glowy dress, but I know that wasn’t a hallucination. I think maybe I should just start keeping this to myself.

Decoded message of blasphemy found in the Ailithan Courier

Yesterday was the day of the Solar Eclipse, when Great Mithros crowns the Goddess. The priests believe that She is evil, but they are wrong. The only reason why the Goddess was still imprisoned was because of the Mithran rituals. They held the Goddess in the night sky against Mithros’s wishes.
Now, however, the Goddess and Her Consort are free.I believe that the priests will find the Goddess quickly, but the Cat will likely stay free. Spread the word. The Goddess is coming soon.

Obviously, the heretics are becoming unruly again. We must search the Ailithan Courier and make sure that its staff are loyal to the true faith. Get the followers praying every other day. Do a Ritual of Finding too. If Mithros wishes so, we will soon recapture the Goddess and the Cat.
--  Archbishop Preston

 

Note: this assignment is due March 21, 1024 AD.


The author's comments:

Here, "BC" and "AD" don't stand for "Before Christ" and "After Death". Instead, they stand for "Before Cataclysm" and "After Disaster".