The End of The Line (Part 1) | Teen Ink

The End of The Line (Part 1)

February 14, 2015
By Blizzic BRONZE, Redondo Beach, California
Blizzic BRONZE, Redondo Beach, California
2 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I demand cookies!"






-Michael J. Caboose


Inspired by Roosterteeth’s Red Vs Blue


This is a Compilation of Letters and Documents for the Endline Official Records.


A letter from the Indigo Operative Cooperation, to the esteemed Dr. Spearwood, administrator of Skyworld Industries. 2345.
Dear Administrator,
   I realize that you and your company are eager to begin the project you so recently announced at the International Science Expo. But I must warn you, your small company will never complete it’s goal. The money you need will not be raised, especially not by a dying world. While I agree that the virus is causing quite an issue, I believe that our research should be focused towards finding a cure, and not simply running. Those who support you fear for their lives, and soon the virus will take them. And of course, we are the Indigo Operative Cooperation. We must remind you of the soul Operative we are meant to enforce. Do not make us shut down your project, or rather, your company, just because you refuse to change your goals. We look forward to your cooperation.
From,
Dr. Earl Marigold, manager of the Indigo Operative Cooperation.

A response from Skyworld Industries, to Dr. Marigold, manager of the Indigo Operative Cooperation. 2345.
Dear Manager,
   While I understand your concern, I must insist on my continuation of Project Endline. It is important that humanity, possibly the smartest beings in the universe, live past a simple epidemic. We cannot let that stop us. Hence, we will continue our research and development  of the… escape pod, as some are calling it. We already have main exhaust ports mapped out. We may be a small company, but great things come in small packages. We are capable of saving humanity through our actions. And while I am fully aware of the Indigo Operative, I need to remind you of the Castle Operative: “When it comes to it, anyone capable of saving humanity itself should do so, no matter the cost.”  Also, Merry Christmas, Dr. Marigold.
From,
Dr. Matthew Spearwood

A reply to the response of Skyworld Industries, to Dr. Spearwood. 2346.
Document;;Attachment:

Operative # 47: Castle Operative: When humanity is at it’s most bleak point, when there is no hope of anything else, only then will this Operative be completed. But, when it comes to it, anyone capable of saving humanity itself should do so, no matter the cost. Any futile or unnecessary attempts will be known as crime.

Operative # 103: Indigo Operative: We must define the following actions as against Operation: complete and total abandonment of our home planet, no matter the cause. This Operative does indeed cancel out against the Castle Operative and the Mustang Operative.

Dear Administrator,
   I am fully aware of the Castle Operative. You should not cite sources you do not understand, Doctor, as it is clear that the Indigo Operative takes control over the Castle Operative. What you are suggesting we do as a solution to the Ardepra Virus is crazy! Not only is it against Operation, but you are leaving so many behind. Not everyone thinks the way you do. And at this point, your project will take so long, most of humanity will be gone already. Please, I urge you to contribute your time towards a cure for Ardepra. Also, I am Jewish, Doctor.
From, Dr. Earl Marigold.

A second response from Skyworld industries, to the manager of the Indigo Operative Cooperation. 2346.
Document;;Attachment:

Disease Report. 2304. #1878349183
Subject: Ardepra (Aremoih dep Rgayzphy)
Spread Rate: 326
Kill Rate: 235/236
Spread Conditions: Air, Contact, Water, Unknown
Symptom Description: Appears as a simple cold at first: coughs, runny nose, watery eyes. The second day of having it, victims develop Insomnia and Paranoia. After a few more days, the victim’s internal organs are attacked viciously, killing quickly and painfully. The victim shows almost no signs of irregularity during this. Those around him/her are now infected. That is how quickly this spreads.
Posthumous: The body’s eyes may twitch
Danger Scale Rating: 10
Possible Cures: Unknown
Comments: We’ve never had a perfect 10 before! We need a cure, now!

Dear Manager,
   This disease is worse than anything we have ever seen hit the earth. Hundreds of thousands are dead. Millions are infected as we speak. It hides in plain sight, making everyone on the planet fear a simple cold. When it strikes, it spreads easier than anything we’ve ever seen. Then everyone in it’s radius is dead. But, most importantly, there hasn’t been a single account of anything that could combat it’s effects. (by “combat it’s effects” I mean ward of death). We will not find a cure in time. But our plan will save humanity. My plan is the only thing that can save us. So, when the time comes, I hope you’ll join me on the Endline.
From,
Dr.Matthew Spearwood

A response to Dr. Spearwood from the Indigo Operative Cooperation. 2346.
Dear Administrator,
   You are a fool! I know of the disease! I know of it’s effects!  But just because there has not been any cure found does not mean that there will not be one! You truly believe that it is ethical to simply leave earth behind?! You think you’ll be able to finish your ship and get it into space before Ardepra takes us all?! You are insane!  Don’t you realize that your actions are AGAINST OPERATION?! The naming of your ship seems to suggest that it is the the end of the line for humanity, but it only means the end of the line for your company, if you refuse me one last time.
   This is your last chance, Doctor. I suggest you save your research for what really matters.
From, Dr. Earl Marigold.

A message to Dr. Spearwood of Skyworld Industries. 2346.
Dear Administrator,
   Unfortunately, it would seem that you are ignoring us. You continue to go against Operative 103. It would seem I have no choice. It is time for us to officially shut down Skyworld Industries. Your workers will join the quest for a cure. UNM troopers are coming to your main location to bring you in for arrest. Your project has been officially halted.
   You know, I always admired you. You were always a genius to me. Your new ideas and experiments were what I looked forward to most at the expo. You were brilliant, and I trusted that you’d do the right thing. But you’ve lied to me. You’ve avoided the law and ignored my threats.  You would abandon everything we have built the second a pandemic begins. I have no choice but to bring you in.
From, Dr. Earl Marigold

A response to the Indigo- to Dr. Earl Marigold.
  Dear Manager,
    I am unsurprised by your choice to arrest me. I would have done the same thing in your shoes. But I must ask a final favor of you. If a cure is ever developed, if the world is somehow saved at the last moment… I want you to destroy the Endline. As an example of what must be done to those who go against Operation. While I felt my actions were right at the time, I realize now that abandoning our planet is wrong. I will come quietly, and I do not expect my realization to save me.
   Sincerely, Dr. Matthew Spearwood.

Report- Third Division- Captain A. Daniels
Description: We were advancing towards the facility. Then there was a flash, and I saw Private Robert fall over. Soon, the entire second floor of the building was lit up with small arms fire. The people inside yelled at the top of their lungs like a battle cry. We shot up at the windows, but we couldn’t get a good shot at them. A bunch of people ran out of the lower floor with weird weapons that looked like they were improvised spears, made of welded metal. Most of them were shot down, but we soon got swarmed. Most of my men had already died, so I quickly called retreat and we ran for it, hiding in the nearby forest until we were sure they wouldn’t find us.

 


A message to the Indigo Operative Cooperation from Skyworld Industries. 2347.
Dear Manager,
   Many things have occurred in the last couple weeks. One of those being our completion of the space cruiser Endline. We had been working on it long before our introduction of it at the expo. We had been working on it since only a few days after the epidemic began. We have always known that the virus would be the end of us if we did not act. We kept it underground, making sure that no one knew of our progress, for fear of arrest. People have joined our cause, and we all worked day and night, not even stopping to eat lunch. And now, it is done. Capable of holding over a billion people, the Endline is capable of producing artificial gravity. It is basically a moving city, as it has gardens, farms, apartments, homes, shops, and restaurants. It has buildings for companies such as your own. It has a system for expanding the ship as the population grows. And it even has it’s own democratic government. We can live here forever if we need to, floating through space. But we do not plan to. One day, we will reach another planet. Another planet like Earth. And that will be our new home.
   Another thing that has occurred is our resistance to the United Nations Military troops that arrived at our facility last thursday. I was shot in the stomach; mortally wounded. My doctor informs me that I will be dead in a few days. But I don’t care. I have accomplished my goal. We have managed to save mankind from complete extinction. But many brave people who worked for Skyworld have fallen. And that simply breaks my heart. 
   The last thing that has occurred is the sudden increase in spread rate for the Ardepra virus. It has spread to everywhere on the planet, becoming nearly impossible to avoid. Many have died. I would assume you know this, however. So this message is entirely to invite you and your company to join us. Since the main areas of the world developing a cure are now made up of dead bodies, I would assume that you finally agree with me. The Endline is the last hope for mankind. We have loaded millions and millions of people onboard, and there is still plenty of space. However, more and more infected are turned down from us everyday. We must leave soon. So I would hurry. That is, if you are still alive. Finally, I must thank you for being so lenient with how quickly you chose to sick the law on us. Not only that, but your cooperation has been committed to aiding with the virus and fending off it’s attempts to spread, buying us time. We have saved humanity thanks to your efforts. So thank you, and goodbye.
   With love, Dr. Matthew Spearwood

A reply to Dr. Matthew Spearwood from Dr. Earl Marigold. 2347.
Dear Dr. Spearwood,
   I thank you for your invitation. However I must decline. I have spent too much of my life trying to save earth to simply leave it. I will go down with the ship, and die with those who can’t make aboard your ship. Not only that, but many people in my cooperation are already dead, and it is likely that I am infected at this very moment. So… I must bid my final goodbye as well. Thank you… for doing what you thought was right and completing Operative #47. I am sorry that I lost faith in you. Now that it has been restored, I can look up to you until we both die. So farewell to you, Matthew. Thank you once again.
Sincerely, Dr. Earl Marigold

P.S: I’ve always thought that those Operatives are kind of stupid anyway.

Written By Tanner McEveety
December 16, 2014


The author's comments:

This was inspired by the letters that each episode of Red Vs Blue season six opened with. It has nothing to do with the actual show. This story debates the ethics of leaving our home planet behind. There is a second part, though much different than this part, that I should upload soon. I also may find a way to put this on youtube. ENJOY