The Sounds of Silence | Teen Ink

The Sounds of Silence

February 10, 2015
By RynKep SILVER, Bloomington, Indiana
RynKep SILVER, Bloomington, Indiana
6 articles 0 photos 2 comments

   I’ve done it since I was little. Before, it was a nightmare. There was nothing I could do. How could I? I was so young. Now it’s different. Now I have mastered the art of silence. I refuse to speak. If a single misinterpreted word slips through, bad things happen. My parents used to make me do bad things with my curse. They were evil. Theft and robbery mostly. They committed suicide when I was almost six. Right before my eyes. That’s what the reports say. I didn’t cry. I wasn’t sad. I didn’t miss them. I was relieved. No more bad things. I was sent to my Uncle Ben’s house. He’s my father’s brother. He quickly learned of my curse and the truth about my parents. It was that accident, on a person I loved, that I vowed never to speak again. Unless I was completely isolated. Ben forgave me quickly. It wasn’t on purpose. When Uncle Jason, Ben’s husband, learned of it he was still nice to me. I really liked Uncle Jason. Both my uncles were nice. They didn’t bully me into being mean. They made me birthday cakes and took me to museums and zoos. They made me forget my miserable first six years on the planet, giving me a brilliant childhood of storybooks and scraped knees and scoldings when I did something wrong. That wasn’t very often. But through all of that, I didn’t speak. I wouldn’t speak. I never wanted to speak again. Until I met him. Around him I wanted to talk and sing and laugh and- I can’t. I won’t. One slip of the tongue could ruin everything. All that I have tried to protect would be obliterated. But it hurts. The silence that always brought me comfort suffocates me every time I see him. I can’t call out to even say “Hi”. I doubt he even knows I exist.

   I break from my depressing thoughts and memories as I arrive at the pool. My only solace. Underwater, nothing bad happens when I speak. My words are muffled. I find the pool empty. Perfect. I dive under and complain to my heart’s content about everything. The water also hides my tears released from my stress. I resurface for a gulp of air. I look to make sure nobody is around. The coast is clear. I sing. I love the feeling it gives me. The fact that no one will never hear me doesn’t bother me. As I sing the last word I hear a *BANG-click*. Someone is here with me. I stop mid-note and dive under. Why did they come now? I curl up and wish that they would go away. There is a muffled splash as a boy jumps in next to me. I can’t see him very well through all of the air bubbles. I’m out of air. I push myself off the pool floor and rise to the surface. My curiosity gets the best of me and I turn to see who invaded my utopia. I go right back under again. There is no way that I could have been mistaken. His auburn hair, his piercing green eyes, his mouth slightly curved like it was waiting to reveal his totally adorable smile. I squeeze my eyes shut and wish that the water would swallow me whole. I’m out of luck- and air- so I’m forced to resurface yet again. As my lungs fill with the life giving oxygen he grabs my shoulders and turns me to face him. My cheeks flare a bright red at the sight of his bare chest. I squeak. I actually squeak! I cover my mouth with both hands and shut my eyes. No one has heard so much as a peep out of me in years! And when somebody finally does, it’s a pathetic squeak! I feel completely happy and terrified at the same time. I wonder if this is how Jason feels when he reads his favorite horror books. I can’t avoid him forever. He talks. To me! I open my eyes to meet his surprised, happy face.

  “So you can speak!” He says with a blinding grin. “I’ve always wanted to talk to you, but you always seemed to want to be left alone in your silence and I didn’t want to seem rude talking to you in a one sided conversation.” I feel the heat of embarrassment escape the confines of my cheeks and crawl back to my ears, tainting them scarlet. My hands are still on my face to prevent the words cramming themselves in my mind from escaping. I just shake my head in response. “Does that mean I am being rude?” He looks disappointed. I shake my head again, hoping he will understand. “So I can talk to you?” I nod. “Can we be friends?” Another nod that I hope isn’t too enthusiastic. “Cool!” He flashes his smile at me again. “So, if you do mind me asking,” He says, “If you can speak, why don’t you?” The question is innocent enough, but I feel a stab of guilt and remember what happens when I speak. The pain must have reflected their ghosts in my eyes. He said, “I’m sorry, you must have your reasons.” He looks cute when he realizes he’s wrong. I smile at him. Oops. My hands are still covering my face. I lower them and try smiling again. He looks so relieved and smiles back at me. I feel like I could melt in the water. He floated there for a moment and then he remembers that his hands are under my arms, keeping me from going under again. “Whoa! Sorry!” He quickly releases me and turns away. The tips of his ears are red! Could he possibly like me? No, not possible. There are a million different reasons he wouldn’t like me! My best friends are my gay uncles! Wait. What does that have to do with this? Never mind. He couldn’t possibly like me! Could he? I try to shatter that hope. Hope hurts too much to keep. Unfortunately a little sliver of it is stuck fast. I tell my heart to be content with the fact that he is talking to me and wants to be friends with me. Yeah, right. Like that will last. Even I’m not that naive.
“Since we’re here to swim,” he says as he turns back to me, my mental conversation goes quiet. “Let’s swim! Race you to the other end!” With me still in dream head, he gets a couple seconds head start, but I haven’t been swimming twice a week for nothing. It may be for stress relief, but it has the added benefit of speed. I finally catch up and we hit the wall at the same time. I glare at him for pulling a fast one on me. He just grins. He’s lucky he’s so cute! I stuck my tongue out at him.

   We play for ages, he talks about himself and such, and before we know it we had to go. He walks me to my car. I don’t want to go. “Good night, see you at school on Monday!” He gives me a small smile that I hope means that he is reluctant to leave. It’s probably fatigue. I wave good-bye even though my heart was screaming stay. But he couldn’t. So I get in the car and wish it was Monday already. I close the door and take one last look at his retreating back. In this moment I realize what I felt for him wasn’t puppy love that I would get over. This is a deep, pure love that will stick with me forever. I start the ignition and drive out of the parking lot and head home. I head straight for bed and fall into dreams filled with him.
  Jason wakes me in the middle of a wonderful dream and I gave him my best scorching glare. Then I remember. Oops! I quickly jump out of bed and get dressed in cargo shorts, a plain tee shirt, and boots. I practically fly down the stairs to meet the feast of chocolate chip pancakes covered with cinnamon maple syrup and whipped butter, sausage, and home fries. It looked like a Denny’s breakfast! I grin as I sit at the table and consume the decadent food. The food’s definitely more delicious when it’s organic. I stuff the last bite in my mouth and get up to put the plate in the sink. Jason does the dishes as I stuff my pockets with granola bars. I race to the driver’s seat of the family car. Ben and Jason follow soon after.
    “I don’t think so, kiddo.” Ben says. “Climb in back.”  I give him my best puppy dog pout. The look he gives me says everything. No luck. Sigh. I clamber in back through the space between the driver’s seat and shotgun as a final act of defiance. All I get is an eye roll. Ben takes the wheel and takes us to the local forest to hike. We all climb out. Jason climbs into the driver’s seat as Ben and I head toward the trails. Jason hates hiking, so he meets us at the park at the other end of the six mile trail. As we reach the trees we hear the sound of the van driving away. The hike usually takes two-ish hours, so we got started. Ben is a zoologist and even dabbles in dendrology, so he goes all geek on me and starts a biology lesson on identifying various animal tracks, leaves, and birds. This is common for our monthly hikes, I already kind of know all of the info he’s spouting. I let him banter. I even point out tracks and name them myself. We eat granola bars and play I-spy. The two hours pass quickly. We leave the forest and enter the park area at the top of the mountain. There we find Uncle Jason sitting under a tree on a blanket and reading a horror novel. Shocker. I start walking toward him when all of a sudden Ben shoots out into a run and tackles him. You would think that he, being fifteen years older, would be more mature than me. Yeah, right. That doesn’t seem to be the case. I walk up to the blanket as they start kissing. Gag. I find a picnic basket on the other side of the tree. Jason must have packed it while we hiked. I open it to find two bags of Ruffles, two one liter bottles of soda, three pizzas, three huge cupcakes, a veggie platter, a fruit salad, lots of water, and some sandwiches. I took the basket to the blanket. I find Ben and Jason are cuddled up together with no cares. I couldn’t help but smile. They’re my uncles, so they can gross me out sometimes, but I think they are absolutely adorable together.
    We eat and talk and laugh and I almost manage to put the anticipation for Monday in the back of my mind. Almost. It forces its way back up to the surface of my mind when a familiar Jeep parks next to our van. I blanch. It couldn’t be him! Could it? Seeing him twice on the weekend just after becoming friends? Yeah, right. That would be too lucky! A young girl jumps out of the Jeep. Her long hair is auburn. Like his! As the little girl bolts to the playground he steps out of the driver’s seat and walks after her. He turns his head and our eyes meet. I’m sure my eyes look like saucers so I break contact first and look at my Fanta like it is the most fascinating thing in the world. Unfortunately, Jason takes notice of my reaction and him.
   “Someone you know?” He asks. I nod. “Someone you like.” I turn bright red. That’s enough of an answer for him. Next comes the question I’ve been dreading. “Someone you’re dating?” I shake my head so hard I fear it may fly off! I squeeze my eyes shut and start chugging the soda. Then I hear his voice.
   “Hey! What a coincidence! I was afraid I wouldn’t see you until Monday!” I look up and meet those gorgeous green eyes and try not to swoon in front of everybody. I’m entranced until I feel a tug on my sleeve. I look down to see a little girl who looks just like him! Her eyes are the same intense shade of green and she has the sweetest little smile! I stand up so she can pull me to the swing set where she immediately jumps into the swing with an excited grin. I smile back and as I walk around to push her from behind I notice it. That explains why he accepted my muteness so quickly. His sister has a hearing aid. Based on the fact that she hasn’t spoken a word since we met, I assume it is just for show. So that people understand that she is deaf. We play for a while until I notice him walking towards us. Behind him, the picnic is gone. I guess it’s time to go. I feel my young playmate jump off my back and leap into her brother’s arms. I watch with interest as they converse in sign language. Maybe I should learn that! But what if my curse affects even that? But I can write and it doesn’t affect anyone! But maybe that’s because-
   “Bye! See you Monday!” He says, cutting off my train of thought. His little sister waves good-bye and I wave back. I feel a little lonely as they step into their Jeep and drive away. I hear Ben and Jason calling my name from our van. I climb in back as Ben starts the engine. We drive home in content silence.
   We drive into the driveway to find a strange car parked in front of house. There is a skinny old lady standing on our porch with a pruney face and long white hair twisted into a simple braid. She watches as we park and spill out of the car. She smiles cheerfully when our eyes meet. Her eyes told story that didn’t match her cheery facade. They look like they could devour your soul if you’re unfortunate enough to cross her path. She looks eerily familiar for someone I am seeing for the first time. I feel a shiver run up my spine. This is probably what a rabbit feels when it encounters a wolf. Ben steps onto the porch and breezes past her. Jason does the same. How could they not see her? I catch her glaring as I walk past. There is something about her that reminds me of someone. I wonder who it could be. I move to walk past her like my uncles. They must have a reason for giving her the cold shoulder. They’re usually very welcoming. Before I make it to the door she catches my wrist.
   “You’re her child, aren’t you?” She says in a sharp, clear voice. “You’re my dear Melanie’s child! You look just like her! You also look like your wretched father, but I can ignore that.” I blanch and yank my hand away like she had electrified me. I’m in paralyzed terror until Jason pulls me through the door. I’m too shocked to hear words, but I know that there is a lot of shouting. As I slowly come back to my senses I hear the words “Filthy homos!” and “Close-minded hag!” before the door slams shut. I’m still standing in stunned silence as I watch Ben and Jason whisper in a private conversation and then turn to look at me. I’ve never seen such grim and serious looks on either of their faces. I am finally able to move and the shock of everything almost made me lose my control. Almost. Not quite. I take a deep breath before I make the mistake of speaking and just stare at my uncles. They look ten years older.
   “Looks like Grandma paid us a surprise visit!” Ben says, trying for humor and failing miserably. My mother’s mother just showed up on my doorstep. My grandmother! After ten years! That’s why she looked familiar! She looks just like an older version of mom! But why was she here? What does she want? Why did she insult my uncles like that? Just what is going on!? I look at my uncles who were looking incredibly ashamed. Jason just put his arm around my shoulder and led me to the couch. We sat down next to each other as Ben sat right in front of us on the coffee table.
   “As you have probably figured out, that was your grandmother.” He says. I nod to confirm. “She, for the first nine years since your parents’ death, did not know of your existence. She disowned your mother when she married your father and never spoke to her again. She didn’t even come to the funeral, shabby though it was since they were criminals. Last year, she was hospitalized and the hospital did a background check. They found you as her closest next of kin and told her. Ever since, she has been coming to take custody of you.” He pauses to allow me to digest this new information. I have relatives on my mother’s side! Well- A relative. All of Uncle Ben’s relatives treat me like some sort of disease. Let’s just say, I don’t look forward to family reunions. But I feel like there is more to the story than just a grandmother wanting custody of her long lost granddaughter. I look at Ben and will him to continue. He does. “She has told me that she wishes you to live in a proper environment. Her word were, and I’m quoting this, ‘My grandchild doesn’t need to be corrupted by you filthy homos. It’s a wonder that they let you take custody in the first place. Who knows what will happen to the poor child’s mind! I will take custody and you are never to see them again.’ I, of course refused. You are my child and some old biddy wants to take you from me? I don’t think so! I told her to go away at once. I know I should have told you about her. She is your grandmother. But I don’t believe her hospital story one bit. And, I didn’t want you to be taken from me! From us!” He looked at Jason and took his free hand. His other was already holding mine. I look at Ben. Just ten minutes ago he looked like an old man. Now he looks like a young boy.
   I let go of their hands. The look of terror on both their faces almost made me cry. I hugged them. Tight. These two were protecting me, their child, for so long. I started crying. I am the luckiest person in the world to have such wonderful dads. That is what they are. They are my dads. No more “uncle” as their title. I pull away enough to show them that I am smiling. We all just sit there crying. It is such a nice moment. Or, it was. Ben’s stomach growls, ruining the moment and reminding us that dinnertime is drawing near. Jason breaks the hug first.
   “Okay! Off to the shower with you, kiddo. You stink! Babe, you can help me make the chicken salad for tonight’s dinner.” He says, wiping the tears off of his face. I get up to comply and the rest of the evening continues on in peace. After dinner we play Uno and then we all fall asleep on the couch while watching Sleepless in Seattle. I am in complete- No. There is no word that describes how incredibly happy I am.
   I wake up drooling on the couch with Jason and Ben on either side of me. I smile until I read the clock next to the TV. 6:40. I bolt upright as I hear the sound of the bus driving by. Shoot! Monday morning! School! I shake my dads awake and run up to my room to get dressed. I grab a pair of jeans and a green tee shirt and scramble to put them on and get to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I fly back down the stairs, grabbing my iPad and whiteboard along the way. I find Jason in the kitchen packing a PB&J for breakfast and Ben putting on a jacket and grabbing the car keys. I wasn’t allowed to drive to school on my own since it is so dark in the morning. I grab the sandwich and wave goodbye to Jason. Ben kissed him and murmurs something under his breath before he comes to join me in the car. We go to school and I nod to Ben as thanks for giving me a ride. As I enter the building the bell rings and I make a mad dash for the English department for first period. The warning bell goes off as I walk into the classroom. I take my seat and finally breathe. That was a close call! As the teacher takes attendance I feel a tap on my shoulder. That’s right! In this class, I sit next to him!
   “That was a close call today! Did you sleep in?” I nod. He gives me his adorably quirky smile and I just barely manage to keep myself together. I pull out my whiteboard and quickly scribble Stayed up late watching ‘Sleepless in Seattle’. He just laughs a little and ruffles my hair. I feel my face heat up. Again. Sigh. Class starts as the teacher talks about what words in English derive from the Greek root dendr. Throughout the day he talks to me, even during lunch! I am so happy. I’m almost sad when I hear the last bell ring. He walks with me to the bus bay and talks about his little sister. He even slips into sign language, even though he knows I’m not deaf. The bus engines start up, telling us it is time to go. He slips a piece of paper into the side pocket of my backpack and boards his bus. As I take a seat on my bus, I look at the slip of paper he gave me. It has his phone number on it! I immediately add him to my contacts that only has two other numbers on it. I can’t believe it! I have his number! I could cry from happiness. I get off of the bus in front of my house and feel lighter than air! That is, until I saw Grandma on the step. What A Mood killer! I know she saw me. I decide the back door is a better choice to avoid her. I sense her icy cold aura behind me as I enter the backyard. Stalker much? I sprint for the back porch, jump over the stairs, and am through the doorway. The door is slammed in her face.
   “Let me in!” She calls through the door. Yeah, right. “I just want to talk” I glare at the door. “I don’t know what your uncles have told you, but I can assure you that I am not some evil witch!” I falter. At the end of the day, she is my grandmother. She actually has some interest in me! Maybe I should give her a chance. Still wary, I put the chain on the door and open it the two inches it allows and look at her. “Hi! I’m your Grandma Morana.” I give her my best disinterested look. “I was so happy to hear that I had a grandchild! I felt so sorry for you. I know about what your parents did. Especially your horrid father! Then you were sent to be raised by two men who knew nothing of raising children! I came to rescue you from your horrible situation! Come, let me take care of you! Let me show you what a proper home is like!” She reaches through the door and grabs my wrist, sending shivers down my spine. Each word, each syllable, just made me angrier and angrier. How dare she! Not only does she suddenly show up on my doorstep, expecting me to jump into her “loving” arms, She insults my family and assumes I’m in an awful situation when I am perfectly happy! I yank my arm out of her hand and shut the door, turning the deadbolt. I may think there is nothing more important than family, but she isn’t. I could scream at her for all of the things she had said. I am very proud of my dads and no one, grandmother or otherwise, is going to change that! I grab a bag of pretzels from the pantry and stomp up the stairs to do my math homework. I have a feeling it is going to be a long night. I need to tell Ben and Jason what happened when they get home.
   The words were already written for them to read when they walked through the door. They read it and immediately call the lawyer. And the police for good measure. The house is thrown into chaos the next morning as we go to the police station to give them my statement and request for a restraining order. They lawyer tells us to look more into Grandma Morana to try and find any reason why she would suddenly burst into my life. I wonder if she knows about my curse. Maybe she even knows why I have it! No. This woman is psycho. I won’t go to her with any questions. Especially something as private as this dreadful curse! I flinch as they bring her through the precinct. The sight of her gives me the willies! Ben and Jason lead me out of there and take me to get ice cream. I can’t believe all of this is happening! At least I get a little extra time with my dads. That’s a bonus.
   The school day is over and the ice cream parlor is already filling up with students getting their afternoon snacks. We get our ice cream and sit at the window bar. Ben and Jason get into a deep conversation about what to do about the whole stalker grandmother issue. I don’t want to talk about it. I don’t want to even think about it. I go to reach for my phone in my back pocket to be stopped by a small hand. I look to see his little sister looking up at me and smiling hello. I smile back. I notice her brother ordering ice cream for them both. I get off of my stool and lift the little girl up onto my shoulders. She gets the hint and taps her brother on the head. He turns around and looks at us in surprise.
   “Whoa! What do we have here?” He says in mock shock. He signs it out in sign language at the same time. “It’s the quietest two headed monster I’ve ever met!” He reaches up and takes her off of me. “Hiya, skipper!” He says. I forgot. I wasn’t at school today! I didn’t tell him! I didn’t have to explain to anyone why I couldn’t go to school before. I grab my white board from my bag on the counter and tell him that I was at the police station because grandma is stalking me. He looks shocked as he reads it and just ruffles my hair. His sister, who is still in his arms and also read the white board also pats my head. I don’t think she quite understands, but I give her a smile. She smiles back. They get their ice cream. My dads finally take a break from their conversation and greet him and his sister and offer them seats. He tells me what I missed in our shared classes as his sister makes funny faces at my dads. It feels so peaceful. Until she walks in. Morana walked in looking slightly winded. Rage burns in her usually icy eyes. Uh-oh. I feel the blood drain in my face.
   “YOU DAMN FAGGOTS!!!! ALL I WANT IS TO SEE MY GRANDCHILD AND YOU DARE CALL THE POLICE ON ME!!!!! I WILL TAKE THIS TO COURT!!!” She keeps ranting as my dads ignore her. At least, I thought they were. Suddenly Jason stands up slowly. His aura is dark. Even I shiver in fear. Jason never gets angry. He looks like he’s about to blow! I look around. The shop is empty. Everyone must have been scared off by the crazy old lady. I wish I could have run away with them. I do not want to see Jason explode like he is about to.
   “You don’t show up for X amount of years. You pop up on the doorstep out of nowhere. You insult my lifestyle. You demand custody of my precious child that I worked hard to raise into this wonderful person. And now, you are going to sue me? I’m sorry, but that is one battle that you will lose! Not only will you lose it, but I will file my own lawsuit and you will never go near my amazing family EVER again. Do I make myself clear?” Okay then. Jason has the silent type rage. That’s a terrifying sight.
   Her voice turns shaky as she responds.“That child needs a proper home. Yours will never do. Your gay germs all over the place is infectious. I am saving that child! You need to come to your senses and see that what I am doing is for the best.” That’s it! No more. I need to settle this on my own. Only I have the ability to do it. I grab Jason’s shoulder before he can speak out again and look Morana in the eye.
   “Do I look like I am in pain?” I ask. “That I am in a horrible situation?” I see Jason and Ben look at me in shock. This is the first time I have spoken since the time I accidentally told Ben to eat the strawberry I had just picked. My curse compels the listener to follow any order my voice commands. That is how I found out that Ben was severely allergic to strawberries. I stopped speaking entirely after that. No more accidents.
   Today, I have control. Today my curse will help my family. “My dads have raised me since my abusive parents died. That includes your darling daughter, by the way. If you wanted to save me, you should have done it when I was six. This is my family. Those ‘faggots’ are my dads. I love these people.” My voice can’t change what has already happened. Thank goodness. It can however, do what it needs to now. “Leave this family alone and never come near me ever again.” Morana’s eyes glaze over as she becomes the first person in a decade to submit to my voice. She turns around and walks out the door. I watch as she leave. Bittersweet feelings fill my heart. I was forced to use my voice again. It sounded weak and scratchy. Must be from all those years of not being used. I turn to see Ben and Jason crying. Why are they crying? Next thing I know I’m being hugged. I finally breathe the breath I didn’t know I was holding. I look over their shoulders to see him. I forgot he was here! His face looked stunned. Considering what just happened, I can’t blame him.
   “That’s why you don’t speak?” He says. My dads jump at the sound of his voice, look at each other, and made the smart decision to give me some space so I can explain. I pick up the whiteboard where I left it. No. This needs to be said. I will choose my words carefully so he doesn’t go all “puppety” on me.
  “This is my curse. I do not have much control over it, so I don’t speak at all.” His eyes got wider. I didn’t think that was possible. Then he grinned. I was not expecting that.
   “You’re like my sister! Even though she is deaf, it’s like she can feel the sound waves! You two are alike!” Now it’s my turn to look stunned. I look at the little girl. She was like me? Her ability seems to be more of a blessing than a curse, considering her disability. Her innocent eyes said something else though. She doesn’t have a blessing or a curse. She is normal to herself. I reach down and stroke her hair. This is a girl half my age and with a similar ability, but rather than thinking about whether it is a blessing or a curse, she sees it as a fact. Man, have I been stupid. I still won’t speak, but there are other forms of communication. And when I am older, I will do something with my voice. Something that will do some good. I uncap my dry erase marker and write on the whiteboard in my hand. Will you teach me sign language?  His response; “Of course!”
   We walk out of the shop and my dads offer him a ride home from the front seats of the van. He declines. As I bring my hand up to wave good bye he kisses me on the cheek. I freeze and watch as he hastily picks up his sister and walks away. His ears are bright red. Before he is out of earshot, he turns around. “See you tomorrow, Chris!”
   I guess hope isn’t so painful after all.